Item shipped to buyers workplace name different to his name stated on eBay.

Hi again all, 

I sold an item to a buyer and noticed after shipping that the name on the address is not the same as his name (not his user name), it's also shipping to what I'm assuming is his work place which is a polish cafe or something on a business park. The address details I've sent to are the exact ones on his eBay account as I only use QR code labels to save hassle.

Typically this item is one of my sales that is on hold for being a new seller, I will not get the money until delivery is marked by postie. 

User does have full positive feedback. Should I be worried? Or am I over thinking this? Or have I fallen for a scam? 

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As long as you sent tracked to the address supplied by ebay and it shows as delivered you should be OK.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

As long as you sent tracked to the address supplied by ebay and it shows as delivered you should be OK.

Message 2 of 25
See Most Recent

Thank you, yep it's exactly the address on eBay. Nothing changed by me. 

Message 3 of 25
See Most Recent

Stating " no returns" doesn't exempt you from accepting a returns request if buyer claims "not as described".

It also doesn't exempt you from a chargeback further down the line.

If buyer paid through Paypal they have 180 days cover ,if paid by debit or credit card they have 90 days i believe.

You should be aware of the above if you wish to sell online ,not just on this site.

Golden rule is don't list anything you cannot afford to lose.

Message 4 of 25
See Most Recent

It could be that the buyer is purchasing the item on behalf of somebody else.  I have, on occasion, done this myself in the past, such as when I bought an item for a family member as a birthday present and then changed the name and address at Checkout so that the item would get delivered directly to the person I had bought it for, rather than not altering the name and address and having the item delivered to me.  (If you ever do this yourself be sure to change the address details back to your own when purchasing your next item, otherwise Checkout may well retain the other name and address details if you forget to do so.)  Therefore, just because the name and address of the recipient is different to that of the person who paid for the item doesn't necessarily mean that it is a scam. 

Message 5 of 25
See Most Recent

Thanks all, really helpful as ever. 

I did wonder if he purchased for someone else. I'm thinking perhaps it's a family run business address.

Cheers again guys.  

Message 6 of 25
See Most Recent

Sometimes, if the buyer knows they won't be at home to receive the parcel, they send it to an address where they know it will be accepted - a sort of private 'parcel shop' agreement.  Maybe your buyer works on the business park at a firm that won't accept employee parcels, and gets lunch at the cafe.

I often send to names quite different from that of the buyer, and there's never been a problem.  However, I don't sell high value, in demand items that are a scam magnet.  Scammers don't target wool or ribbon.

Message 7 of 25
See Most Recent

Cheers again for the reply.

Hopefully all work out, wouldn't be an issue but this is my other item with funds hold pending delivery..

My latest sale which I sold after my first funds on hold payment was released is already processing expected tonight. Despite the fact I've not been able to send it yet due to post office being closed for Sunday.

If the buyer of this item had paid after my first payment hold funds were released, I'd be getting the payment for the item tonight. Because I seem to be out of payment hold jail since that item was delivered.

Well frustrating. But hopefully will be all good. 

Message 8 of 25
See Most Recent

Typically tracking is not updating on this one. Item posted Saturday, tracking still says item accepted at post office.. It should have update by now? 

Tried calling post office to find out what's going on no answer. 

What should I do here? They guys going to just say it's not been delivered and my funds won't get released from hold. This is why payment holds are just unfair and not practical. RM are useless. I knew this would happen. The item isn't overly valuable but it's more sentimental so is absolutely going to suck if this guy puts in an item not received request... 

Message 9 of 25
See Most Recent

@tranceenthusiast wrote:

Typically tracking is not updating on this one. Item posted Saturday, tracking still says item accepted at post office.. It should have update by now? 

What service did you use? For instance, Tracked 24 and Tracked 48 often don't do much in the way of updating tracking; the occaisional (but not always) "item scanned" and then "delivered".

My advise: sit tight and stop worrying until you have something that has gone wrong. The post office won't be able to help you, it is Royal Mail who have your parcel.  

Message 10 of 25
See Most Recent

Thanks for reply, it's tracked 48. 

Will take your advice and chill.. I Guess I do need stop second guessing every sale. Wouldn't matter so much if funds weren't sat on hold pending delivery. It's so frustrating. 

Message 11 of 25
See Most Recent

It's definitely not updating. Tracking says it's still at post office. I sent another item today and that's already reached the local mail centre. It's so frustrating because I need tracking to show as delivered to get my money because of eBay's bs payment holds for new sellers ( despite me having 3-4 months of positive sales ). Why's it gotta be this item that doesn't update? Lol 😂 So typical.. Royal Mail are useless. And payment holds are so frustrating and unnecessary .,, Rant over. 

Message 12 of 25
See Most Recent

I had the same thing happen to me. The name on the account didn't match the name on the address. Plus both names seemed odd like they were fictional names. I was expecting the usual "I haven't received this item" or it's not as described. But no, weirder than that. Within a couple of hours of the item showing as delivered a negative appeared on my account saying I'd sold them something that stinks and they'd had to throw it straight in the bin. So despite what people say, that would make me nervous if the name on account doesn't match the name on the address. Hopefully, fingers crossed, something weird like that doesn't happen to you and the parcel does show as delivered. 

Message 13 of 25
See Most Recent

Yeah sucks man, I have a bad feeling about this one. Sucks even more that my funds are on hold and idiots at Royal Mail aren't scanning the item! It's actually two items with sentimental value. But I listed anyway because it's fun selling stuff when it goes smooth. If my funds weren't on hold, I'd be less anxious about it. I assume can probably claim if RM don't scan it and he files item not received? But fingers crossed item will be delivered and buyer will be decent. His feedback is good, so that's one positive I guess. 

Message 14 of 25
See Most Recent

What really baffles me is why it has to be this item that the morons aren't scanning. Why can't they just do their job.. The other item I sent today, I've already got paid for and it's updating fine. It's so unbelievably frustrating. I understand what the previous guy said about not selling something I can't afford to lose, buts still gonna suck if I lose the item and the money.. 

Message 15 of 25
See Most Recent

@ear2fear wrote:

So despite what people say, that would make me nervous if the name on account doesn't match the name on the address. 

Why? As long as the item is sent to the delivery address showing in the order details then it's no different to sending it to any other address.

I have 5 different delivery addresses I use (gift addresses for friends/relatives). All are hundreds of miles away from my eBay registered address. 

Message 16 of 25
See Most Recent

Because it looks odd. You surly use the same name as for your deliveries? 

Message 17 of 25
See Most Recent

@tranceenthusiast wrote:

Why when the item is going to a different person at a different address?  It would be odd to use your own name if sending to an aunt for example.

Message 18 of 25
See Most Recent

Ok good point it's not something I'd ever do though. Thanks again for taking the time to reply . 

Message 19 of 25
See Most Recent

@tranceenthusiast wrote:

No, of course I don't, I use the recipients name.

Message 20 of 25
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: