Well I never!

oh laugh, it looks like the road has a new pet. We've got a pair of pheasants that have taken up residence in the road, they keep popping into our gardens for a look around and OH has just seen the male wandering around outside our house!!!

they are such dozy birds aren't they? but so comical.

Maybe we should think of a name for them!!

Photobucket

Message 1 of 20
See Most Recent
19 REPLIES 19

Well I never!

I wonder where they have appeared from?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

@captainbovine wrote:

Maybe we should think of a name for them!!

Roast and Stewed.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can fail at what you don't want.....so you might as well take a chance on what you love.........

Message 3 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

Those were the sort of names I was thinking of twishy.

They're rather silly.  They run across the road right in front of you,  stupid birds!!

Message 4 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

We sometimes have pheasants, ducks and a sparrowhawk as we have quite a few farms and wooded areas near us and they seem to come from there.

Message 5 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

I had to walk past one last week that had just been hit; so sad. The males have such beautiful colouring. Everytime I walk along that road, I can hear its mate calling out. We don't often get them round here.

Message 6 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

I have fond memories of a sunny early evening. Had been to Bakewell to visit daughter and was on my way to ameeting in Derby. Decided to park at Chatsworth House and eat my sarnies.

Parked up, opened all the doors, including the hatchback. Enjoyed my sarnies and a can of pop, and decided that I had better get moving. Shut the car doors, then went to the boot - there was a **bleep** pheasant sunning himself, very comfortable on my coat. Tried to encourage him to leave, but he was very comfy and had no intention of obliging.

I did think of just slamming the hatchback and driving off with him shut in there, but I was pretty fond of that coat. In the end I had to grab the coat and shake him out - he gave me a filthy look as he stalked off!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 7 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

Yes - I call them 'dinner'

A note of caution: pick up a dead pheasant, it's 'road kill', hit a pheasant and pick it up, that's 'poaching'. Moral of the story? Always be the second car on a country road...

Message 8 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

My hubby used to bring them home. Not sure if he was the first or second vehicle. He was the second one with the deer though!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 9 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

I think it's the time of year for them to mooch about all over the place

and presumably mate etc.  I remember when I used to drive a bus

out in the wilds of Essex, the daft birdies were always mucking about

in the road, I think that bus was late most of the time for all the

diverting round the pheasants!

Message 10 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

I love pheasants, I think they're pretty cool looking birds 🙂 Will never eat one though 😛
Message 11 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

Why not? They are delicious!

Message 12 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

Ooooerrrrr thats cute. they are good looking birds. Awwww bless. Just the start of their adventures. Keep us informed CB

Woman Happy

Message 13 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

seems that all the land around here has been owned, and most of it still is, by the Bodnant estate. Once upon a time they had a pheasant shoot going on, but it went bust a couple of years ago. Some of the pheasants managed to escape the gun and are living in and around our bungalows!!

I could hear him chucking his head off this afternoon...daft bat!!! No doubt he'll be in the garden tomorrow. Must say they look in tip top condition.

Photobucket

Message 14 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

The trouble with pheasants, is that lots of them are bred, reared and then released by humans for the shooting.. they have no fear of humans.. silly sods!
Message 15 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

the reason that they are brave now is that it is NOT shooting season

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 16 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

We have loads around here at the moment running around the roads and fields, they wont be around for that long though as the gamekeepers will be sorting them out to make way for next seasons young, for the shoot. We have three shoots around us, so there are a lot of pheasants around, our Poppy loves them especially when they fly up in front of her she goes nuts.   We have enough in the freezer to last until next seaon.  Plenty of Casseroles, stews and pies.  At least they have a purpose in life and arn't just wasted.

Message 17 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

I'm not very good at jointing them, and OH has decided he didn't like the look of them as the ones we were given had a few feathers still on and holes where the shot had been. Now I'm not hard, but that didn't bother me. So I wrapped up the two (we had one) and froze them.

Photobucket

Message 18 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

We were in Devon once and went up a little country road(toll).  Well there were pheasants everywhere.  OH refused to drive through them and in the end daughter soft-heartedly got out and walked in front of the car shooing them away.  It was only when I got out myself that I realised the road wasn't entirely carpetted with autumn leaves as I had thought!!!!!! Yuk!

Message 19 of 20
See Most Recent

Well I never!

Boh!
Message 20 of 20
See Most Recent