Which lawnmower do you have?

Are you happy with it? 

Have to get a new one, ours has gone to lawnmower heaven. We have a smallish lawn so don't need anything special however do want a collecting box.

Not too expensive, just one that works. Have looked at reviews but none of them seem to be all that good.

So, as you all helped with the washing machine purchase I was hoping for your views on lawnmowers Smiley Happy

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanual Kant
Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

We don't have any grass any more except for a bank which we use a strimmer on. We have just got rid of a Qualcast flymo. It was fine for a small lawn. It cost about £40.
Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Likewise no grass, when I did I used the sheep, great for nibbling down like a bowling green but not so good for the flowers!. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

I had an electric Black and Decker rotary for about 9 years which was running out of puff by the time I got rid of it. My problen is I have a fair amount of lawn front and back and I often don't get around to cutting it very frequently and so when I did the mower struggled.

So I bought a petrol mower which has been great for the past 4 years, was £89 in B&Q, plus some engine oil and funnels it all came to about £100. Been very happy with it as it cuts through the long grass with not much trouble. Yes I have to get petrol but I don't have to mess with electrical cables.

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Would love a sheep but it would get into the neighbours and spoil their neatly arranged and manicured garden.

Any more please?

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

We have a selection, not sure why as the garden is far from being huge.

Most often he uses a flymo with grass collection box and a strimmer for the edges and around pots etc. Does the job, copes fine even if the grass is a bit damp, can be used even if the ground is a bit damp (as it often is as the drainage is poor). My only complaint is that somehow it intereferes with my remote controlled devices - the light and the tv come on and go off at random. It is also noisy. We have had it a few years now, so newer models may be better.

We also have an electric Qualcast cylinder mower that is mostly used with the lawn rake attchment on to fetch out the moss and dead stuff. In the past when he used the cylinder mower to cut the grass he seemed to spend ages sharpening and setting the blades - probably more time "tinkering" than actually mowing.

Used to live in a cottage where we regularly had sheep, horses, chickens and ducks on the lawn.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

We have a Flymo and we had to get this one earlier on this year to replace the old one earlier on this year.  We have a small lawn at the back of the bungalow.  We had the front lawn taken up about five years ago.  Our new lawnmower cost £69 from Argos earlier on this year.  I've seen one in B & Q for £68 the other day when I was in.  If you know someone who has a diamond card at B & Q, ask them to go with you on a Wednesday as you'll 10% off.

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

We used to have a lovely new sit -on till some tes leaves helped themseves to it

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

we have a petrol one too but our lawns are biggish, especially the back one. It's brilliant as the cable on an electric one always gets in the way doesn't it? I would go for a petrol one if I were you, they aren't that much more than an electric one and OH seems to mow a lot quicker with this one.

I'd love a sheep to do the job though.

Photobucket

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

I use a hover mower which is fitted with a proper metal blade instead of the thin plastic string that most seem to have these days; it will deal with quite long grass if it has to.
Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

We've got one of those orange flymo things which is fine for our needs (medium-sized lawn).

We do have to use an extension lead though to get right to the bottom of the garden.

We had a Black & Decker one before that which was also good, until it died after many years.

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks everyone, ours was a Flymo hover, it has lasted about 6 years and made a horrible mess with grass cuttings all over the place. Not sure yeat what we will end up with but I have some ideas now Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent