I must be stupid

Finally, it's confirmed that I must be the most stupid person on the planet. I got a new mobile phone today which came with a "free" tablet, and I can't make head nor tail of either of them!! I've managed to send a text on the phone - which I could do on my old one anyway, other than that I am completely lost. Is anyone else a complete technophobe or is it just me?

Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

I must be stupid

I'm absolutely hopeless with anything technical!!

Well done on at least sending a text. Woman Happy

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

I normally just use my phone for emergencies but I do know how to send texts.  I'm with Orange and they are surprised that I only top my phone with £10 about once maybe twice a year.  I'm not one of these people that uses a mobile phone as something stuck to my ear at all times.

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

Nope ...the first time I went out with my new iPhone my car broke down ( funnily for the first time too ) . It took me 10 mins to figure out where the numbers were to make a call.

Never did get on with it and reverted to a nice little phone with buttons and numbers...

However I do like my iPad .....its easier to use than the new laptop...Windows 8 ....cant figure that one out either ...
Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

I must admit to loving gadgets, even if I don't always know how they work. They can be infuriating though.

Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

if you look on  youtube for videos with the name and model  of the phone or  tablet  you should be able to manage to get it working

half of the time its just the names of the application (apps) that is the problem

with both the phone and the tablet you can use your  wifi ,  thats assuming you have a wifi hub with your telephone line/hub

a tip is not to play candy crush and link it to your facebook page as you'll go to the games you play on fb

if you dont link it you can play from zero 🙂  and you can delete is and reinstall

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

They bought me a lappy with windows 8.  Couldn't get on with it at all, son in law changed it to windows 7.  It now sits unused.  They bought me an iPad, don't like it, it sits unused.  They bought me this all in one thing or whatever it's called.  At least I can use it!

I use my mobile about as much as you Chris.  If I send a text it consists of about three words!  Woman LOL

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

many of the tablets have a  book  reader,  may be kindle, or calibre you will be able to use it to read on 

oue library service 'rents'  ebooks too

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

Thanks Towery, I think a lot of the problem is that i'm scared of technology. I have put them both away for now and will have a look tomorrow and then try to play around with them both. I have always had a payg old mobile, but wanted to go on to contract as we are a distance away from the shops for topping up. Found this deal in T..co, phone and tablet for 13.99 a month which seemed affordable so went for it without really thinking it through, should have known I would panic. The lovely lad in the shop transferred all my photos and contacts for me so that's a start. Think I'm just too old for this new fangled technology!!

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

I'm a complete numpty with anything to do with computers, not so bad with the phone but only cos I played about with it for ages!. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

if you  use fb on your nobile make sure you have the ability to play videos  turned off,  you need to do it on every device, not just the maun one you use

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

Myraandjim - don't give up - you will get there. When I first got my smartphone I ended up throwing it on the sofa and telling my OH he could have it, because I could not get to grips with it. I felt totally useless. A few days later I picked it up again and gradually worked out how to use it. After that I got a tablet and it was a lot easier. So my advice is get to grips with the phone first and once you have mastered the phone, the tablet will be plain sailing xx

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

don't worry, it takes time.

You can as Towery suggests look on web sites hosting videos and hopefully find your phone and tablet

The manuals for certain makes should also likely be online if you don't have them

Both phone and tablet do quite a few things that your pc/laptop does, though not all

They can get you on the internet do certain routine tasks assuming you have the appropriate apps, and email etc

The screen may look different as many don't use windows OS, but android or iOS

so navigating around may look different, and you will probably use on screen keyboard and screen touch  instead of the usual physical keyboard , mouse/trackpad.

It takes time, im sure most who had never used a pc/laptop for the first time can recall.

It's quite normal

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

My OH got a Nokia Lumia a while back. My fault I found her a very cheap deal. I could quite happily smash it to bits with a very large hammer! Apparently I am meant to know how to use the damn thing! Me? Ive got a Nokia C2.. it makes calls, texts and can take the occasional picture!

Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

I have an android phone and love it. I am always using it for the internet. I also use whats app to have chats witj my friends. It has taken nearly a year to get the hang of it but now I don't have any trouble with it, my laptop however is another story. I don't really need anything else.
Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

When OH bought me a smartphone one Xmas I really, really didn't want one.  However daughter took one look, set it all up for me, downloaded acouple of free games and I haven't looked back.  Really, really useful. 

Would like a tablet because I often struggle with the little screen but that is my eyes and do not really need one.

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

My son set mine up for me. He sorted my virus checker set up my apps for grocery shopping and ebay and he did whats app. I dont use mine for much but it has come in handy for when someone wants to know something like who was that in a film or what was that song that sort of thing. I still have to ask my son things and get the customary oh mum you luddite.
Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

I must be stupid

Yes, Ed, sons come in handy sometimes - trouble is that I won't be seeing any of mine until Christmas. My kids despair of me and technology I have one son that is patient and sorts things out for me but other son just rolls his eyes and makes me feel even more stupis (yes, i's that one that's coming for Christmas). Must add though, that I managed to get on to Ebay with the tablet earlier, have given up on that now though and gone back to old faithful desktop.

Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent