Buyer didn't completed transaction fake accusation of not as described.

eBay is absolute beyond the joke.
No seller protection at all.

Buyer made an offer what I accepted.

Sold Item (battery) described as "FOR PARTS/NOT WORKING/not tested/no warranties/no return"
Buyer shows up for for collection and agreed that item doesn't work.
IT DOESNT WORK I DONT WANT IT- he said.

Pull battery out of his car and left on side of road.
And made claim for refund on the account as it doesn't match description.

EBAY- yes you have to refund buyer we will not get involved in investigating is item described correct where it's nothing to investigate it's not I sold something what should work and didn't.
What the????
Where is the point of selling anything on eBay if contract of sale what is "taking place" on Ebay" is not pursued by ebay.  It's not case where something doenst match pictures or description. 
Previously had same problem somebody win a bid and said that don't have time, money, other excuses untill said that he won't collect on much higher value item

So to be honest Small court claim UK is so easy to access that I'm happy to proove point as I'm really *bleep* with that.
If I will do refund it will save me at this moemnt 30£ of eay fees as Ebay said they will make refund to buyer regardless do I agree with it or not and charge me selling fees if they have to step in.
If I will do refund he will use that agains me as me pulling out from transaction.

Ebay is only for buying any more no more selling.

No way to force buyer to hand collection code,
No way to post items.
Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

Basically you have no choice but to refund in full voluntarily or let Ebay force the refund.

You cannot keep the payment and the item.

Buyer could possibly request a chargeback through their payment provider ,depending on how they paid ,if you don't deal with it first.

Also ,"renting" things is not allowed on this site.

Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

adding to the advice already given -

your buyers have virtually unlimited rights as you are a business seller trading as a private seller in violation of eBay rules and the law.

Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

I’m never sure it’s a good idea to state in a listing "I don’t know anything about" the item. Many sellers seem to believe that will work as a "not my problem, guv" disclaimer, but it doesn’t protect you at all. In fact, it’s likely to open the door on a particularly canny sort of buyer. 

My guess is that your buyer has chanced his arm, hoping that it’s actually an item that he can make work, but one that you (given your professed lack of knowledge) can’t get working. You’re going to attract that sort of buyer the moment you say you "don’t know anything ".

Your buyer will also be confident of a refund. Batteries are potentially hazardous, particularly  old, non-working ones. So he's almost certainly covered by eBay policies on the sale of hazardous goods. This may well protect him against court action too. You’re hardly in a position to argue that you know better, having already stated "I don’t know anything ".

Your position is further undermined because you are trading in breach of eBay rules, and quite possibly illegally. 

Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

An item sold for collection item is only an interest to buy subject to inspection and the buyer being satisfied with the item (spare and repairs or not). The buyer has done everything right as they turned up for collection themselves instead of arranging for a third party, and decided not to buy it so didn't remove it from the seller. And that is why there are collection codes, to protect both sides.

You will have even more issues if someone hires one of your trailers ( as already pointed out, this isn't allowed) and then opens an item not as described case. They will get a full refund too.

Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

A sale on ebay isnt a private sale so none of your terms and conditions mean a thing.

Ebay has to work with UK distance selling laws and this gives buyers many rights.

One of those is for buyer to return something if they dont like it once they see it.

Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

Sale was completely private of somethign what I had for sale. 

Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

Item description in tick box as well

Condition
For parts or not working: An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller’s listing for full details.

You cannot describe it any better as something what doesnt work.
If you buy soemthing what doesnt work like I sometimes do so can use it for parts or soemthign I do buy it as non working and don't expect it to work.

Same batteries are sold all over on ebay and only transport is a problem hence was stated collection only it's just private sale of something I had laying in the sheed for a year.
Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

The plain fact is that your buyers have virtually unlimited rights as you are a business seller trading as a private seller in violation of eBay rules and the law.

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

There is a fundamental problem with selling a single part that you haven't tested or cannot test. The problem is that if the part doesn't work it's worth nothing, if the part does actually work it's worth the full used price. If you sell the part for some amount above zero and it doesn't actully work then you will have this problem, all day long.

The buyer decided the part was non working so left it with you. You can't keep item and payment. You will have to issue them a refund - you would be foolish to wait for eBay to do that as eBay will then not refund their fees.

It can make sense to sell a multi-part item "for parts" e.g. a whole computer, car etc. because a non-running car or computer that doesn't power up very likely still has mulitple other working parts worth money. But not an individual part.

Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

It was priced at offer from buyer based on listign  description what described condition as good as possible and I accepted offer as it's hard to price items like that other than auction or offer.
So if it's worth nothing nobody force anybody to made any offers or bid on items.It's buyers free will to take that risk / transaction.

If you sell something as broken not working there is nothing not matching description there is no 

I don't want item and ebay now will have some "issues" with me.

I had it many times in past with Ebay when buyers bid on something and later don't show up to collect it and absolutely fed up with it.

When you go on any other auctions online or present you buy it  and if you don't collect it it get disposed. 
We bought recently Truck at work what suposed to be working good condition and cost 13k to get gearbox right and thats buyers risk. 
So when you sell something not working/for parts what is NOT advertised as working you may hope that some part may be working some not but it's risk you take.
if you buy computer what don't turn on it may be completely tosted inside or may be just power suply wrong doesnt matter when is sold as not working so you commit to transaction as you commited to/made literal transaction.

Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

Ebay can force refund I cannot stop them. 
Although with that aproach to sellers It will be pull out from any selling on ebay for me on tis account nad my other business acount as if anybody can jsut make false accusations against sellers like that and get money back it's waste of time and money.

Ebay did't had so far probelms with my listings untill "somebody" reported them recently.
Plenty of rent/hire adverts all over platform.
they were happy with all fees what they took over the time from me.
So should I ask them to return them fees now as it was against them policy?

Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

Turn it around and put yourself as the buyer.

What would you have done in the same situation ?.

Buying a truck and having to spend silly money on it only shows you didn't inspect it properly and ended up with a loss because of it.Due dilligence etc.Been there !.

Your buyer walked away because they did the opposite.

If you did things properly by Ebay's rules you lost nothing but a sale.

Nil nil on both sides.If you lost out more than that for some reason you cannot blame the "buyer" ,SO ???.

Life is ,if you are lucky ,full of swings and roundabouts.

Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

`Turn it around and put yourself as the buyer.

What would you have done in the same situation ?`

Exactly 🤔

Looking at it from both sides, as a buyer, why buy a battery listed as for spares/parts in the first place, because once a battery is dead, it`s dead. Now it might be worth the risk at 10-20 quid, but £300 .........

As the seller, i`d have tested it first or got it tested and if it came back as no good, i wouldn`t have bothered, because selling something for £300 that can`t be fixed, will always end in tears 🙂

Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent