advice re window please...

I have a leaking 'medium' sized double glazed unit, caused by shrinkage of the rubber gasket. 

Ive just been quoted £100 to replace it (it's an upstairs window) but that seems a lot to me. Can anyone advise what they think please as I don't know and this might be a perfectly reasonable price.

TIA

Robbie

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

We had some panes replaced in our conservatory but it was a long time ago. I'm afraid I can't remember how much it was then but I remember it cost a lot less than I expected, but when you think of the initial cost of the window, £100 doesn't sound a lot to me.

Can you get a couple more quotes and compare them to see if there's much difference?

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

@robbie_001 wrote:

I have a leaking 'medium' sized double glazed unit, caused by shrinkage of the rubber gasket. 

Ive just been quoted £100 to replace it (it's an upstairs window) but that seems a lot to me. Can anyone advise what they think please as I don't know and this might be a perfectly reasonable price.

TIA

Robbie

hi we had a porch one done 2 years ago about 4ft x 4ft and it cost £150 so £100 seems ok to me.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Assuming you are talking uPVC frame, what, exactly, do you mean by 'leaking' and 'caused by shrinkage of the rubber gasket'? Is it leaking into the home, on to the window board or elsewhere? If you mean the rubber gasket (usually black) between the frame and glass is defective and allowing rain to get into the frame, it should drain away to the outside with nothing coming to the inside --- there are ( should be ) holes cut in the frame beneath the glass, leading to the outside, to do that. The water flows out on to the top of the sill and runs off, sometimes leaving dirty streaks.  If that is the gasket you mean then, assuming the frame has 'internal glazing beads' --- the uPVC strips which hold the DG unit in --- then it can be fixed from the inside, no need for ladders etc.. If it is 'external glazing beads' and is not an openingwindow then it's more difficult ( expensive on time ). If it's internal beads then you could replaced the gasket youself if you are careful and can get the same ( or suitable replacement ) gasket from a local window maker. That shouldn't cost more than a few ££ to do both the inside and outside gaskets.. Getting the DG unit out is not really difficult once you know how and take care. I' ve done it a few time with no problem, and there's a window maker in the building behind my home. Smiley LOL If you can DIY and are really tight for cash, then you could use some clear silicone sealant to apply all around the gasket ( after cleaning it ) . That should cost about £2 -£3 for a tube of sealant, about 300 ml, and about the same again for the applicator gun if you don't have one. Another way is to swap over the inside and outside gaskets, the inside ones should be in better condition than the outside ones.

If by 'leaking' you mean the DG unit is misted up then that's another matter and is caused by the breakdown of the sealant around the DG unit itself, not seen with the DG fully fitted. The normal fix for that is to fit a new DG unit --- and about £100 sounds quite reasonable for that and should include new gaskets to at least the outside.  As before it can be a DIY job and there is a way to fix it without a new DG unit. That involves a little more work that removing the DG to dry it out and re-apply sealant to its edges. Ask if you want more info..

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Thanks for the replies all.

Mustavaquid, the external rubber gasket which bends around the bottom corner of the frame has shrunk out of the frame and is too short to shove back in. At the same spot on the inside of the frame rain is leaking in between the window frame and the beading. This means it's leaking onto the internal window cill and I'm regularly having to mop it up with kitchen roll. 

It it on the fixed part of the window (not the opening side) and they've commented that the drainage channels are probably blocked, otherwise as you say, the rain should drain away.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Just to add that there's nothing wrong with the DG unit itself.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

OK, I think I'm with it now. You have internal glazing beads as the outer gasket is in the frame, not in external glazing beads.

"At the same spot on the inside of the frame rain is leaking in between the window frame and the beading."  If that "beading" is the 'glazing bead' which holds the gasket against the glass that does indicate that the drainage holes are blocked or were never cut when the window was made. Open the window and look at the inside of the fixed frame to see at least one drain hole. Look too for a ridge along the centre of the extrusion, about 5 mm X 5 mm.. That is to help keep draining / leaking water to the outer side of the frame until it drains away. A faulty gasket and little or no drainage will allow allow water to build up high enough to seep through the join between the glazing bead and frame, it is just a tight 'press fit' join.

I'd say that there's about one hour's work to remove the DG and old gasket, clean out debris, clean out and / or cut new drain holes, fit new gaskets to both interior and exterior, re-fit DG. Not much in cost for the new gasket, if a suitable 'section' one can be easily got, so I'd say £50 all in. Even replacing the old sealant around the outer edge of the frame, if needed, shouldn't make it any more than £60. That's based on working from inside.

For cheapness and a fix that should last at least until next spring, if you can reach out to all around the affected pane from the opening window, seal it thoroughly with silicone sealant.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

Spot on, that's exactly the configuration.

I'll have a look at it in the morning when it's lit again. Thank you very much for taking the time out to help.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent