Likely scammer wants to change address.. I just want to cancel the order.

There's a buyer who has purchased an item from me, they won the auction. Looking in their feedback i saw this note: 

'Clearly a scammer. changed address last minute, claimed it didn't arrive right at the deadline for the claim. Just look through the feedback, all positive but also copies of the same exact feedback. If I could give negative I would but ebay doesn't let me since they sided with the buyer.' 

So, expecting something fishy i waited for their payment, but it didn't come. So i sent an invoice. Then they messaged me back asking to invoice again (Why on earth would you need a second invoice..). I asked why, and they said they needed to change their address.

Now, am i correct in thinking that if i sell it to them, using the address they supply me, that won't match the address on the order, and it doesn't arrive to the order details address, that i lose ALL of my protections as a seller. To me this just reeks of an obvious scam. I'm going to tell them that this order can't go ahead if their address isn't already prepared on their profile. This sounds like a credit card fraud to me personally. Will i face any negative consequences for canceling their order? I don't think sending to an address they supply via messages is a good idea personally. 

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

The other seller that left feedback has already alerted you to what will happen. I don't think in future you should send an invoice. Just set your account so they have 4 days to pay and it would automatically time out and the order would have been cancelled. I don't know if the settings would apply to existing orders but if it's been at least 4 days since they won the bid then if you try to cancel you should see one of the reasons being that buyer didn't pay. It won't impact your account if you use that reason for cancelling. 

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

You should only send to the registered address given by Ebay, otherwise and i suspect what is going on here, they can claim not received. If your not comfortable with the transaction, cancel citing problem with buyers address and add them to your block buyers list.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

It's a shame that you sent an invoice because this means that if you want to cancel the order as unpaid you now have to wait another 4 days before you can do so.

Personally, I'd ignore them and hope that they don't pay for 4 days and would then cancel this order with the 'buyer didn't pay' reason, this will block them from leaving feedback for you.

Just to add though, this bit 

" Just look through the feedback, all positive but also copies of the same exact feedback. "

isn't indicative of anything dodgy. Many business sellers leave auto feedback and use the same comments, so you will often see the same feedback comment but from different sellers on a buyers feedback profile.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

The buyer doesn't need an invoice to change their delivery address.

They select the delivery address on the checkout before they pay.

That's the address you need to send to, it may not be the address their account is registered to.

I used to have parcels delivered to a family members house because I wasn't at home during the day.

The problem is when they ask you to send to a different address than the one on the order after they paid.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

is this the order you just got negative feedback for cancelling?

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent