Jamaica Inn

Did anyone watch Jamaica Inn last night? I was really looking forward to it but found it quite boring and kept nodding off. I'll persevere with the other 2 episodes even if only to get to sleepSmiley Happy

Message 1 of 28
See Most Recent
27 REPLIES 27

Jamaica Inn

Turned it off after 15 minutes. They were mumbling so I couldn't hear what they said. The accents were not Cornish. In one scene she had a muddy wet skirt & in the next shot it was clean & dry. It was so dark at times you couldn't see what was going on & yes, it was boring. I remember the book being boring too. Not even filmed in Corwall which was a shame. As you can tell this is one I wont be following! lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

Having read the book, i was really looking forward to it... mega disappointed..

dark and mumbling... turned off too!

Message 3 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

@carolyorkie2010 wrote:

Did anyone watch Jamaica Inn last night? I was really looking forward to it but found it quite boring and kept nodding off. I'll persevere with the other 2 episodes even if only to get to sleepSmiley Happy

Yeah couldnt agree more with you

@carolyorkie2010 wrote:

all- Dark, dull and mumbling! such a disappointment we managed 20 minutes but no more ever again thanks!

Message 4 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

First time i`ve ever had to use the subtitles feature on my telly....mumble....mumble !!!

Message 5 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

Agree, was really looking forward to it, living not far away I have been there loads of times,   It was boring, dark, and agree not cornish accents more like Bristol,  hopefully it will be better tonight, but I shall record it and watch something else, very disapointed, I know the book was dark but this was awful. There is dark and there is boring, come on BBC what went wrong,  filmed in cumbria and yourkshire and a bit of cornwall, bad show.

Message 6 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

Sorry to people in Yorkshire spelt it wrong.

We have an eco tv that turns the brightness down to save power and when it goes dark you can't watch it, so I might as well have been listenening to it on the radio.

I loved the book as it was quite exiting in places and dark in others, bit like Wuthering heights.

Message 7 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

By the posts on the `points of view` web site, NOBODY could understand a word either.
Message 8 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

I saw that was on and looked at the bit in the Tv book where it was telling you about it but did not think it looked that exciting. The title made me think ooohhh exciting but no,, im glad i did not now!!. LoLWoman LOL

Message 9 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

absolutely boring, couldn't understand a word the guy who owned the inn was saying...and as for the girl/orphan....gawd, what a drip!!!!!

nope, I too was looking forward to it but won't be watching the other 2.

Photobucket

Message 10 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

Was just reading on yahoo, that everyone had the same problem about hearing it, apparantly there could have been a technical fault with the sound.  Still not impressed it was filmed in Yorkshire and Cumbria,

Message 11 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

@ed_blackadder_1 wrote:

Sorry to people in Yorkshire spelt it wrong.

We have an eco tv that turns the brightness down to save power and when it goes dark you can't watch it, so I might as well have been listenening to it on the radio.

I loved the book as it was quite exiting in places and dark in others, bit like Wuthering heights.

Will let you off about the spelling, Ed, LOL One reason I decided to watch is because some of it was supposed to be set in Bradford, where I come from. Glad I'm not the only one who couldn't undestand what they were saying at times.

Message 12 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

agree, boring and hard to understand the accents. Will watch the rest only if nothing better to watch, a real disappointment

Message 13 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

I was really disapointed, I live in 'Du Marier Country' about 20 minutes away from Jamaca Inn and love her books, so I was really looking forward to it.

I thought it was terrible - the moors are nothing like Bodmin Moor, nor was the beach - not many sand dunes on that part of the North Coast.  The accents were wrong and I think the characterisation was pretty poor too. Mary Yellan came across as an ungrateful, spoilt brat and Joss Merlyn (the innkeeper) was far to nice and protective towards Mary.  The lighting was too dim to make anything out, the sound was far too low and the continuity was sloppy.  The BBC used to be renowned for their adaptations and historical dramas - but no more.

They should look back at the brilliant adaptation of Rebecca (1979) with Anna Massey giving a masterclass on being the creepy Mrs Danvers, this WAS filmed in Cornwall too at the stunning Caerhays Castle.

I won't be wasting another hour tonight .

Message 14 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

I thought last night's episode was much better; must have been cos I didnt nod off as muchWoman Happy Will be watching the last one tonight.

Message 15 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

No, I didn't watch it but the complaints about it made the BBC 6-o-clock News.

They played some extracts and I couldn't understand a word said. Also, what was shown was very dark.

The whole TV/film scene needs a drastic shake up because bad acting, incomprehensible dialogue and darkened scenes don't make for interesting watching. On top of that, dialogue or a narration which has either music, song or "stupid noises" overplaying are another cause for irritation.

The newsreaders also need a shake-up because Fiona Bruce mumbles badly and her volume tails off making it difficult to understand what she's saying.

I see some people have tried to blame "modern, slimline TV sets" with their small, built-in speakers but that's just an excuse for bad speaking. There's nothing wrong with my speakers which are separates, the problem is poor diction, muttering and mumbling.

It's nothing new it seems, this report was published in July last year:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2364770/Mumbling-BBC-actors-ordered-speak-clearly-viewers-co...

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 16 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

BBC get their money regardless of how bad their programmes are so why should they care? If people were turning off in their droves on the other channels then advertisers would pull out and the TV station would lose money, with the BBC we carry on paying our licence fee regardless.

Message 17 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

well that was three nights wasted in my opinion, wether you could understand it or not it was rubbish, too dark like you say for you to make out what was happening.

Everyone seems to mumble because they talk so fast too! Fiona Bruce has changed her way of speaking because she thinks she is very important now, have you noticed it only happened after she discovered that work of art...hhhmmmm

Photobucket

Message 18 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

The BBC link:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27123439

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 19 of 28
See Most Recent

Jamaica Inn

Another disappointed viewer here.  Jamaica Inn is one of my favourite books so I was looking forward to this adaptation, but the sound was too bad to  follow the dialogue.  Surely someone must have watched it before it was put out?  I suspect the actors were mumbling anyway, as it seems to be the fashion to do so at the moment.   The darkness was probably supposed to be atmospheric, but was actually just dark.  I hope they do a better job with the remake of Poldark!

Message 20 of 28
See Most Recent