dairyview123
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Help to identify this item.

I have been trying to find out what an item is that was in an old sewing box that was passed down to me. The sewing box had lots of items from before the 50's for sewing weaving and knitting. Can anyone help or do they recognise it.

It has 'Patented USA Nov-91909'  stamped inside the oval ring.

The curled over rings are movable and the spring comes off. 
The inner is about 3.5" long x 2.5" wide

Please use plain text.
r1j2e3s4j5
Community Member

Re: Help to identify this item.

in reply to dairyview123

Its a sock darner.

Please use plain text.
aernethril
Community Member

in reply to dairyview123

Try asking on Ravelry

********************************************************************************************
Please use plain text.
r1j2e3s4j5
Community Member

in reply to aernethril

aernethril wrote:

Try asking on Ravelry

Why?

Its a sock darner as already said.

Please use plain text.
dinofred1
Community Member

in reply to r1j2e3s4j5

thought sock darners looked like a mushroom.

Please use plain text.
aernethril
Community Member

in reply to aernethril

Still - ask on Ravelry - a very good place full of very knowledgeable people who can give copious amounts of detailed information.

********************************************************************************************
Please use plain text.
aernethril
Community Member

in reply to dinofred1

dinofred1 wrote:

Mine certainly does.

Please use plain text.
cosmic-flyer
Community Member

in reply to aernethril

aernethril wrote:

dinofred1 wrote:

Mine certainly does.

R1 is right

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sock+darner&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UGCPUs7...

Please use plain text.
omni-shambles
Community Member

in reply to cosmic-flyer

One like this in the OG's sewing machine tools.

Such a b*gg*r to use she buys new socks......

Please use plain text.
r1j2e3s4j5
Community Member

in reply to aernethril

aernethril wrote:

Still - ask on Ravelry - a very good place full of very knowledgeable people who can give copious amounts of detailed information.

Im just interested to know if someone gives the answer to a question..........as I did.............what would the OP get by going to another forum, which you shouldnt be directing them to anyway?

They will all say...........Its a sock darner..............or Its a device used for darning.

Look up Sock Darner on Google.....Im sure youll find it shown there. 

Please use plain text.
**towery**
Community Member

in reply to r1j2e3s4j5

it should be better nown a a machine sock darner attachment

thanks to r1j2 

http://edsmum.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/singer-stocking-darner-35776-used-with-simanco-171071-darning...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Please use plain text.
aernethril
Community Member

in reply to r1j2e3s4j5

r1j2e3s4j5 wrote:

aernethril wrote:

Im just interested to know if someone gives the answer to a question..........as I did.............what would the OP get by going to another forum, which you shouldnt be directing them to anyway?

They will all say...........Its a sock darner..............or Its a device used for darning.

I don't think there is any reason why I "should not" redirect someone to another forum which they may find interesting and helpful?  It's just a forum for sharing and helping others - nothing against the rules about that at all.

And your answer may have been technically partially correct, but it failed to supply sufficient or completely accurate for selling an item on eBay as technically it's not a sock darner - but an attachment for a sewing machine to darn socks.

Might have been more helpful to perhaps have supplied some more info for the OP???  Just a thought.

Please use plain text.
r1j2e3s4j5
Community Member

in reply to aernethril

aernethril wrote:

r1j2e3s4j5 wrote:

aernethril wrote:

I don't think there is any reason why I "should not" redirect someone to another forum which they may find interesting and helpful?  It's just a forum for sharing and helping others - nothing against the rules about that at all.

And your answer may have been technically partially correct, but it failed to supply sufficient or completely accurate for selling an item on eBay as technically it's not a sock darner - but an attachment for a sewing machine to darn socks.

Might have been more helpful to perhaps have supplied some more info for the OP???  Just a thought.

I didnt give enough information now?

Deary me.........how petty of you.

Please use plain text.
jambuttyminer
Community Member

in reply to r1j2e3s4j5

Deary me.........how petty of you

You started it

Please use plain text.
dairyview123
Community Member

in reply to r1j2e3s4j5

Thank you so much, ive got half the old village looking now so they are going to be pleased at what it turned out to be:smileywink:

I think im still going to find this useful to use with my sewing machine, thanks again and compliments of the season to you.

dairy....x

Please use plain text.
r1j2e3s4j5
Community Member

in reply to dairyview123

dairyview123 wrote:

Thank you so much, ive got half the old village looking now so they are going to be pleased at what it turned out to be:smileywink:

I think im still going to find this useful to use with my sewing machine, thanks again and compliments of the season to you.

dairy....x

You are more than welcome.

Hope you enjoy your newly named widget and may darning be a pleasure for years to come. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.