tempura batter

I asked for any recipes for tempura batter recently, well I did 100g plain flour, 100g cornflour, 10g baking powder, and cold fizzy water to mix. It was delicious and crispy and the squid was yummy BUT don't be daft like what I was - put oil in a pan and heated until really hot, dipped squid in flour and then batter and into the oil, leant over it to see if it was done just as one of the squid exploded - now burn marks all over my face!!!! I did all this several days ago so the burns are clearing up a bit but lesson learned - be careful. I did find I had too much batter so will do half quantity next time, but do try it

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

tempura batter

Sorry, I thought this was a Latin Cricket thread.Smiley Indifferent

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

tempura batter

Ouch!

You poor thing - I'm sure it's something we all do really without thinking, lean over to check how the cooking is going.

Have you got a good cream to help your skin heal completely now the actual burns are clearing up?

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

tempura batter

I have used aloe vera on it, the poor plant got hacked about a bit but it's big enough to stand it! I'm more intrigued with they why's and wherefore's of the exploding squid! Wonder if there was air trapped in the tube or something as all the others were fine

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

tempura batter

Owwwwwwwwwwwww poor myraandjim

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

tempura batter

I've done similar (although nowhere near as bad) when cracking an egg into hot fat to fry it and doing it too gently and low and actually dipping one or more fingertips into the oil!!

I hope your scars heal well.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

tempura batter

ooooh I felt that!!! I hope it's healing now. I have leant over when a piece of bacon exploded...a bit of the fat went in my eye but luckily I got away with that. And I've had the egg go pop too.

Photobucket

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

tempura batter

CG - so pleased to hear other people do daft things, I'm just a walking disaster area, if there's an accident around it will happen to me. A couple of weeks ago I sort of forgot I had a head and slammed the car door onto it, that really did hurt!

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent