Why am I a diabetic?

The temptation was just too strong - with my wife having strawberries and fresh cream, I decided to have a cream tea.  Didn't have any scones - I don't like them.  They tend to have too much flour which sets my teeth on edge, but rummaging through the cupboard I came across a pack of criossants and had one with butter, jam and a disgusting amount of self-clotted creamSmiley Very Happy i.e. a small tub of double cream poured into a bowl and whisked using an electric whisker.  It alters the chemistry of the cream - it will suddenly clot after a minute, and that is it.  You know it's done when you can turn the bowl upside down without losing anything.  It creates about half a pint of clotted cream which is, of course, totally impossible to finish.  Just one croissant with seedless strawberry jam and clotted cream has made me so bloated, I can't even move.  Going to have to wash it down with a cup of tea.  Had to wash my face because it was all in my beard and moustache!  God, if only I'd had my camera with me!  My nurse would have thrown me out of the hospital had she seen it.

If you're gonna go out, go out with a bang.Smiley LOL

Message 1 of 24
See Most Recent
23 REPLIES 23

Why am I a diabetic?

Now, now Fred, you know you shouldn't.

Message 2 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

No, you really shouldn't.

And that's not clotted cream you had, it was whipped double cream. Woman Wink

But still naughty!!

(says her who had extra thick double cream on her strawberries three days running):womanembarrassed:

Message 3 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

Talking of which, I just so happen to have said extra thick double cream in the fridge oh and some strawberries,mmmmmmmm now there is an idea.

Message 4 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

I was in the restaurant at work once, sharing the table with a deaf and dumb girl who understood every word I said.  She knew I was diabetic and could see I'd got a trifle as a desert.  As I was about to start, she looked so sad and shook her head putting her hand in my way.  

"Alright,"  I said, totally defeated.  I went back and had an orange instead.  Her face lit up and she laughed happily.  No sound whatsoever, but you could tell I really meant something to her.  She had just a sneaking admiration for me.

Message 5 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

Naughty Fred,,,,,,,,,,, i suppose your probably thinking live and let live???.heart. Your tummy will go BANG FRED!!!!!!!! LOL.

Message 6 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

Poor Frederick We all fall off the wagon from time to time! My particular nemesis is cheese try as I will 2oz is a sorry sight & the low fat cheese when you try & melt it turns to something resembling rubber, & dare I say it tastes like it as well.lol. But at least it doesn't get in my beard & moustache so that's something to be thankful for! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 7 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

sounds delish!
if you cannot finish the cream.... pass it over, I will....
Message 8 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

Again, I'm meant to go easy on cheese.  What I am quite partial to is cottage cheese which is a lot  "healthier" than mature Cheddar or Red Leicester.  Even a small tub goes a long, long way when you put it on Ryveta with a couple of slices of cucumber an a wedge of tomato.

The only thing I'm very strict with myself on is coconut.  A Bounty is right out of the question, which is why I have to be careful if I have a curry: they invariably contain coconut oil.  I get offers to see the dietician through the post occasinally, but common sense tells you what you shouldn't have - butter, bacon, salt, sugar, chocolate.  The list is endless.

Message 9 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

Take them up on the offer Frederick , you never know you might be depriving yourself of something you really like! lol. But don't hold yer breath!!.

**********Sam**********
Message 10 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

Yeah - like brandy, for medicinal purposes, for instance!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

In yer dreams! LOL.

**********Sam**********
Message 12 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

Whisked up double cream isn't clotted cream, nice but not clotted.

You don't have to go to the West Country for clotted cream nowadays, you can get it in

the supermarket.  Though I'd be very happy to use theexcuse to go to the West Country!

I'm diabetic too, it's ok to have a treat sometimes.  Just make sure sometimes doesn't

turn into every day, several times a day!

Message 13 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

Frederick, do you keep an eye on your sugar levels by testing regularly? that way you will see if you have made the blood sugar go sky high with the odd indulgence or if maybe your body was getting low so you needed that treat. The dietician was really helpful with my OH and gve me some great ideas for meals - give it a try.

Message 14 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

I might do it next time round, then.  I'll have to get my act together first though.  I always remember the nurse checking my sugar level the first time round - it was so high she thought there was a fault with her machine and checked it twice more.  What she didn't know was the fact that I'd had a Belgian Bun just one hour earlier - it read 34.7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Lol!  She kept shaking her head in disbelief telling me "Somebody up there must like you.  You shouldn't be here!"

When I take it seriously I can get it down to about 6.8   Luckily I'm not a heavy drinker.  I used to drink Indian Tonic Water, thinking it didn't contain sugar, but it contains almost the same amount of sugar as a can of Pepsi.  It was just the quenine that made me think it was OK.

Many years ago, long before I met my wife, I abused my body and was boardering not far short of fourteen stone, then one night after a curry I was up all night with heartburn.  My late father didn't help - he'd have about a third of his and then I'd polish off his on top of mine!  I genuinely thought I was heading for the Pearly Gates.  It was a warning shot across my bows.  I cut out everything.  I lost one-and-a-half stone in six weeks.  Fear makes you able to do the impossible.  Despite my excesses, I'm down to around 11 stone, and no way could I now eat a three course meal because my stomach has shrunk.

It was my pipe dream to run a cream tea parlour once I'd retired, and one in which I would supply my clients with what I'd made myself.  None of this rubbishy piped half-cream which is all you get at seaside places.  Mine would be genuine whipped double cream to go with freshly made apple pie et al.  Unfortunately it would have been very seasonal and apart from the catering licence, easy enough to get, to get anything near what I had in mind would have required a moderate lottery win.  There are scores of businesses out there for sale - every one selling for a reason!  

As the old saying goes - if you haven't made your first million by thirty, you never will.

Message 15 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

aawww clotted cream, I just love the stuff, I daren't buy it or I'd eat the lot over a couple of days.

I have no willpower at all, 53yrs of being told to diet and trying my hardest to do so has resulted in me being a poor waste of space on the diet front.

Photobucket

Message 16 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

I joined slimming world in January because I was getting far too over weight and worried that if I continued I would end up the same way as many of my family and get diabetes. I have lost over 2 stone and nearly hit my target weight with some extra exercise thrown in as well.

I have found a delicious alternative to double cream and now actually prefer it on my straberries. It is sweetened quark use artificial sweetener and mix it into the quark (which by the way is a soft cheese made from skimmed milk which is fat free) it is soo nice you could have it with strawberries every day if you wanted too.

Just thought I would give my tip for the day. Woman Happy

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Next mood swing in 6 minutes
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 17 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

I'm at slimming world as well & have lost just over 2st. Another cream alternative is Total fat free yoghurt with a couple of teaspoons of sweetener mixed in

Photobucket
Message 18 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

What sweetener do you both use? Whatever I try leaves an aftertaste that I find unpleasant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 19 of 24
See Most Recent

Why am I a diabetic?

I just use the Tesco own make but once that runs out I'm going to try something like the Stevia natural one

Photobucket
Message 20 of 24
See Most Recent