Potatoes too small to roast? Don't waste them.

If, like me, you buy a 2.5 kilo bag of potatoes from the supermarket, you'll invariably the apart from five, six if you're lucky, suitably sized potatoes, you'll end up with about seven small potatoesd, about the size of a tomato, too small to roast.  It's a con  - they're just pushed in to make up the weight.  Rather than dump them - I hate waste, puncture them a couple of times with a knife, and pop two of them into a microwave for seven minutes, eating the whole thing with butter or margerine, skin and all.  You won't believe just how much it fills you up.  An hour later you won't be able to move, and you'll know exactly what you've eaten.

Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

I roast little potatoes. I cut all the roasting veg the same size & chuck it all in with some olive oil & herbs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

I always use the tiny pots for my salads it only takes a little while to steam them!

**********Sam**********
Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

I might try that.  Like I said, more than anything else, I hate waste.   Buying too much food too near to the sell by date really carves me up.  I used to mock my late father about it until I got married and had to buy the stuff myself!

Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

Too small to roast?  How can a potato be too small to roast?

A certain Auntie sells small roasties  so how can they be too small?

You bored Fred?

Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

Easy - by the time you peel it all round, and then halve or quarter it, bring the water to the boil, put into the dish with the "normal" potatoes and pour oil over them, they would have all but shrivelled up.  That's what I find anyway.  

And why should I be bored??  (Frown)  I love cooking and talking about it.  I taught my wife how to cook.  Some of the top French chefs are men, and why not?  My secret ambition was to serve in the catering car of an intercity train going between London and Scotland, or getting a job behind a counter on a cross channel ferry.

Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

aha. that's where you are going wrong.. why would you cut up a small potato. roast them  whole with the skin left on.  absolutely no waste... ohh and if you brush the pan with oil before heating and then brush the potatoes with a little more before cooking you'd save on oil too.

Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

I roast small potatoes too - never bother to par boil them or peel.

Sometimes I'll halve them and roast them with other veg in a roasting dish - they're delicious and never go to waste.

Why do you think it's a con that they are added to make up the weight - personally I can't see that at all. It's not as if they aren't useable.

I really dislike microwaved jacket potatoes - somehow it seems to change the texture, however I do like them cooked in a combination microwave then they have lovely crispy skin, not like the soggy flacid skin on microwaved ones.

Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

Roast them in their skins here too Fred, lovely with other roasted veggies, with lots of garlic, I don't worry about waste if it is too near its date I freeze it,  I freeze mushrooms, sliced, if I have too many, same with onions, and peppers, I halve tomatoes and freeze them great in stews, I slice greens and open freeze them and then pop them into a bag, same with leeks.  I very rarely throw out any food waste.

Bread gets breadcrumbed,  If I have a lot of veg that needs eating up I will do Roasted vegetables in the bottom of a roasting dish then put chicken thighs and chirizo on the top and roast, the oil that comes out is lovely and you can use it to baste the veggies. If you have more than needed for tea the rest can be frozen.

Now you've done it I am hungry again now.

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

I cook them rather differently.  The large ones I peel, split them down the side and then halve them again, so that each potato is quartered.  If I put them straight into a roasting dish the tend to come out underdone, so what I do is put them into a sausepan of cold water with a teaspoon of salt, and bring it up to the boil.  The second it reaches the boil take it off the gas, use a collander to drain the water and put them straight into a hot pyrex oven dish.  Drizzle - not saturate, them with cooking oil, and put them onto the lower shelf of the oven, below whatever you're cooking.  About half-an-hour before your main meal is ready, transfer them to the upper shelf, turning them as necessary.  You'll find everything turns out dunky dory.  With parsnips, after peeling them, split them into quarters and do the same as you would potatoes, although they need rather more salt, and once they're ready, put into a seperate dish and coat with butter and a little pepper.  

That's how I've always done it, anyway.  I'm no Cordon Bleu, but give me any joint of meat, or a duck, chicken or whatever, and I'll turn out stuff having people doing an "Oliver" on me, wanting more.  TRY it my way.  I'll try it your way.  It's the only way we learn.

I know he had his faults, but a reporter once asked Chairman Mao the source of his great knowledge.  He replied: "Because every third man I meet is a teacher."  The reporter just laughed, because he didn't understand - every third person you meet knows something you don't, and vice versa.  

I always used to watch *bleep* Craddock and her totally henpecked husband Johnny, although I think he played up to it a bit.  She may have come over all smarmy, but give me her any day of the week to Gordon "Effing" Ramsay.  I ask you - what kind of an example does he set the younger generation?!!  I'll kid ye not: if I spoke to anybody at school like that, I'd get a size 9 cauliflower ear within two days!

Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

Alright, you've convinced me - I'll try cooking the whole next time I buy a chicken or a shoulder of lamb.

Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

Ever thought of letting small potatoes sprit and then plant them in the garden so you can grow your own potatoes?  

Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

Why on earth would you dump them?

Why are small potatoes too small to roast?  Just have smaller roast

potatoes!  They take less time to roast thus saving gas too - wow, double saving

whammy!

Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

oooooh stop talking about roasties....I want some....I love roasties, my favourite way to eat a tatey.

I never watch cookery programmes, I hate cooking, I slow cook most stuff as I dont' have to maul with it too much. Or I'll roast everything as that's easy too.

Photobucket

Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent