social media

why oh why do people put such private and sensitive information on social media? I have just discovered that a close family member's marriage has broken down - it was posted on fb!!!! I know it has been a shock to many people and do feel that some information should be delivered in person or via telephone rather than a general posting. What do others feel about it?

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

social media

Couldn't agree more Myra.  I closed my fb account a good while back.  There's too much personal information put on social media and I think it is wrong.

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

social media

I think it's up to the individual how they want to use socail media to release personal information as for me I use the privacy setting to decide who see's what I post on FB and the like

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

social media

Hello Myra

I concur with you !!

Mind boggling as this is indeed a very personal matter & does not need to be splattered over FB for Pierre/Paul/Jacques to see !!! images.png

I have deleted my Account & if I was to use something like that again I will use Private settings & decide who I want to see or communicate with = simple !!!

Nowadays due to the Media anyone or sundry can see who you are/what you do & so much more !!

I like my Privacy thank you very much & will fight to keep it that way = hence why I do not use FB/Twitter & others !!!

Hope this helps Woman Happy

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

social media

@gorillaswolves wrote:

Hello Myra

I concur with you !!

Mind boggling as this is indeed a very personal matter & does not need to be splattered over FB for Pierre/Paul/Jacques to see !!! images.png

I have deleted my Account & if I was to use something like that again I will use Private settings & decide who I want to see or communicate with = simple !!!

Nowadays due to the Media anyone or sundry can see who you are/what you do & so much more !!

I like my Privacy thank you very much & will fight to keep it that way = hence why I do not use FB/Twitter & others !!!

Hope this helps Woman Happy

If you set your privacy settings as you want's them nothing gets SPATTERED all over Facebook! I think it's a great social tool & am very happy using it myself. Each to their own.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

social media

My sister in laws very dear friend died, and the family said they would let everyone know when the funeral was to be. However, SIL found out that the funeral had gone ahead and no one had told her. When she asked the family they said "it was on facebook". SIL was heartbroken.  I wouldn't join facebook if they paid me.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

social media

Like most things in life, it has its place

for a normal, sensible human being it's a wonderful tool & resource

connecting you with only those YOU want to, there is plenty of privacy for those who want or need it

if people have read something they feel inappropriate it's because the person has posted it, wanting people to read it

you cant fix crass or stupid though

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

social media

@myraandjim wrote:

why oh why do people put such private and sensitive information on social media? I have just discovered that a close family member's marriage has broken down - it was posted on fb!!!! I know it has been a shock to many people and do feel that some information should be delivered in person or via telephone rather than a general posting. What do others feel about it?

maybe the person posting was  very upset and  didn't want to have 20 conversations with 20 different people all asking the same thing after them telling the news

some times  getting the message out there can be a relief,  and how you do it can shock people

if people then  message them privately they may be able to handle that conversation better then

the woman who found out about missing a funeral is in a different position, i feel very sorry she missed the opportunity to say goodbye.   that was a  thoughtless  way of not doing something  right

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

social media

I agree with Stan. It's up to the people concerned how they announce the news. If they've set their privacy settings correctly then it will only be seen by those that they want to see it.
Photobucket
Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

social media

the trouble is that there are 2 people involved in a marriage break up, and the person posting the news had allowed the other person's family to see the post before she had chance to tell them. It was a shock to me to read what my son had posted, but don't know how his wife's family felt - dreadful I would think.

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

social media

I agree. I use FB a lot but my family has a private group so anything we need to talk about in private is done there, or by Private messages, When my father and mother inl-aw were both dying last year it was much easier for any one of us to post a message to our group than to have to phone each one, It's all about how you use it.

And through FB I am now in contact with many interesting people round the world who I have only "met" through friends or common interest groups

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

social media

I am in lots of Facebook groups too. I have made friends with quilters from all over the world. What an amazing thing to be able to do. You just need to understand how it works & set your security properly. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent