Who is having fish for tea, tea thread,

Doing this mega early today as OH is putting posts in the ground for our new fence today, and I have to supervise. I don't want it looking like this.

We will be having chicken slow cooked with red wine, with Celeriac mash, green beans and carrots.  We don't worry about the fish on friday thing, we just have it when we fancy it,   (Easy now ladies)

Message 1 of 36
See Most Recent
35 REPLIES 35

Not having fish on Good Friday? Woman Surprised *faints*

Cod for us. Woman Very Happy

I felt like a change ok?
Message 2 of 36
See Most Recent

It's all fencing today, I've got a bloke coming round at 1 to give me a quote for new fencing & next door have had thiers ripped out this morning to be replaced (must admit I didn't appreciate the workman arriving & shouting about at 7.30 on a bank holiday), but I'm hoping that they're doing all of thier boundaries so I'll only need to do one side.
So far have stayed in & done a big freezer batch cook of various curries so chicken curry & rice for me tonight
Photobucket
Message 3 of 36
See Most Recent

Fish pie here.. which reminds me.. must take the fish out of the freezer!

Message 4 of 36
See Most Recent

Haven't decided yet.  We usually do have fish on Fridays but for no particular reason.

Message 5 of 36
See Most Recent

I eat fish when I fancy fish. Think I am having spag bol tonight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 36
See Most Recent

We're having jacket potato (if I get off my bum and go and get them!), together with

bits of assorted cold meats that we need to eat up, and cheese, salad and fruit.

Message 7 of 36
See Most Recent

I intend to eat fish but that could change at anytime? lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 8 of 36
See Most Recent

Hope the fences get done folks and your happy with the end result!!.

I dont stick to Fish on Fridays,,i will be having The Chicken Hotpot i should have had last night but did not( shepherds Pie again instead). With Carrots

Woman Happy

Message 9 of 36
See Most Recent

You nicking me pie again Rose?lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 10 of 36
See Most Recent

I believe in eating fish on Good Friday,I'm not a Catholic or anything but I am a quiet Christian!!  we have fish a lot. We shall be having fish chips and peas, and I can't wait...I've been up since 4am and I'm so hungry!!!

Photobucket

Message 11 of 36
See Most Recent

Eating fish on a Friday has no basis in religious belief whatsoever. Smiley Happy

Edward IV repealed the dietary laws in existence at the time particularly the Statute of Diet and Apparel of 1363 but in order to help the fishing industry passed a law banning the eating of meat on Fridays, Saturdays and during Lent for all except for the sick.

Elizabeth 1 raised the penalty for eating meat when prohibited to three months imprisonment and James 1 removed the exception for the sick.

Elizabeth 1 also decreed that anyone who preached that not eating meat on a Friday would save your soul, would be punished as a spreader of false news.

It wasn't until the reign of Queen Victoria that dietary laws were finally repealed.

So no one need feel guilty eating meat today.

@saasher2012 wrote:
I intend to eat fish but that could change at anytime? lol.

NO LOOOL,,im not having a go at your pie!!!!. LOL.  You enjoy your pie or whatever your having luv .Woman Happy

Message 13 of 36
See Most Recent

We always have salmon salad on a Friday anyway so today is no different.  We never have meat on Good Friday.  I must admit that I am a lapsed catholic but I still won't eat meat on Good Friday.  I had mushroom cup a soup and a roll for my lunch and my mum had mackerel and the vegetables that were left over from last night.

Message 14 of 36
See Most Recent

Photobucketi'm haveing trout with new patatoes and peas

Petal
Message 15 of 36
See Most Recent

Oooh! Let's all go to Petals, do I bring wine or beer or both?

**********Sam**********
Message 16 of 36
See Most Recent

If you had to have fish I'd starve. Hate the stuff 😯🐟🐠🐡
Photobucket
Message 17 of 36
See Most Recent

A few years I got so fed up with eating trout that I've never taken one since, now they all go back though I must confess it's a bit hard to see a sea trout or salmon swim off.

These days it seems a bit odd to think of eating fish instead of meat as a form of abstinence since fish tends to cost more.

Home made cranberry & orange hot cross bun

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 19 of 36
See Most Recent

Hot cross buns have never been the same since you could buy them at any time instead of having to order from the bakers in advance and go there first thing on Good Friday morning to get them.

Cranberry and orange sounds wonderful, perhaps I should try making my own, they might go back to being special then.