Why I will NOT be watching The London Marathon tomorrow

I remember as clear as yesterday the start, and more, of the first London Marathon in 1981.  It was a truly joyous occasion with both professional and fun runners being interviewed prior to the start of the race with various charities they were representing being mentioned.  A pub near the Cutty Sark played live music up on the balcony to egg the runners on.  There was a real carnival atmossphere with the television cameras giving equal coverage to all.  

Sadly all that fizzled out when money reared it ugly but necessary head.  Suddenly everything changed - oh yes, you had your fun runners in their costumes, people waving "Hello Mum!" half sheet banners with people dressed up as rhinos etc. but in the main, professional paid runners earning tens of thousands of pounds for one race suddenly dominated the scene, and very soon after that it descended into a two-and-a-half-hour professional road race, the fun element having evaporated - this was no longer a fun run - this was no longer a "people's race".  Big money had taken over.

We want to see happy, jovial fun runners or "normal" people in their tracksuits running their own race because as far as I am concerned, every one who finishes - especially first timer, is a winner.  THEY ARE THE STARS OF THE SHOW.  

Good luck, all of you who through your own dogged determination, fight the pain and cross the finishing line six, maybe seven hours later, because you have achieved something that nobody can take away.  You have run The London Marathon - and raised money for charity and have NOT been paid for it.  WELL DONE - ALL OF YOU. 

Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

As someone who has attended every London Marathon since the start (as the wife, mother, mother in law of runners),I can see no difference in the atmosphere from the beginning until the present day. Yes, the TV coverage centres on the pro runners but the club/fun/charity runners are as mu h in abundance as they were at the beginning and the atmosphere is as good if not better every year. We always start by watching from a traffic island in Bermondsey & then a quick across London hop to the Embankment.
If you were physically there you would see very little of the pro runners & a lot of fun from the others, of which there are many
Photobucket
Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

Sorry Fred, but I agree with Gina, I would love to see it live,  I think a lot of people go for the atmosphere, to see both the top atheletes and the fun runners, I personally have utmost admiration for both and I am looking forward to seeing it tomorrow.

Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

The TV follow the pro runners as they are the people that the viewers have heard of. They've probsbly never heard of Fred Bloggs from wherever, running for whatever charity.
Ed, if you fancy it next year, come down here & join us
Photobucket
Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

I'm glad you've enjoyed it every year.  I lived in Welling for eleven years and so used to go down to see the start of the mass runners as they set off from Blackheath and always gave them a good send-off.  I never bothered watching the pro runners andwas greatly amused so see one year all the pro runners having passed the Cutty Sark before the last of the fun runners had even passed the starting point.  The queue actually reached as far down the road as the Greeenwich Meridian line it was so crowded one year.  What got me was the sheer speed at which things were done.  The Starting point came down and was loaded onto the back of a truck within ten minutes of the last person passing that point.  Portable toilets were hoisted up and that section of the road was then opened to the public.  They didn't wait until the last runner had crossed the finishing line.  Each section of road opened up as he passed.  It was, and still is operated on with military precision, but I reiterate what I said earlier - to millions of people who watch the television, the "fun" element has all but vanished - all they see is a 2 1/2 hour race which is, in the main, boring.  I worked right next door to the Tower of London so they passed my building every year.  n ex work colleague lived in Tooley Street so every year they ran straight passed his window so he didn't have to go  any distance at all to view it.

Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

My son has run it the last 4 years for charity, & will be running the Edinburgh Marathon also... so yes. I'm biased...but I enjoy every second, knowing how much training he has put in, & how much money he has raised.

& I'm sure I'm just one of hundreds of mums, who watch with pride & admiration.

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

I seem to remember a programme on C4 ( ? ) a few years ago about this marathon. As I remember it delved into the money side of it and showed that a lot of the income got from it had not been given out to the various charities. More than a few £million was still in the bank many years after been recieved. Because of that I take no interest in it.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

I

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 8 of 17
See Most Recent

That sounds interesting - a capital "I"  Smiley LOL  Oh dear, what are we to make of that!  Try to improve on it!Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

I will watch with pride as 2 of my old regulars run ( 1 with the army and one raising funds for CF )

Long may this great marathon continue to raise millions for worthwhile and deserving causes

Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

@5129frederick wrote:

That sounds interesting - a capital "I"  Smiley LOL  Oh dear, what are we to make of that!  Try to improve on it!Smiley LOL

Improved or what ............................... that's what you get for 16 hr days.............. lol 

Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

Daughter ran the Brighton Marathon last weekend - we accompanied her for her last gruelling mile, & she did it to raise money

There was a fantastic atmosphere, & yes, there were competent runners, but many many more rank amateurs

Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

I think the amateurs far and away outnumber the "professionals". One of the problems is the TV companies tend to show more of the professional runners than the amateurs, apart from at the start when many wear funny costumes etc. I think it's a brilliant race and so many people who you wouldn't ever think enter it, do so for charity.

Our plumber, normally quite slow, laid back, almost horizontal, ran it for a cerebral palsy charity (his daughter has it) and my nephew who thinks exercise is holding a pint, ran it and so enjoyed himself he ran the New York marathon 2 years ago, for Breast Cancer (his wife had it and so did I). So, often the most unlikely people do these amazing things, bless them.

Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

I dont know how they do those people,,i have real admiration for them. I know you have to train and everything but it must be difficult and you have to be somewhat fit. I think id be gasping after the first mile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. All the charities too and people running in costumes in the heat. Take my hat off to themheart

Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

I would collapse after 100 metres rose Smiley LOL

36,000 entrants yesterday, brilliant!

Sadly though, a man died soon after crossing the finishing line... Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

Oh Gosh yes i saw that yesterday oh dear,,they have lost a few people,young ones too.heart

Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

The TV coverage of this year's Marathon was dire, all about the pros, a bit near the end about the ordinary peeps and their great costumes, and a right slating of Mo Farah just because he didn't win.

I agree with OP, if you are a TV viewer, it isn't worth watching.

Message 17 of 17
See Most Recent