Buying from US - taxes and import duties?

I accepted an offer to purchase a posted from the US at $110 plus postage. When going to pay there is a tax of $22 - 20%. I asked the seller about it and he says it's an eBay added tax... so I assume this is VAT..?  Does this mean I won't get charged import duties?  I have been stung with import duties from the US previously, and it hurts!!

Many thanks.  

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Buyers pay any import fees or customs duty.

If the item is below £135 they'll pay any applicable import fees at eBay checkout, eBay collects this part of the payment (sellers don't see it) and pass it on to the relevant tax authority, so you shouldn't be charged again this end.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Thank you *vyolla*... It's $110.  So the 20% extra being charged at point of purchase is the import fee?  The seller doesn't seem to know, so I assume he doesn't need to do anything his end to indicate this had been paid?  
Thanks. 

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

I would not be surprised if you didnt get hit with Import duties in addition to the local tax.

Maybe youll be lucky and it wont get collected ?

This is why overseas sales have dramatically reduced all round now.

Beware of 'Offers' too on the US site, i fell fowl of one duty to a check out failure, and now ebay have access to my payment method, which obviously im not happy about.

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Consignments up to £135 (currently $168 approx.) in value will have (supply) VAT applied at the point of sale. As long as the seller completes the customs form correctly you won't be charged any VAT or handling fees on import as eBay will have charged and remitted the VAT (20%) due.

Consignments over £135 will be subject to (import) VAT, customs duty and a handling charge from the domestic carrier on import. eBay does not collect and remit VAT for such orders.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

@a45heaven wrote:

I would not be surprised if you didnt get hit with Import duties in addition to the local tax.

Maybe youll be lucky and it wont get collected ?

I think they will pay the import fee (UK VAT at 20%) at eBay checkout.

There is no such thing as local tax though.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

@a45heaven wrote:

There is no customs duty on consignments under £135 and excise duty only applies to things a UK buyer couldn't purchase (like tobacco, alcohol or fuel) from a US eBay seller.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent