Update on my right knee - MRI Scan due - Anxious.

I'm a bit anxious about this.  I've got early signs of osteo arthritis in my right knee.  Was referred to the Island - Sheppey and have now received an appointment for an MRI scan on my right knee on August 2nd.  Just a wee bit anxouus about it.  Ever had it done, and what does it involve?  How long will it take.  What's the difference between a normal X-ray and an MRI?  Will they inject dye into my leg or something?  I think a dental appointment would be slightly favourable! Smiley Very Happy  Am I worrying over nothing?  I don't want to know if he says I have to have my cartilage removed or something.  I'm a big baby in that respect - Helllllppppp!

Message 1 of 24
See Most Recent
23 REPLIES 23

With an MRI you lie in a tube with headphones on (because of the very noisy equipment) and it takes a magnetic resonance image all around your knee - that takes longer than an X-ray but gives a clearer picture of all the non-boney bits - eg your cartilage.

You will not be dyed.

Be aware that, if they use the old types of machines, they skoot you right in, head first and if you suffer like me from claustrophobia, it can be one heck of a shock.

Ask them if they can do you with just your legs and main part of your body in the tube but with your head outside.

You just have to lie there very still until they come and de-tube you.

You do have an emergency panic button and they can talk to you through the headphones and hear your response too - so no need to scream

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 2 of 24
See Most Recent

I can only echo what has already been said - if you have a cd of your preferred music that will usually play it through the headphones for you.

You will be required to undress and put on the wonderful hospital gown. You will have to remove spectacles, false teeth, hearing aids,jewlellery etc.

It isn't particularly comfortable lying very still on a narrow and hard platform, but it is totally painless and doesn't take long.

As for an operation to remove cartiledge that is nothing to worry about either. Icould type pages of horror stories of my various operations if you like - your worries will then fade in to insignificance.

Good luck with it

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 3 of 24
See Most Recent

Oh yes, and do not take any credit, debit cards, bus passes, or any other card that has a magnetic strip into the room with you or else they'll be erased!

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 4 of 24
See Most Recent

Nothing to worry about - just a bit noisy. See below:

The MRI scanner is like a tunnel about 1.5 metres long, surrounded by a large circular magnet. You lie on a couch which then slides into the scanner. A 'receiving device', like an aerial, is placed behind, or around, the part of the body being examined. This detects the tiny radio signals emitted from your body. When each 'picture' is being taken you need to keep still for a few minutes, otherwise the scan picture may be blurred.

The scan itself is painless. The whole procedure can take 15-40 minutes. It may be a little uncomfortable lying still on the couch for this time. Small children may need a general anaesthetic to keep them still long enough for the pictures to be taken. In some cases, an injection of a special contrast dye is given into the bloodstream via a vein on the arm. This helps to give clearer pictures of certain tissues or organs being examined.

The radiographer sits in the control room next to the scanner and observes through the window. However, you can talk to them, usually via an intercom, and you will be observed at all times on a monitor.

The scanner is noisy so you will be given some headphones or earplugs to protect your ears from the noise. Quite often you can listen to the radio through the headphones or bring a CD to listen to.

Genesis 1.31 NIV The sixth day.
Message 5 of 24
See Most Recent

Hi Fred, I have never had one so I can't help you sorry, but just keep thinking that at least it is being sorted out and hopefully you are on your way to being better.

Chin Up.

Message 6 of 24
See Most Recent

Thanks everybody.  The one thing that won't worry me is the noise.  I am, quite literally, STONE DEAF    without my hearing aids Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

I'll be a brave boy then.Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 24
See Most Recent

Ooooh Frederick, don't be scared it's all for the good & hopefully you'll be skittling about like a young colt again.

**********Sam**********
Message 8 of 24
See Most Recent

you can do it Frederick, then you will be able to reassure everyone else that has to have an MRI. with most things in life, the build up is worse than the event, be brave, and good luck

Message 9 of 24
See Most Recent

Hi I agree with everything above ^^^^ - all excellent advice.  I have now had 5 MRI's - there is absolutely nothing at all to worry about.  I have had a contrast MRI done as well which involved dye and again there was absolutely no problem at all.  Hope everything goes well for you.

I would rather have an MRI than an X-ray - I don't like the amount of radiation you get from an x-ray and also the MRI shows up a lot more eg soft tissue etc.

Message 10 of 24
See Most Recent

I've not had a scan so I can't comment on that, but what I will say is to try glucosamine sulphate tablets for your arthritis. I've suffered with it on occasions over the past 10 or 12 years and GS has always sorted it. Not wanting to take it all the time I've just used it when I've felt the pains coming on until a few days after the relief has kicked in. It does take a few days to a week or so to start working and doesn't work for everyone, but IMHO is certainly worth a try, No need to buy the expensive stuff, I get the own brand cheapo ones from Wilko, about £3 for a 60 tablet pack, about 30 - 60 days supply.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 11 of 24
See Most Recent

it's no big deal Fred, I've had one and it's OK. It is noisy though but that won't bother you eh?

you'll be fine. x

Photobucket

Message 12 of 24
See Most Recent

As has been said fred, nothing to worry about.

It is a really clever piece of equipment though, it takes hundreds of pictures of all the parts of your body in horizontal slices and then on a screen it builds them all up again so the doctors can see how you are put together, so of course it will show any lumps or bumps and faults etc that are there but shouldn't be.   Really fascinating.

MRI = Magnetic resonance imaging

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Next mood swing in 6 minutes
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 13 of 24
See Most Recent

Hey, I'm gonna have to check this out tomorrow.  The appointment is on a Saturday at 20.00hrsSmiley Surprised  Eight-o-clock in the EVENING???

I can't buy that.  That's going to cause major problems - the car's off the road, and busses don't run that late and by taxi, that would be around £30.00.  Must be some mistake.  Have you ever had an appointment at that absurd hour?

Message 14 of 24
See Most Recent

I think that's probably right Fred, they have to use those machines as much as possible, there's always a waiting list for them.  They even do in-patients in the middle of the night for that reason.  Could someone give you a lift?  If you can't make this one you might have a long time to wait for another appointment. 

Message 15 of 24
See Most Recent

@5129frederick wrote:

Hey, I'm gonna have to check this out tomorrow.  The appointment is on a Saturday at 20.00hrsSmiley Surprised  Eight-o-clock in the EVENING???

I can't buy that.  That's going to cause major problems - the car's off the road, and busses don't run that late and by taxi, that would be around £30.00.  Must be some mistake.  Have you ever had an appointment at that absurd hour?

It is possible that depending on what area you come under that the scanner is only opened up and used at specific times.

It is a very expensive piece of equipmen,t about 10 years ago it cost around £400 a session per person so perhaps there are only certains times it is used to keep costs to a minimum. I would check it out though.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 16 of 24
See Most Recent

I think it's just the opposite, they have to use it 24/7 because it was so expensive to buy.  They have to make the cost worthwhile.

Message 17 of 24
See Most Recent

@chickengrandma-2008 wrote:

I think it's just the opposite, they have to use it 24/7 because it was so expensive to buy.  They have to make the cost worthwhile.

mmmmmmm, possibly now, I was quoting from a good few years ago, either way it is expensive so they have to use  it wisely. It took our local hospital years to get one, my OH had to travel to his before they got one like Fred has to.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 18 of 24
See Most Recent

My son in law was one of the installers of our hospital's original one.  They've probably had a new one since then though because this was 15 or more years ago and they don't last that long.

Message 19 of 24
See Most Recent

HI I think the time of the appointment may well be correct.  I have had an MRI at 1930 hours and also had one done on a Sunday.  Hopefully you can get a lift off someone.

Message 20 of 24
See Most Recent