Squirrels.

This is a bit of a gory tale so if you are at all squeamish best not to look.

This was just told to me by my husband who was told by the person involved, the mole man.

We had the mole catcher this morning.  He said that he'd set traps in a ladies loft because she had squirrels in there.  She phoned him one day because she could here something scampering about.  He went round straight away and went up the loft, where he found a squirrel and a nest of babies.  As he got into the loft the mother squirrel flew at him and sank her teeth, through his jacket into his shoulder.  He couldn't prize it off at all so the only option he had was to strangle the squirrel.  

Still he couldn't get it's jaws open and his shoulder was getting sore.  The only thing he could think to do was to put a plastic bag over the squirrel and go to A&E.  When he went into the cubicle there were a number of staff all waiting to see the spectacle but none of them could get it off.  In the end they had to cut the teeth off at the gums so his jacket and shirt could be removed, his arm was anaesthetised and then the curved teeth, two top and two bottom could be pulled out individually!!   

Squirrels are cute though!  Smiley Wink

squirrel.jpg

Message 1 of 22
See Most Recent
21 REPLIES 21

Squirrels.

That made me feel quite sick! They are tree rats really & I hate rats! I hope he is ok.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

OMG   squirrels are no longer on my cute animal list !

Squirrels.

Yep! Tree rats they are & like a rat they will & do protect their young, poor fella I bet his shoulder is sore, just imagine if the animal had sunk it's teeth into his cheek, makes ya shudder to think about it?

**********Sam**********
Message 4 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

Bloody hell!!! Those are some right evil looking choppers there aren't they! 😛
Message 5 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

@ilove2patch wrote:

That made me feel quite sick! They are tree rats really & I hate rats! I hope he is ok.

But do you hate trees? Smiley Indifferent

Ignore anything under this ^^^^^ line... It's just my signature....
Message 6 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

I once gave one of my rats a gentle poke to get her attention.

Quick as lightning she spun round and I had half an inch of finger in her mouth, I could feel the teeth.

She didn't sink them in though, just held me for a couple of seconds then let go, I got the message. Smiley Happy

Squirrels.

She was only protecting her young .........

Message 8 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

what happened to the babies??

I've just been watching the squirrel who comes into our garden today..I have no intention of going near him though.

Photobucket

Message 9 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

Probably best not to ask!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 10 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

I've no idea to be honest, but as he was a pest controller I don't suppose he took them all home and bottle fed them!  Smiley Indifferent

Message 11 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

@millielilac wrote:
She was only protecting her young .........

You say that as if he should have left it there and carried on with his work!  Woman Surprised

Message 12 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

I'm afraid Squirrels can do even more damage in a house than a rat or mouse , the guy was only doing his job! God forbid that he had fallen from the attic ladder, the outcome could have been even more serious!. & if it had been a rat I don't think anyone would have been worried about her babies!!

**********Sam**********
Message 13 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

funny thing trying to draw the line between cute and not cute eh?

Photobucket

Message 14 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

Too right, I had a similar incident last year , one of the farm cats brought in a live rabbit for her kittens & the lads were trying to take it from her until I pointed out she probably had spent all night waiting to catch it, & if I saw them trying to take a live rat of her then they could do the same for the rabbit. I feed my cats but they are doing a job they certainly don't distinguish between cute & yuk, it's food!.
Nature in its rawest form!

**********Sam**********
Message 15 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

No it was only an observation.......I would have no illusions about what his job would entail.....his work was pest control.

I am also fully aware of the damage that could be done to the fabric of the house ....electric wiring etc....

Any grey squirrel in this area is reportable ........no matter how cute they might look ......
Message 16 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

Didn't mean to offend, I was only making an observation, & your correct she was only protecting her babies as I said in an earlier post.lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 17 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

Non taken .......no worries ......
Message 18 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

Bless ya!

**********Sam**********
Message 19 of 22
See Most Recent

Squirrels.

Oh dear, bit horrible for the mole man that he got hurt.  However, nature is nature

and the mummy squirrel was just protecting her babies.  Try and seperate any mummy,

animal or human, from her babies and she wouldn't take it lightly, in fact most would

die for their babies and sadly, this squirrel did.

Message 20 of 22
See Most Recent