Mob phone question (bear with me!)

I've had a mob phone for ages, but have just got an iPhone. Previous phone didn't have internet access. Obv iPhone does. Man in the shop explained quite a bit, but I'm still not sure how much I can use the web (it's 500mb of data) and what settings to have it on. Have wifi at home. If I look up something on the web while I'm out and about, will it cost a lot? I know, daft aren't I?!
Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Now this is the blind leading the blind

When you are at home you set it to use your wireless broadband connection. I have no idea HOW, but you will need the "key" for your router.

You might find that you can do the same at work, at freinds etc., also if you are in a wi-fi hotspot (like close to Maccy D's) you can pick up their broadband. A lot of hot-spots about, quite a lot of pubs etc have free internet.

Most phone providers will have an app, or a number that you phone and that tells you how much you have used, and how much you have left. If you use this before and after accessing the net whilst out and about you should get to know ow much of your data allowance you use.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

@stroppy*cow wrote:

Now this is the blind leading the blind

When you are at home you set it to use your wireless broadband connection. I have no idea HOW, but you will need the "key" for your router.

You might find that you can do the same at work, at freinds etc., also if you are in a wi-fi hotspot (like close to Maccy D's) you can pick up their broadband. A lot of hot-spots about, quite a lot of pubs etc have free internet.

Most phone providers will have an app, or a number that you phone and that tells you how much you have used, and how much you have left. If you use this before and after accessing the net whilst out and about you should get to know ow much of your data allowance you use.

you maybe blind but even i understood what you said ..and i am the worlds worst technaphobe

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

OP  who is your  network provider? are you on a 500mb  per month  tariff?

some have apps to let you know what you have used

what sort of thing are you thinking to doing?

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/broadband/3521229/how-much-data-do-i-need-which-3g-or-4g-tariff-...

has a very rough idea of what is used

my  tip is  find out how to switch off the data roaming  and then only swith it on when you need it

i expect there are many youtube videos and webpages showing how to connect to your  home wifi

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

i found this on   o2 website

dont take it as  law

Demystifying Data Data explained

When you use the internet on your mobile or tablet, you're using data. For example, you might be:

• Browsing websites
  • Checking or sending emails (emails with attachments use more data)
  • Downloading music, videos, apps or games
  • Using apps or games
  • Using social media
  • Using maps or a Sat Nav
  • Using business apps or office tools: such as work emails or VPNs
  • Uploading pictures or videos

Most of our tariffs come with a monthly data allowance in megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Once you've used your allowance, you have three options:

1. Upgrade your tariff on an on-going basis.
  2. Buy a one-off bolt on
  3. Wait for your bill date, to reset your data allowance

One way to make your allowance go further is to use wifi whenever you can. That way, you save your data allowance for when you're on the move. We've got 1000s of free hotspots across the UK where you can use as much O2 Wifi as you want – without paying a penny.

Data consumption

Downloading films or TV shows eats the most data. Sending and receiving work emails with large attachments all day can use just as much. Here are a few examples, to give you a rough idea.

Email – Without attachments, the average email is around 10KB for personal emails – or 20 to 30KB, for work. With attachments, it can be anything from 500K for one photo, to several MB for large documents.

Websites – The average website takes around 500KB to load. And an hour of browsing takes around 15MB.

Social media – Twitter uses very little data – Facebook uses more. Tweeting a message uses about 500KB, but if you're uploading lots of photos, it'll use more.

Apps and games – Downloading utilities takes under 10MB – games take around 30MB or more. Playing games online will use more – roughly 60MB an hour.

Music – Downloading one song uses around 3 to 10MB.

Video clips, TV shows and films – An average video clip's about 1.5MB, a TV show's around 37.5 MB and a film approximately 225MB. In HD, it's more like 3MB for a clip, 95MB for a TV show and 570MB for a film.

Sat Nav – Depending on how far you're going, an average trip takes 15MB (based on 500KB for every screen refresh).

How much data does the average person need each month?

Roughly speaking:

500MB a month is enough to:

• Browse for 6 hours
  • Send 8000 emails without attachments or 160 with attachments
  • Download 8 songs
  • Watch 6 clips or 20 minutes of TV

1GB a month is enough to:

• Browse for 11 hours
  • Send 16,000 emails without attachments or 300 with attachments
  • Download 17 songs
  • Watch 11 clips or 40 minutes of TV

2GB a month is enough to:

• Browse for 22 hours
  • Send 33,000 emails without attachments or 660 with attachments
  • Download 33 songs
  • Watch 22 clips or 80 minutes of TV

3GB a month is enough to:

• Browse for 33 hours
  • Send 50,000 emails without attachments or 1000 with attachments
  • Download 50 songs
  • Watch 33 clips or 120 minutes of TV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

If you are really stuck, let me know and I will ask daughter - she used to have an iphone and will know how they work.

Son-in-law still has an iphone, and is something fairly senior at Vodafone, but he is incapable of explaining things in a way that I can understand. If I have to ask him a question, I just sit and look blank until daughter takes pity on me and "translates" his reply into simple English.

With Vodafone there is a number that I ring, and I select an option. Within a minute I get a text that tells me what is remaining on my monthly allowance of data, text and minutes. I saved the number on my phone, so I don't have to search for it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent