Item taken by the bin men

I sold a motorcycle helmet for £152 + postage. I used eBay to buy the postage and sent it off to the buyer using Yodel.

The tracking showed as delivered and I thought nothing more of it...until the buyer put in a claim for the helmet not being received and my funds were frozen.

Fast forward, having never had this before and eBay sending emails every day telling me to resolve it, I contacted Yodel who admitted they had photos of the helmet being left in the buyers bin, so it appears it went off in the bin truck. Yodel said to claim via Packlink, which I did. Packlink stated thay can issue compensation and to send them the refund info so they can pay me.

I refunded the buyer and now Packlink have issued £25 compensation, so I'm £125 down. I'm not a business, and I was trying to get some much needed funds together, hence selling my motorcycle gear. I could cry.

I can't get hold of eBay as they have no phone line and their automated chat goes round in circles. I've just deleted everything else I had for sale as I'm so unhappy with not being able to get hold of anyone.

Is there anything I can do?

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

tobiasd4
Experienced Mentor

You didn't need to refund as tracking showed delivered. 

As you found packlink postage has low compensation level.

Ebay won't refund you either. 

If you sell,again, buy postage direct from carrier website or post office.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

There's nothing you can do via eBay, and your buyer would have got a refund back from you one way or another anyway so you did the right thing refunding them, at least you got a credit back for your eBay final value fees.

It's vital to have insurance to match the value of the item you're sending out, but as this is a ridiculous mistake on Yodel's part and they've admitted to it may I point you in the direction of the Consumer Action Group (the first site that comes up on Google) where you can get some free great legal advice by posting this question in their forum. 

Join up, and then post in the section Retail and Non-retail Goods and Services>Retail Subforums>Postal and Delivery Services.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent