EBay cancelled my sale

I have sold a quite expensive item. I have been in contact with the buyer regarding collection. I was away for a few days then he was going away but we both agreed it wasn't a problem. We had agreed on PayPal as the payment method but he hasn't yet paid. Maybe he didn't want to send a stranger this amount of money when a suitable collection date has yet to be arranged, which I could understand. A week later I got a message from EBay saying I had cancelled the order, which I hadn't, and they had also taken it upon themselves to relist the item. The buyer saw this and messaged me. He still wants it, and I was happy to wait.  I've since ended the listing, I've had other people contact me directly offering cash prices. But my original winning bidder will now not be able to pay via PayPal. If he pays me direct the eBay will assume I'm trying to avoid the selling fees. Any messages we send arranging pick up, eBay will see and know I've sold it privately. I don't think you can just put your phone number on so that we can use a different form of contact. So I don't know what to do now. I'm just so annoyed with EBay. It was all under control. Yes it was taking time but I was sure that the buyer was genuine and I would have contacted eBay myself if he didn't pay and collect within a reasonable time when he is back from USA next week. I didn't realise they could just cancel an order without letting me know first and relist the item which I had a buyer for. I know they might have thought I was trying to avoid the selling fees but this wasn't the case. I don't know what to do now. 

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

EBay cancelled my sale

It looks like you may have Cancel this Order after 4 days of non payment selected in your Site Preferences.

If you do wish to sell the item to this particular buyer,  they should tell you the period when they are home to pay and collect from you, then you should relist the item so they can buy it from your eBay listing.

That way it's all above board,  within eBay rules,  as eBay will receive their seller fees.

Just ensure any messages passed between you,  make it clear the item will be relisted for sale on eBay for this buyer to buy,  and leave no suggestion that this is for an off eBay sale, eBay read all messages going through their system.

@treadmill10 

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

EBay cancelled my sale

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Just to add, buyer's pay eBay by whatever method they choose from the options eBay gives them on your listing.  This will include PayPal but they don't pay you, however they pay, they pay eBay and eBay pays you, less fees.

Cash on collection is an option you can choose for the listing.

You need to switch off the auto cancellation process and the auto relist one.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent