Need some advice re ac/dc power adapter please

Hello

I've purchased an electrical appliance that was much cheaper to buy from Spain than here, hence it has a two pin power adapter. 

I thought about buying new adapters, but I've read that I have to get them spot on the same as the ones I've bought so the item will power up correctly. I've also wondered if I could just use a shaver adapter, but don't know if that's safe to do?

Any ideas please?

I'm just about add a pic of the adapter type / spec. 

Many thanks in advance.

Spoiler

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Here's the specs off the power adapter plug.

I hope someone can help, as I'd like to go and buy whatever I need tomorrow 🙂

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h226/forever_thirty/Mobile%20Uploads/20151127_192251-1_zpsee3ogree...

Thanks

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

You 'should' be fine using a shaver adaptor 'but' for one thing.  Shavers are very low power, maybe no more than 20 Watts and the adaptors are rated to about that. Your PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) I see states '110 - 240 Volt 0 . 08 Amps ' which amounts to 88 to 192 Watts, far more than the shaver adaptor's rating, and far greater than I would expect to see for such a small output of ( Volts X Amps ) 18 Watts.  A current of 0 . 08 Amps would be more likely correct --- drawing just one tenth of the 88 - 192 Watts -- making it fine for a shaver adaptor. Just my thoughts that the label is incorrect.

When you go to buy the shaver adaptor, look for the rating moulded on it, I doubt you will find one rated at the PSU label details. Take the PSU with you and ask at the shop for advice. Although a bit more expensive than supermarkets etc. for the adaptor, Maplin will give good advice.  KEEP YOR RECEIPT.

ALWAYS look on the PSU for a ' Voltage ' switch, there may be one although some PSU's are 'auto select' to suit the input. 

Some years ago I bought a PSU from Maplin, a variable voltage one giving choices of 3 Volt to 15 Volt at about 2 Amps with a selection of 'tips' to fit various devices. It had a two pin plug built in ( like yours ) and had the ' 2 to 3 ' pin converter with it. A very good PSU on offer at half its normal price of £20. 

A lot of computer printers, scanners etc., especially the older ones, used PSU's similar to yours with very good outputs and could be useful if you every need such a thing. PC repar shops may have used ones for next to no cost, same with car boot sales. Just look for the correct voltage and a current at least as high as you need. The 'Polarity' needs to be correct and is normally as your label shows --- 'Centre is positive'.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

???

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Thank you so much Cat Happy

Would this adapter be suitable please? (You can buy the same product a bit cheaper on ebay, but this page gives a detailed description)

https://www.beststuff.co.uk/store/masterplug-mva1200-900-1200ma-universal-3v-12v-ac-dc-adaptor.htm

Thanks again

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

That is not quite powerful enough, it's only 1200mA ( 1 . 2 Amps ) . It needs to be at least 1500 mA ( 1 . 5 Amps ).

That one also has a 'low current' limit, which means that any appliance you power from it needs to have a minimum current draw of 900 mA. Anything lower will make the voltage rise and may damage the appliance. Your appliance will most likely be above that minimum but, as I say, the 1200 mA is too low.

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Hi

I've replied at the bottom of the page Cat Happy

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

BTW, what is the appliance?

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Hi again

Sorry to be a pain, but I've bought a substantial looking 'UK visitor adapter' (thats what its called, and it's a reverse travel plug)

It's made by Masterplug, which seems a decent brand. If it's suitable, I can return it no problem.

I'd just like to check your thoughts before testing it please. 

On the plug, it says:

*Max 13A / 250V~

*Check your appliance is compatible with 250V~ supply.

*Does not earth with side contact earth plugs.

Thanks again!

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

If that is like a shaver adaptor --- 13 Amp plug pins and a 2 pin socket --- then yes, it should do fine as it can cope with the demands  of the appliance's PSU.

I ask again, please, what is the appliance? 

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Sorry, I missed that you asked that.

I'd rather not say at the mo, as the item will be a gift, and I have a nosey daughter, who is adept at checking my purchases, and though I bought on another ID, she could spot me posting here as she browses the boards from time to time.

Thanks for all your kind help; I really appreciate it.
Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent