store closures

with T..co having announced which stores they are to close is anyone on here affected either directly or indirectly?  I really hope that none of you are set to lose your jobs, but how will it affect the town that you live in or your shopping habits? We were due to have a big store built in our local town but that has all been cancelled now, the prospect of jobs being created was good for the area as it is a very high employment region, but I do think that a huge superstore in the middle of town would have spoiled the appearance. With a vast amount of land already having been bought by T..co for the proposed store we now wait to see if it will be resold or just left derelict.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

store closures

mouse4702
Conversationalist

Not affected here.  I do, however, view these "lots of jobs created" promises with some cynicism.  Most of our T***o staff are part-timers, either youngsters out of school or ladies of a certain age.  Jobs whereby you can earn enough to be the breadwinner and support your family seem to be not what these big stores are about, so it's possibly not quite as tragic for the job market as it sounds.  Round here we have had one of our refineries go down the pan - hundreds of full-time, well-paid jobs lost.  The unfortunate job seekers are now being invited to apply for 16-hr jobs in Poundland. 

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

store closures

None of our T***o's are closing.  We have a big one near the rugby ground and a few smaller ones around town.  

Mouse, one of my cousins is losing his job with the closure of the refinery near you.  He finishes on Friday which is also his birthday.

Good luck to anyone who is looking for a job.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

store closures

My nearest Mr T's in Gwersyllt is set to close though we will still have the Wrexham Extra store , but do worry for the staff as some have been there for years back to when it was a kw*k S**e

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

store closures

It's horrible for anyone losing their job through closures, I have been redundant twice in my career and wouldn't wish it on anyone, although I was lucky as it was a time when jobs were more plentiful. Around here there are no full time jobs unless folk can travel into the bigger towns or cities - journey of 40 or 50 miles each way, a lot worked on the oil rigs but that isn't looking so good any more.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

store closures

the store where my OH lived is going, it's been there since T*sc* began!

I too have been made redundant twice and it's awful, and it's true that most of the staff are part timers or youth on pitiful hours.

All we can do is hope that this will give T the chance to become as strong as it used to be, and hopefully they will build the new stores and employ more people....long shot I knowSmiley Sad

Photobucket

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

store closures

I'd forgotten kw**k*a*ve.  We used to have at least three of those.

I feel sorry for anyone losing their jobs.   

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

store closures

None here. My job is ok thankfully. We dont take on full time unless its management.
Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

store closures

Oh Books, on top of everything else!  I'm desperately sorry for your cousin.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent