Happy Ever After - Butterflies

Seems like a romantic start to the day what with Fishy's Anniversary!

What would your tips be for a good relationship or marriage?  Love to hear your thoughts.  My last relationship lasted 13 years but I think it failed because we stopped working at it.

Maybe - just maybe... I have the glimmer of something new if the butterflies are anything to go by.  What are your secrets for making those butterflies last or at least not fly away!?  

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

Talk to each other, communicate. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

Patience and understanding

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

compramise, you can't have it all your own way.

laughter.....

and respect for each other.

I'm 36yrs next Marchheart

Photobucket

Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

I would say that whilst having shared interests is important, so is having separate interests and also spending at least short periods away from each other  (like when at work).

It will be 39 years in a couple of weeks.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

Just celebrated my 39th anniversary ........

It takes a lot of things including a bit of luck in the first instance. Marriage and relationships are not easy as people change and grow over time. The person you first fall in love with is not necessarily the same person some 10 or 20 years later.

Of course as a person you will be changing too so the main thing is that as a couple your core values both remain the same ...you do not need to like the same things , your interests can be different ...but your values need to be the same.

Give and take and compromise on both sides ....and good communication does play a key part.

Went to my friends ruby wedding last weekend and am going to another friends golden wedding on Saturday so perhaps even being surrounded by other happy couples might even be a factor . It is odd but all my really good friends are in long happy relationships and we have known each other for years.......
Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

Mine would have been 46 years next month.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

Millie,  I really like what you wrote there....particularly the bit about values being the same.

I found this quotation the other day and its really nice...

"Love is walking on the same path with your partner and having a convergence of ideas and beliefs"

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

Talking things out instead of bottling things up.

Doing romantic things for each other frequently.

Looking after each other and caring about each others health.

Supporting

Not partaking in anything extra marital or cheating.

heartheart

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

All the above, and don't say or do anything you know will hurt your other half...

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

All of the above,

Give and take,

Having a certain amount of independance, (I have seen many women go to pieces when their marriage breaks up because they can't do anything on their own)

Having different interests as well as doing things together.

Laughter,

25 years last month.

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

Stroppy....we work together too, on the same dept:laffing smiley 3.gif mind you I can go most of the morning and hardly see him.

he has never been one for opening his heart sharing problems though, I've had to drag out of  him most stuff that was bothering him.....

Maggie, your OH is still with you thoughheart and always will be.

Photobucket

Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

"Having a certain amount of independance, (I have seen many women go to pieces when their marriage breaks up because they can't do anything on their own)"

This goes for men too when the wife has done all the paperwork etc!

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

That's so true, my dad wouldn't have a clue what to do even after 57 years married.
Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

Apart from one, who is the partner of a friend whose wife died, the group of friends that I'll be going out with tonight, and have done every week/fortnight for 38 years, have all been married longer than I have.  I've been married 45 years next month.

I agree with all that's been said, even though hubby and I are like chalk and cheese.  Food, entertainment, friends and hobbies, are all different, but as someone said earlier, our basic values and ambitions are the same.  We do our own thing during the day and in the evening we sit in separate rooms to watch different programmes on TV, or sit in different rooms doing different things on our computers.  Not for long though because he always goes to bed early and gets up early, and of course, I'm just the opposite!  We've spent day and night together since he retired 20 years ago, before that we worked together.  Woman Very Happy

Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

Seems to be a pattern forming here, Marry someone totaly different from you and do everything seperately and you stay together longer.  We are like that but still love each other and want to be together after 25 years.

I have friends of my age 50s who have to ask the other half if they can go out because he doesn't like to be on his own, - really!

Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent