Ladies Binoculars

Can anyone recommend a pair of ladies Bino's please that don't break the bank, as they might not be used much, LOL Just had a look at A*gos but thr reviews were poor on the cheaper ones. I'm thinking ahead for my Xmas present (bearing in mind OH is a skinflint.)

Message 1 of 29
See Most Recent
28 REPLIES 28

Ladies Binoculars

i never realised binoculars came in  sexes

go for a pair with the sizing you need and arent too  heavy

what do you want to see?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 2 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

I bought some about 15 years ago from a camera shop & they were very good at advising what I should get for what I wanted them for. They cost about £150 I think. They still work well but the rubber grips have gone a bit sticky.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

I'm sorry Patch, maybe it's just my mind but references to "what I wanted them for" and "gone a bit sticky" sounds like you are the neighbourhood peeping tom! **runs away quickly**
Message 4 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

Wow carol how spookey I have juat been using mine. Something was cgasing the cows in the field over yonder so I got my bins out. I have had mine for over 30 years and I think they were about 40 pound I had them for Christmas. I couldn't tell you what they are or where they were from sorry but they are good still. Not too heavy but reasonable magnification.
Message 5 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

Sorry poop spelling I am on my phone.
Message 6 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

@mouse4702 wrote:
I'm sorry Patch, maybe it's just my mind but references to "what I wanted them for" and "gone a bit sticky" sounds like you are the neighbourhood peeping tom! **runs away quickly**

LOL! No I am not a peeping Tom! I wanted them for use on a boat as opposed to birdwatching! Apparently it matters. I have no idea why the rubbery bits have gone sticky but it was none of my doing! lol Just age & too much sunlight I expect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

I want them to look at boats/ships out at sea; or maybe look at things in the woods (Don't be getting the wrong idea, LOL) I mean birds, squirrels etc. Someone said 8x40 are ok for normal use.

Yes, what a coincidence, Ed! Hope you managed to see what was chasing the cows.

I got OH some from ebay a few years ago but they aren't very good, I think they are D*xons own brand.

Message 8 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

Just looked at mine. They are Minolta 15 x 35. 

Message 9 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

Ok, thanks. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

Carolyorkie, have a look at the RSPB website, they have quite a lot of binoculars ranging from quite reasonable to mega-expensive. We haven't got a marvelous pair of binoculars but often use the telephoto lens on the camera which does the job. We do have a pair of binoculars that Hubby had when he was young (long time ago!) but they are a bit big to carry about. Nowadays you can get quite good ones for a fraction of the size.
Message 11 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

There are some good deals on 'best small binoculars' and others (if size -physical, not mag doesn't matter) on the big river. I assume you are thinking of compact / lightweight ones when you say 'ladies' binoculars. I have some really old heavy ones which I never use and some smaller lighter ones which I do use not least because they are easier to carry around as well as holding them up.

I would agree that a magnification of 8 is fine, especially as you want them to look at different things.  Higher magnifications make it harder to keep a steady image because it magnifys any hand shake.  It is also more difficult to find what you are looking at or follow something like a bird hopping about because you get a smaller field of view.

These links might help you choose what type and magnification you want.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/binoculars.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-Binoculars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxEfy66r0G8

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 12 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

Good suggestion fishy about the RSPB.

I have Sony binoculars that I bought from Jessops about 10-12 years ago. They were about £100 but as I can't find them at the moment as haven't used them in a while, so I can't give you the reference details as I can't remember them... They are the size of a digital camera so were very useful as not too cumbersome to carry about. Olympus make binoculars, they are quite good. 

Message 13 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

When i saw the word Binoculars my mind sprang back to the Man in the Garden thread. What are you up too Carol?,,,, come on?. OH im having another hot flush!!!. Went and got my fan again!!!!!.bino.jpeg

Message 14 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

You can get some small binoculars at camping shops but in fairness I don't know how good they are, I inherited my fathers & believe me they are good but you need muscles like Superman to lift em , & you'd end up on the floor if you hung em round yer neck!.

**********Sam**********
Message 15 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

That's the problem, I dont want heavy, bulky ones. Thanks for ath advice and links, peeps. will look into it.

And Rose.............What would you think I'll be up to????????!!!!!!!!! Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

LOL Carol. I dare not get Binoculars,, im ever so nosey,, im a curtain twitcher at the best of times. If i had Binoculars,,,,,??, oh no i wont even think about itWoman SurprisedWoman LOLWoman LOL

Message 17 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

Something else we have in common, Rose - I'm nosey too, LOL And a curtain twitcher. One of the drawbacks of living in a bungalow is that you can't go upstairs and look at people's gardens! I don't like to be the victim of curtain twitchers though, ha,ha.

Message 18 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

Ohhhh Carol yes im TERRIBLE. Ive actually reported crimes ive seen committed from my windows. People trying to steal cars from the garage opposite and allsorts!!!!!!!!!!!!. They could call me Miss Marple LOL,LOL,LOL,Woman LOL

Message 19 of 29
See Most Recent

Ladies Binoculars

Funny how this thread appeared at the same time as that one with the hunky bloke helping out round the garden.....
Message 20 of 29
See Most Recent