Who pays return carriage when a used engine isn't compatible?

I bought a used engine.

Listing said 'Please call if unsure on compatability for your vehicle before buying' - which I did (well, I msg'd in ebay) - gave reg no, VIN no, chassis no, said auto. He confirmed compatibility.

But on arrival, it's wrong - fitter can't use it. It has to be returned - I'll get refund of purchase + outward carriage.

Listing says 'Buyer pays for return postage' - what, even if Seller's compatibility advice was wrong?
ebay returns policy says
Depending on the reason for the return, the seller or the buyer may be responsible for arranging and paying for a suitable return method.
Reason for return - Items that don't match the listing
Who is responsible for return postage - Seller
Seller says '
ebay policy is buyer pays for return postage if it doesnt fit. if isnt down to seller to do compatability check per ebay policy. if not please call ebay and see what they say'.

Ebay robot can't answer. Does anyone know?

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi dartmanny, thanks for your post.

Please note that if the return was filed under the reason "doesn't fit" or "remorse" the policy that applies to the return is the one you set up as a seller. If you have accepted returns - buyer pays, the buyer will need to pay for the return in case the label automatically provided by eBay is not sufficient (these labels provided are only for small items, so it probably wouldn't be sufficient for an engine). Now, if the policy you set up states that you cover the return expenses under these circumstances, then it would be up to you to pay for the return.

If the return is filed under the reason "damanged" "not working" "not as described" then the seller is responsible for paying for the return expenses.

Please note that buyers have 30 days since the day they received the item to file a case, if it was more than 30 days, then they would be out of coverage and it would be up to you to decide how to proceed. For further information, you can see our Money Back Guarantee here, and how to handle returns as a seller here.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

"Doesn't fit" as a reason for return is classed as "change of mind" which buyer pays for.   If the description from the seller is wrong then you use "not as described" as the reason then the seller pays for the return postage.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Thanks - I change the wording.

What I need to know is - is it true that 'ebay policy is buyer pays for return postage if it's *not as described*'?

- meaning that he said 'Please call if unsure on compatability for your vehicle before buying' so I did that, and he confirmed and described the used engine as compatible with my car - but it's not.

I can't find a way to 'call ebay and see what they say'. Any ideas?

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Hi dartmanny, thanks for your post.

Please note that if the return was filed under the reason "doesn't fit" or "remorse" the policy that applies to the return is the one you set up as a seller. If you have accepted returns - buyer pays, the buyer will need to pay for the return in case the label automatically provided by eBay is not sufficient (these labels provided are only for small items, so it probably wouldn't be sufficient for an engine). Now, if the policy you set up states that you cover the return expenses under these circumstances, then it would be up to you to pay for the return.

If the return is filed under the reason "damanged" "not working" "not as described" then the seller is responsible for paying for the return expenses.

Please note that buyers have 30 days since the day they received the item to file a case, if it was more than 30 days, then they would be out of coverage and it would be up to you to decide how to proceed. For further information, you can see our Money Back Guarantee here, and how to handle returns as a seller here.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

"Doesn't fit" in the instance above applies to clothes eg buyer thought they were slimmer than they really were = buyer pays return postage

Your item is NOT as described - do NOT select "does not fit"  or you will have to pay return postage

Open a case, select item is not as described and the seller will be required to pay return postage

if you choose the wrong option, you will end up paying to return it, tracked. 

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

@dartmanny wrote:

Thanks - I change the wording.

What I need to know is - is it true that 'ebay policy is buyer pays for return postage if it's *not as described*'?

- meaning that he said 'Please call if unsure on compatability for your vehicle before buying' so I did that, and he confirmed and described the used engine as compatible with my car - but it's not.

I can't find a way to 'call ebay and see what they say'. Any ideas?

It's the reason you choose for the return that dictates who pays the return postage, not what the seller might have said about compatablilty, or anything else.

Some return reasons count as change of mind (buyer pays), some count as 'not as described', and the seller pays. 

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent