Left positive feedback for seller by mistake and now there's a problem

I purchased a low-value item from a seller some weeks ago. The postage was Royal Mail second class and the item was predicted to arrive on or around 21st March. The seller posted the item on or around 16th March, but it didn't arrive.

However in trying to leave feedback for a different item, I left positive feedback for the seller. When I realised my mistake, I let them know and explained that the item hadn't arrived.

On 3rd April, Royal Mail sent me a surcharge form for underpayment of postage. I paid them £7 and the item was delivered yesterday, on 4th April. There was no postage on it.

I contacted the seller asking them for a refund of the surcharge - since I had already paid £3.49 - and they sent me a photo of their postal receipt, claimed that the postage had been paid and the shipping label must have come off. They told me that it was my responsibility to contact Royal Mail.

To me it looks as though the receipt lists two items with one lot of postage, which would be down to the post office not the seller.

Based on past experience, Royal Mail always insist that the seller contacts them. What can I do, if anything? I recognise that leaving positive feedback was my mistake. Please can you advise.

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

There is nothing you can do about the positive feedback, it can't be changed.

If the item arrived after the latest estimated delivery date you can if you wish treat it as "not as described" under eBay's money back guarantee. The seller will then be required to refund you in full, and to send a prepaid return label for the item to be returned. (If the item was located in the UK, this may not apply if for example you bought it from China.)

There is nothing you can do about the delivery surcharge. That's between you and the seller, eBay will not be involved. You didn't have to pay this anyway, you could have declined to pay and opened an item not received case for a refund.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

Thank you, @red_magpie . I didn't realise that I could decline to pay the fee. Unfortunately, I didn't know what the item was until I received it.

I don't want to return the item, but to be reimbursed for the fee I was charged. The seller has pretty much flat refused to pay it, and told me to raise the matter with Royal Mail.

Heigho. I have a feeling that's seven quid down the drain.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent