All you need to know about eBay UK in 2024...

Watch and inwardly digest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omh1QeddKwo

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Lol usual ebay being thick i've been in the same issue on all my accounts one account took 3 months to resolve what a bunch of muppets 

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

I've watched these two for years, it's the second time this has happened. 
The story is now on the blog that can't be mentioned. 

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

peturning
Conversationalist

Is all of this related to verification?

Scary how it can go so wrong for some people.

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Wow, just watched the whole video and i don't know what to say, honestly! Crazy, just crazy!!

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

It all comes down to account size, if your selling in high volumes or high ticket items or your turnover with ebay is alot they want to know everything even the time you go to the loo lol:)

I think no one has issues with them verifying you and your suppliers or where your stock is held the issue here is how they deal with this and obtain the information amicably.

So we have 7 accounts 3 of them are high volume accounts in total we sell 12000 items a week give or take with a weekly total turnover of roughly £50000-£60000 with 9 employees and me and my wife so 11 salaries to pay out.

I have overheads on top of that not forgetting the salaries as mentioned above and royal mail, dpd, warehouse rent, electric, business rates etc.

So all 3 accounts back in Feb 2023 were restricted MC011 we were allowed to sell so listings still active but payouts on hold until the required information was provided for there (KYC) “know Your Customer” process.

The information was provided within 48 hours however they also requested tracking info that shows the items we have sold have been delivered, now bearing in mind that we sell alot of small low value items which are dispatched via Large Letter Royal Mail 48 and as we know Royal Mail do not always scan these upon delivery.

So just explaining this to ebay took us 3 months with several phone calls a day to them which got us no where every time we emailed them explaining this we were just sent a generic message requesting the same info again and again anyway this went on for 3 bloody months at this point ebay were withholding around £500,000.00 at this point we had to take out loans so that we could cover all our out goings and as you can imagine i was very stressed at this point and worried and on the verge of proceeding with legal action.

So nearing to the 3 month mark i would ring everyday a few times we were put through to Ireland and some of the reps were helpful and some just fobbed us off with lies anyway eventually we requested to speak to a supervisor in ireland and he understood that it was going to be virtually impossible to confirm delivery for all the items sold recently a task which is absolutely unachievable so apparently he said leave it with me and i’ll get back to within 24 hours of which he did and a few more documents were requested and provided and thats it we received a message your payout holds have been removed.

So my point is the way this is dealt with is an absolute joke and if your going to sell on ebay as a business there is absolutely no sense of security for businesses they can switch you off just like that irrespective of how much business you provide them and they do not take into account that where a business and that we must have overheads, salaries to pay etc, anyway i like ebay its not the only platform we sell on as we’ve now realised its just not a safe place SO DON’T KEEP ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET” as they say, my oldest account was 9 years old so they did not take that into consideration.

I like this thread because people need to know how ebay deal with issues like this and if your going to sell on this platform then be prepared.

Sorry for such along reply, God Bless.
Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

You did really well to get your accounts sorted as a lot cannot.

One thing though.....you said 3 accounts were affected.     IF you have 7 accounts then all accounts would/should have all the same restrictions if Ebay can link them in any way whatsoever.

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

This wasn't a case of listing prohibited items so accounts received that MC011 order, and all accounts linked and ' banned,  but the above case seemed to be one of verification, as OP says they were still allowed to sell on those 3 accounts,  just that money was being held,   until proof for those accounts receipts etc.  were proven, the  other accounts had not fallen under this necessary verification requirement.

@1956glyn 

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

But did they get it sorted?  I can't see a "Part 2" where they explain how it was resolved and how long it took.

I think they were lucky to be a business and had an established relationship with HMRC to be able to persuade HMRC to provide letters etc.

I remember the chaos when thousands of private sellers were in the same position, going round in circles with ebay demanding this, that and the other and leaving the victims totally mystified when the documents were then rejected again and again with no explanation of why from ebay.

I wonder how many of them just gave up?  Many were told on here that unless they could complete verification to ebays satisfaction, then ebay was entitled / required to just keep the money.

I wonder how many were never paid and how much ebay is still sitting on?

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

I don't know how you kept your composure...

square peg.jpg

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

But as they said "We've been here before"  --  We've had long phone calls with ebay before"  --  "We've had apologies from ebay", when the same problem arose before.

Doesn't seem to me that ebay learnt anything or changed anything after those previous incidents.

Exactly this problem comes up on the boards, not so often perhaps, but it still comes up now.  It's been coming up since shortly after Managed Payments was introduced, how many years ago?

Nic says (more than once) that he's an optimist and hopes this will do something to stop the problem arising again.

I don't share his optimism at all.  It sounds to me like a re-run of his previous encounters.  A nice sounding lady has (finally) been wheeled out to apologise (again) for something beyond her control or ability to change, make (more) sympathetic noises, soothe him down and tell him he is being listened to, that ebay will learn lessons.

I bet that as soon as the phone went down it was 'filed' and if they are called on to verify their business again in 6 months there's every danger of exactly the same happening to him (and 1000 others) again.

Ebay will still begrudge the $s to provide decent CS and as long as they can get away with it, they will.

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent