Take away Furniture.

I know we obviously live in different areas but im finding it hard to find anyone who will take furniture from my flat without you having to pay them!. Then i thought of Charity Shops. The bigger ones have furniture and i wondered if anyone knew if your giving it away would they come into your flat and help take it down in a lift (which my block has) and out to their van.

I have been told by council furniture removals you have to get it outside or downstairs yourself and i have no one to help me do this. I dont want to sell it as nothing is really worth that much as its old and second hand even third hand. But some items are heavy. I dont know what to do about getting it shifted?. Ideas anyone?.

Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

Take away Furniture.

do you not have free cycle or cheap cycle in your area...then if someone wants it they come and collect and lift it there selves.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

Take away Furniture.

Whats that Cookie is it online???. It sounds good.

Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

Take away Furniture.

normally joined to face book but not always.

just type in google or simalar free cycle or cheapcycle and see if there is any in your area.

you just post what you have and then people message you to say please may i have etc or you get people saying wanted three piece ect and you can say i have one if you want it etc,,, hope this helps.

i have got rid of loads like this.

even second hand stuff for students moving into first bedsit etc,

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

Take away Furniture.

If you ring yur local shops that have furniture showrooms (round us, Oxfam do, and Roy Castle, and I think Scope, but I've also seen BHF) they will usually arrange to come round, and they definitely help load - in fact, last time I used them (when my grandfather died and I needed to clear his flat) Age Concern sent two men, and wouldn't let me help!  That may have been because it was pretty much everything (except for a small side table...) but they were great.  In a previous life, Scope came out to collect furniture from an open lock up for me, and I wasn't even there - so I am fairly certain you can get help 🙂

Freecycle is also great, but it depends on how much you've got to go ie whether you'll need to wait in multiple times.  When I moved into my current house, it was stuffed to the gills with a lot of fairly cruddy stuff, and the landlord said I could just ditch what I didn't want: a couple of students came round with a car and got it all from me- I advertised in the morning, and it was gone by lunch time!

Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

Take away Furniture.

Ahhhhhh thank you Cookie and everyone at least i can rest knowing i can get rid of it. I was worried i would be trying to stuff things in my spare room and never being able to get rid of them. I will contact who you have suggested and give it a go.

Woman Very Happy

Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

Take away Furniture.

I had a similar problem a few years ago.  None of the big "national" charities were interested.  Then I got in touch with a local homeless charity and they were delighted to get the furniture, they picked it up from the room it was in.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

Take away Furniture.

This has been a pain in the proverbial for me recently. I bought a new suite and had 3 recliner armchairs in really good condition. The charity shops didn't want them so I put them on Freecycle. I posted that all 3 had to be taken. Big mistake putting them on there. Lots of interest, from people who asked me if they could just have one. Then someone said they would take them and would they fit into a taxi! Then two separate people said they would have them but then said they didn't. Then someone asked if I could deliver and by then I'd had enough. I removed the offer from Freecycle and phoned the council who will collect them for £20.00. Of course I've got to keep them in my garden under heavy polythene that I had to buy to keep them dry.

I remember the days when you could put them outside your house and they'd be gone within the hour lol. Woman Very Happy

I felt like a change ok?
Message 8 of 17
See Most Recent

Take away Furniture.

Where I live we have what is called Too Good To Waste. As long as its not carp stuff they will pick it up for nothing then sell it on at cheap prices to low income families to cover their costs.

Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

Take away Furniture.

There is a furniture charity here that takes anything in good condition but they have to have the flame retardant labels on them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

Take away Furniture.

Yes that's what I was told re the flame retardant labels, but when we bought the chairs they were on the front on a dangly label, which of course we cut off... 

I felt like a change ok?
Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

Take away Furniture.

I did contact one place The Heart Foundation have a big shop in Maidstone and they will collect stuff. their only too pleased for the donation.

Woman Happy

Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

Take away Furniture.

@**roofie** wrote:

This has been a pain in the proverbial for me recently. I bought a new suite and had 3 recliner armchairs in really good condition. The charity shops didn't want them so I put them on Freecycle. I posted that all 3 had to be taken. Big mistake putting them on there. Lots of interest, from people who asked me if they could just have one. Then someone said they would take them and would they fit into a taxi! Then two separate people said they would have them but then said they didn't. Then someone asked if I could deliver and by then I'd had enough. I removed the offer from Freecycle and phoned the council who will collect them for £20.00. Of course I've got to keep them in my garden under heavy polythene that I had to buy to keep them dry.

I remember the days when you could put them outside your house and they'd be gone within the hour lol. Woman Very Happy

Those days are still around for us.  Just put on drive with a label saying free and it will go.  Mind you now they have shut 2 schools we don't get as much stuff nicked. LOL

Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

Take away Furniture.

Just put on drive with a label saying free and it will go.

Goes even quicker if the label says £10.

People like to think they are getting away with something.

Take away Furniture.

If it says £10 only a thief would take it, say free & an honest person will take it. Depends who you have most of where you live! Woman Wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

Take away Furniture.

I knew the trick of putting a price on it and it will go quicker, but I never looked at it like that Maggie.  I'll remember if I ever think to do it in the future.  Woman Happy

Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

Take away Furniture.

@ilove2patch wrote:

If it says £10 only a thief would take it, say free & an honest person will take it. Depends who you have most of where you live! Woman Wink

An honest person would only take it if they wanted it, a thief would take it because they think they've gained something worth £10.