shocking Ebay fees

item sells £50+£3.99 shipping eBay stopages £7:21 !! absolutely shocked small time sellers like me all struggling to sell due to economic climate but I feel like deleting my account !!

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

shocking Ebay fees

The fees are correct, 12.8% +30p on that. You have sold over 2.1k items over time so it shoud be no shock to you at all, as you will well know that when paypal handled your payments, you were charged a fraction more than you are now.

If you were registered as a business account it would have been more when taking in to account monthly subscriptions and listing fees etc.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

shocking Ebay fees

I see this sort of thread time & time again with regards to fees etc.

I see the arguments both in agreement that the fees are high & the arguments that they are in line with other platforms or B&M auction houses.

So I do see both sides of the coin, as in sellers want to make money as do ebay, but it's a fine line.

If I look at it solely from the point of a seller ( Business registered ) as I am, then to me the fess are not only high, but massively high.

To the point in most cases ebay now take more in fees than I do profit on a sale, simply as that is how tight margins are, especially in the current economic climate.

Plus as a seller there are other costs to take into account, postage being the 2nd biggest outlay & with Royal Mail due to increase prices again it's a nightmare.

But the fact that Royal Mail increase their prices is not the fault of Ebay, but they will again profit from this increase, as sellers will have to pass on that cost to buyers & Ebay will make more in fvf's.

And there for me anyway is the problem, increasing costs everywhere, coupled with Ebay fees & the economic climate we are in.

Lets say I have an item that I want for £10.00, having paid £5.00 to buy it in.

To come out with a clear £5.00 profit after Ebay fees, p&p etc I have to sell that item for approx £19.00, sometimes more.

Now that limits the market ability to sell it, if at that price I can sell it at all.

Is that Ebays fault, no not really they have to make a living as well, so it's a fine balancing act. 

If however you asked me could Ebay do more for registered business sellers, who get little to no help / offers from ebay & of course have to adhere to many more rules & regulations than private sellers, then my answer would be a resounding YES they could.

But again they are not going to do that, as that is where most of their income comes from & enables them to keep going.

What else can you do as a seller if you don't like the fees / costs, well in the case of my £5.00 item I want £10.00 for, a bootsale seems to be the logical alternative choice or a fee free online selling platform.

But bear in mind, no matter what people say about alternative sites, Ebay is still the biggest online selling platform out there , with millions of customers & dispite what people say, little to no real opposition for certain products.

So as I said, it's a balancing act, you have to weigh up what you have for sale, decide on the best platform to sell it on ( As no matter what the fees, selling it is the paramount outcome ) & decide from there.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

shocking Ebay fees

The fee is exactly right.

As advised, Ebay take 12.8% of the sale fee and postage combined + 30p.

You are a regular seller and the fees have not increased for years so I don't really understand your shock and outrage.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

shocking Ebay fees

So why not delete your account then?  If you can go somewhere cheaper then do so.  No one likes paying fees or any other charge that takes away from their profit/gains but E Bay fees are shown beforehand, you are not being conned so your choice.  Maybe if all the disgruntled ones who keep threatening to leave did so then maybe E Bay may notice and do something (but i doubt it).

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

shocking Ebay fees

I had the same experience sold for £41.29 and held £5.58 for transaction fees! that's outrageous especially for small private sellers! I'm not buying wholesale or from the factory to get competive prices but mostly from retail.

They need to rethink their policy otherwise they're forcing sellers to sell at very high prices to cover this proposterous charges or even delete their accounts. I'm really torned now 

Best regards,

Theo

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

shocking Ebay fees

Just think of what your fee's would be if you were registered correctly 🙄

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

shocking Ebay fees

How do you mean registered correctly?

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

shocking Ebay fees

If you are selling your own personal items that are just laying around the house, i am unable to see the problem with ebay fees. Buying to sell as you say,is not a small private seller but a business. 

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

shocking Ebay fees

Of course you entintled to your opinion and also making assumptions :). People sell for various reasons that you wouldn't understand. 

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

shocking Ebay fees

@profchaos1981 wrote:

I had the same experience sold for £41.29 and held £5.58 for transaction fees! that's outrageous especially for small private sellers! I'm not buying wholesale or from the factory to get competive prices but mostly from retail.

They need to rethink their policy otherwise they're forcing sellers to sell at very high prices to cover this proposterous charges or even delete their accounts. I'm really torned now 

Best regards,

Theo

eBay have rethought their fees and are adding an extra selling fee in April.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

shocking Ebay fees

I Don't mean to be funny, balancing act is a bit of an exaggeration. EBay hammer business sellers to make profits as shown below, they are a wee bit greedy.  I gave up my eBay shop due to extortionate rates,  it was also impossible to complete with the private sellers

EBay gross profit for the twelve months ending September 30, 2023 was
$7.256B, a 0.71% increase year-over-year. EBay annual gross profit for 2022 was $7.115B, a 8.43% decline from 2021. EBay annual gross profit for 2021 was $7.77B, a 9.48% increase from 2020.

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

shocking Ebay fees

Me too, my friend it's absolutely sickening. I just sold an item for £180 I paid the postage around eight quid and greedy bloody EBay took £40 commission where is the fairness in that? It's bloody disgusting

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent