Fencing

I'm getting increasingly frustrated - have spent weeks trying to get a quote for replacement of a wooden fence post, for removal of the remains of a small wooden fence and the supply and fitting of a new wooden fence round the front garden.

It feels as if I've phoned dozens of folks, but they either:

don't turn up

don't ring back when a message is left

turn up, but fail to phone back with a quote

provide a quote for concrete posts, when I asked for wooden ones.

What is wrong with a good old fashioned wooden fence, I actually dislike these concrete posts with wooden lap panels slid in. They aren't secure as it is relatively easy to slide the panels out - one chap showed me just how easy it is on next-doors fence!. They are noisy as the panels rattle in the posts. Several folks have had the wooden panels stolen - just left with the concrete posts.

Who would have thought that a fence would be so difficult.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Fencing

I think the price of decent fencing the way you want to do it puts peeps off nowadays.

what type of lowlife takes the panels out?????? there seems to be no end to the tricks they come up with.

We have both types of fencing in but it's mainly the post and panel type, you are right though do they ever rattle!!!! OH has gone round and wedged a piece of wood in each one.

good luck to you finding the fencer you want.

Photobucket

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Fencing

I'm getting quotes for new fencing too. I've flimsy fence panels at the moment and want something a bit sturdier. I went through Rated People on the internet. Gave an idea of the size of the job, somebody rang me back to confirm and tell me what is involved.

Apparently the companies who are with Rated People pay them for the chance to give quotes for jobs and at least 3 companies will contact me. I will choose who I want from those 3. I had an email earlier telling me the name of the first company who will call me and you can read reviews of the company on the web.

Fingers crossed it all works out because it seems a great way to get a job done! Good luck to you too. Hope you get it sorted.

I felt like a change ok?
Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Fencing

There are still loads of fences down locally to me.  At the moment all the fencing guys are going crazy both because panels etc were in short supply and with the amount of work out there.  Plus a lot of them will put their existing customers first.  They could just be busy.

Be careful with the "rated" sites.  Treat the companies and quotes as though you had done the footwork yourself. The people on there are no better and no worse than the ones in your local directories. Some will be cowboys, some will be good.  

New neighbours had work done quoted through one of those websites.  Looks brilliant.  Company have good ratings but the job was not done properly and will not last as it should BUT it looks good and they are happy now so good ratings were left.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Fencing

Fencing

Before the second World War, my paternal grandfather built a half-mile fence alongside a road on the country estate he was employed on. The fence is still there!

Fences are rarely built like that today. It is the type that has horizontal rails morticed in to vertical posts (set in the ground) and vertical boards nailed to both sides of the horizontals with a slight gap between the boards, one side overlapping the gap in the other.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent