First date....help wanted from you lovely ladies

Ladies............first of all thanks for all your welcome back wishes....muchly appreciated.

An update and a bit of advice required.

Been chatting to a lovely man via one of the online dating sites. He made the first contact so he obviously liked my photo and write up. We have been writing for about a week now - nice long chatty emails and decided to meet up on Sunday for a meal out. He looks really sweet and he lives on a boat.

Question is this..........I am 51 and he is 56 so a nice gap in the age..........but..............the question is what do I wear? I am a slim figure and normally at weekends I live in my skinny jeans or leggings as that is what I feel good in and makes the best of my long legs (but short body LOL).

Advice............please and thanks. Lots of hugs sent to you all.

Remember - it takes 17 muscles to smile and 44 muscles to frown - SO KEEP SMILING 🙂
Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

I'd love to help you but I would be in the same position, so I'm watching with interest myself, either way enjoy yourself & I hope everything goes well for you! Sam.

**********Sam**********
Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

Wear whatever you feel best in .....its just about being yourself .....

It really depends on where you are going to eat ...theres no reason to " dress to impress" if its just a nice lunch in a pub type venue but if you are going to a fancy restaurant then you might feel jeans or leggings are a little too casual.

Having said that it depends on what you put on with your jeans / leggings .....you could dress them up with a dressy top and still look fabulous .....very chic

Wear whatever you feel suits YOU best ....that will give you confidence to know you look great ....
Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

Wear what you feel comfortable in most hun 🙂 He shouldn't judge you by your looks & appearance if he's got anything about himself anyway 🙂
Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

Post moved to the get real look in the mirror flatter yourself society.....

Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

As others have said, wear what makes you feel good. Dress as you would if you were going for the same meal with a friend or family member. 

Most places you don't have to dress especially smart. If you're comfy in leggings and you feel good in them, then wear them with a nice top and maybe a smart jacket. If you don't have a jacket, then accesorise with a scarf or beads or whatever is you.

Please do be careful. Please tell someone responsible where you are going and who you are meeting and when you expect to be home. I'm sure everything will be fine, but just so someone knows where you are.

Hope you have a great time and it works out for you both Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

Oh great news Tintin, I'm really pleased for you.  Hope it goes really well.

As to what to wear, don't worry too much, a lot of blokes couldn't even tell anyone

what their other half is wearing when they're stood next to them!  Just a blokey thing

I think.  That said, you obviously want to impress but not go over the top, so I would

say as others, wear what you feel comfortable in - smartish casual would be fine

for most weekendy type things, unless he's taking you to the Ritz!  Seriously, you

want to impress him but you want him to see you, as you normally are, and your

personality is more important than what you look like, most blokes won't remember

what you're wearing but they'll always remember a nice person.  You are a nice

person so you'll be ok!

Hope it goes really well.  Yes, do make sure you're safe, tell somebody where

you are going and who you're meeting.  Any bloke worth their weight will totally

understand you doing that.

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

As a 'bloke' may I venture the following suggestion.

Too show off your long legs/slim figure an 'A-line' skirt to the knee area or below with a blouse (ideally a neutral colour) with a casual jacket (Blazer or similar).

Accessorise with a Pashmina and descreet jewellery (earings and a brooch maybe).

It is what my wife wore on our first date and its simplicity showed her off to her finest and blew me out of the water.

(now married 10 years and still going strong).

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

Hello Tintin, how exciting!  My advice is to wear something that you have worn before that you know makes you feel good but you are comfortable in wearing.  Something that shows off your shape a little without being revealing.  

I had a first date recently with a lovely guy I met online. 

I wore grey cord leggings and black boots with a small heel.  A grey stretchy jersey top and a soft textured black jacket.  We met in a quiet pub.  I chose the top because it was a longer length but stretchy so hopefully created a nice shape over my derriere whilst keeping it covered, important with leggings I think (!).  I love wearing boots and men seem to find them sexy particularly with a bit of a pointed toe and a heel of any height.  

He was more dressed down in jeans and a bright blue hooded top.  So I was more dressed up than him but I liked the fact that he looked very natural and comfortable with himself.  It was Sunday evening so it was a nice relaxed atmosphere.  I did keep my jacket on not because I was cold but more to stay a little more covered and my look was a little more casual with the jacket on than off.  Kept make up fairly natural but there.  Avoid lipstick and go for a neutral or lighly tinted gloss.  A little spray of a light perfume is good.  

Must have been a success as led to a 2nd date!!  On this one I went a bit more 'tactile' with a plain black cashmere jumper and some velvet feel leggings with a subtle snake print in greys again.  The trousers are a little unusual lol but they are actually my favourites and I wanted to judge his reaction...!!  Which actually was great and he said he really liked them unprompted lol  Smiley Happy  I have a few items of clothing that are a little distinctive so it was good to get a positive reaction for future reference.

That evening I was lucky enough to get an arm around my shoulder and a tentative hand on my knee lol!!!  The tactile feel of  my jumper and trousers was both mentioned 'this feels really nice'  - so I would highly recommend wearing soft clothes with a lovely feel - a touch of velvet, cashmere, lambswool, silk blouse maybe.  I purposely avoided wearing jeans wanting to go for a feminine 'feel'.  We had a bite to eat this time and he wore dark blue jeans a white t shirt and a denim jacket - very fresh and clean cut swoon lol!!

So I know he likes wearing blue but hasnt mentioned it yet...  so on our third date out for morning coffee I wear a sky blue cashmere jumper, blue jeans and boots.  He mentions how he loves the soft feel of the jumper again and how much he loves the colour blue......!! Result. Haha! 

I'm not necessarily dressing for him but Im wanting to impress him so im choosing colours that he likes that I know suit me too and some of my favourite clothes are blue.  

So to sum up I would say comfortable yet tactile clothes, elegant yet shapely and in subtle colours and prints to begin with.  Dont wear anything that you have not worn before.   Always check your back view in a full length mirror before going on your date.  He will be checking that out for sure!!  My first date we were sat down in a cosy corner of the pub for over 3 hours.  But I was told later that when I went to get a round of drinks at the bar he couldnt resist taking a better look as we had been sat down and he had not had the chance!  

He has really sharp hair so I made sure I complimented him on that and also that he smelled nice lol!!  Actually I seriously could not take my eyes off him and I've since told him that Smiley Happy.  I played with my hair a lot - he mentioned that afterwards.  I knew I was doing it but couldnt help myself.  The attraction was unexpected and yes its a sure sign women use and men will pick up on.  After a few not great first dates this one was absolutely knock out!!!  Maybe I had gone with the idea that this would be just another fail.  How wrong was I?!

Im delighted to say that we have been seeing each other for 3 weeks now.  I feel like I have known him for years but this is a good sign I think!

I wish you the very best of luck Tintin.  Do come back and let us know how it goes.  Go with a positive attitude and really enjoy yourself getting ready to meet him.  If this works out you will remember this for a long time to come. heart 

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!,woooohoooooo. I would say as some said before,wear what you feel comfortable. I always find BOOTLEG cut jeans to be very comfy. Their slim at the top tapering at the knee and then widening slightly. If you have legs it will look lovely. Yes if its a restaurant maybe no jeans but smarter trousers or skirt if your a skirt lady!!. No glaring colours or jingly jangly bits and scarves everywhere though. Subtle make Up. Low heels for comfort,you dont want to be wincing in pain with blisters ha ha.

Tintin its lovely and i really wish you the best of luck. GO FOR IT LADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. And a lovely lady you are too.  OOhhh it sounds lovely someone living on a boat, HOW ROMANTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. Be yourself,be comfortable and ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!.xxxxxx

Woman Happy

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

hi tittin i dont post very offten, as others have said meet somwhere public , tell at least 2 people where you are going , and dress as your self , i was in your situation 2077 meet a very nice man after chatting on line and then phone aranged to meet 11 july 2007, and present day is we married and are very happy , i have a lovely husband

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

A wedding dress wedding

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

Good Luck tintin...you so deserve some happiness heart

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

Wow Waspy that is such a great story Smiley Happy x

Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

waspy....2077?????laffin smiley.gif Star Trek...there!!

Photobucket

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

i would go with the others look nice but still comfy, if he see's the real you and comes back for more you know you've got it right.

I always think if you get all dolled up you feel the need to keep doing it and thats hard work lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------
No sig can't be bothered.
Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

Your story just goes to show you gotta kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince... Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

This might not exactly be what you asked for (ie: "help wanted from you lovely ladies") as I'm a bloke, but I thought it might help to hear the other side of the story just to put things into perspective.

If you're going on a date then dress in something that makes you feel comfortable and that really draws attention to the best parts of your figure.  I know this next bit of advice might sound a bit old-fashioned, but although aesthetic beauty does play a part in determining whether or not you find somebody attractive, I've always believed that true beauty comes from within.  Just be yourself and see how the date goes - if all goes well then perhaps it would be worth following it up again with another date - if not then move on.

Good luck with the date - hope it leads to some longlasting happiness.

Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent