I defy anyone to beat this for bad luck....

Hi all... First of all Merry Christmas... and a Happy new year...

Anyway to the point...  Those that know me are aware I have two beautiful Bullmastiffs...  Alfie and Betsy...

So here is the ( Long) tale.... This happened over the past month...

1..  Betsy ruptured her cruciate ligament... she had an operation about three weeks ago and came home on a Friday evening...

2.. That same evening my wife (Vivien) missed the bottom step and 'hurt' her foot... took her to the A&E on the Saturday morning and after 4 hours it was determined she had broke a bone ....   the nurse gace her a boot and  said come back next week to see doctor...

So we came back and the doctor showed some concern and arranged for a CT scan.. and made an appointment to see an orthopaedic surgeon .. At the appointment the surgeon took more X-rays and gave us the news that her foot was broken in 4 places... including a very serious break to a bone called the LIS FRANC... ( google it )...  he was very blunt in his synopsis and told us to go home and foor Viv to lay on her back with her leg elevated and not to do anything until the following Tuesday when he will operate on it... he said  Quote/Unquote... It is so bad that if the surgery is not successful it could lead to an amputation..!!!!!.. So in she goes and has a plate and bolts and screws in her foot... now back home with her leg up in the air for two more weeks then a revisit to the hospital.....

HOWEVER>>>>>>> The Sunday following the Friday that this all happened I was walking Alfie and I noticed he was walking funny... almost like Bambi on Ice..... a visit to the vets suggested he may have WOBBLERS...   ????  Never heard of it.... So we got referred to Noel Fitzpatrick for a MRI and CT scan .. to be told yes he does have wobblers... So last Tuesday he had an operation to free up his trapped spinal cord with the incertion of metal screws and bolts..... he is now home with a totally shaved chest and a 7 inch cut down his neck.....  

Could it get any worse....  Oh yes... While all this was going on ... I had the worse attack of Gout in BOTH feet I have had for years....

as the only one who was allowed to 'walk'  I was more or less on my hands and knees tryint to look after wife...alfie..betsey...

MERRY CHRISTMAS.....

Oh and by the way....  for reasons I will explain if requested........   NO pet insurance.....  Smiley Sad

Ignore anything under this ^^^^^ line... It's just my signature....
Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

What an absolutely awful run of bad luck!I hope that's the end of it for a very very long time.  I won't say it can't get any worse because I bet it can, but I HOPE it doesn't and that all four of you make a speedy recovery!

Oh, and Happy Christmas!

dog leg.pngvivien.jpg

Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

Wow! Hope things improve for you all. Merry Christmas !.

**********Sam**********
Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

Oh dear ....how dreadful for you all...

Lets hope that the New Year brings much better fortune ........
Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

I hope your wifes operation is sucsessful & that next year brings better things.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

Hello

Merry Christmas to you too !!

I mean this is truly weird = 2 dogs your wife & yourself with similar problems ??!!  I hope you all get well soon !!!

Hope that your wife's surgery is a success & that you can all have a great Christmas !!!

Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

Hi..

I know.. You couldn't script that 4 'people' in one house would all have problems with their legs within days of each other....

As you say..... truly weird....

Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

That's bad luck I wouldn't want to beat .

I do get gout in either feet but luckily so far not in both at the same time, many people don't appreciate just how painful it is.

Hope your wife's foot mends okay and the dogs recover.

Thank you all for your kind words.....

And Bank.... As you say unless you have had a severe attack of gout...  you cannot begin to describe the pain...

Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

oh mr E.............. how blerdy awful for you........... i am not religious...but I think its time you had some good luck.download.jpg

Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

oh your poor wife, and the poor dogs too! ooooh did you see Noel himself, he's such a lovely man.

I do hope 2015 will be better for you and your wife. Merry Christmas and that's said with meaning, trust me I know all about bad luck.

Photobucket

Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

So sorry for you with all the problems.  The lady across the road from me has problems with gout which has just flared up again. 

Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

@captainbovine wrote:

oh your poor wife, and the poor dogs too! ooooh did you see Noel himself, he's such a lovely man.

I do hope 2015 will be better for you and your wife. Merry Christmas and that's said with meaning, trust me I know all about bad luck.

Hi CB... Yes I met him.. he did the operation....  He certainly is a genuinely genuine guy.... So warm and compassionate...

Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

While I sympathise with your bad luck please remember this:-

You have food on the table, a roof over your head and friends to help you.

That puts you in the wealthiest 1% of the world's population.

Count your blessings and your curses will fade away.

Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

The moaners and groaners would do well to read this thread as it truly demonstrates how lucky most of us are.

Walking the dog this morning I met another regular dog walker and after asking how he was, he replied "I've had better Christmases".

He went on to explain that he had both of his daughters in hospital. One had fallen and broken her hip and had developed pneumonia and that "Things were not looking too good".

The other daughter was having a total hysterectomy!

Phew, I'm counting my lucky stars, how about you all?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

Yes I am very grateful for everything good in my life. There are always people around you whose suffering you know nothing about. Always try to be kind as many people keep their troubles to themselves & they are often hurting inside.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

how very true Maggie, you never know what is truly happening to people you meet.

I count my blessings every day....when I wake up!!!

Photobucket

Message 17 of 17
See Most Recent