Everyone up to date on the Vehicle Excise Duty disc abandonment?

AKA scrapping the tax disc and what it means for the future?

I came across this on another forum so thought I'd add it here in case anyone isn't up to speed with the ins and outs.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/tax-disc-changes-how-tax-7684403

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

I am not surprised that 50% of motorists have no idea about these changes, there has been very little publicity!

The moral is that if you are going to sell a car make sure that you do it at the END of the month, as you will only be refunded for complete unused months of toad tax.

Pardon my cynicism, but yet another way for them to make money - the revenue from all those part months of road tax will mount up.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent

I have known about this for months and the only refunding full unused months is not new and gone on for years.

Message 3 of 23
See Most Recent

I haven't read the OPs link but going by the two responses..................................surely stroppy means sell it at the beginning of the month so you get a refund of the full previous month?  Even if you sold it on 31st I bet you'd lose that month.  And yes, haven't they always only let you claim for full months?Woman Happy

Message 4 of 23
See Most Recent

Please do not forget that if you have a current tax disc you MUST still display it until it expires.

For example, if you r tax disc runs out in Feb 2015 then you must display it until the end of Feb 2015.

It is only after renewal that you do not have to display a tax disc as one will not be issued.

This is important, otherwise you could be looking at a substantial fine for 'failure to display'.

Message 5 of 23
See Most Recent

Sell the car near the end of the month CG because if you sell say on the 1st of the month you will lose out on that full months refund. It is only complete unused months you get a refund on.

Message 6 of 23
See Most Recent

I do believe the fine for "failure to display" is now £100.

Message 7 of 23
See Most Recent

@dark_castle1 wrote:

Sell the car near the end of the month CG because if you sell say on the 1st of the month you will lose out on that full months refund. It is only complete unused months you get a refund on.

I still don't see that.    If I had a car to sell at the 25th May and I sold it on 29th May I would lose all of May's tax.  If I had a car to sell on 25th May and I sold it on 1st June, I would get ALL of May's tax back.  Am I missing something, I am known to be very dense sometimes! Woman LOL

Message 8 of 23
See Most Recent

CG, as soon as a month starts you lose that month, being either the 1 st or the 30th. What you want to do is sell near the end of a month so you have had the benefit of that month and get the full unused months refunded. 

It does not go backwards CG, just the months ahead.

For example, say you were selling a car now you taxed in December last year, you will have lost Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, August because you used them, you would only get refunded for Sep, Oct, Nov and Dec which are unused.

Message 9 of 23
See Most Recent

I just came back to rectify this.  I realised what I'd said!! It was very early in the morning.  I apologise profusely.  Said I had dim moments didn't I!! Of course you and stroppy are right!  Woman Embarassed   Woman LOL

Message 10 of 23
See Most Recent

@chickengrandma-2008 wrote:

I haven't read the OPs link but going by the two responses..................................surely stroppy means sell it at the beginning of the month so you get a refund of the full previous month?  Even if you sold it on 31st I bet you'd lose that month.  And yes, haven't they always only let you claim for full months?Woman Happy

No, I meant what I said, sell it on the last day of the month so you get the benefit of the full month's tax. Sell it on the 1st of the month and you have to pay a whole month's tax for one day!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent

I know, I've already ammended it up there ^^^. Woman Wink

Message 12 of 23
See Most Recent

As far as I am aware this has always been the case.only fully unused months can be reclaimed back....

when does the no tax disc start.???

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 13 of 23
See Most Recent

cookie, from the 1st of October if you need to tax your car you will not receive a tax disc, therefore you will not have one to put on the windscreen of your car.

Just wonder how many traffic tickets will be issued for non display by mistake leaving it to the motorist to fight it out in court.

Message 14 of 23
See Most Recent

thanks dark castle.

surley the traffic wardens will have some way of knowing.i think this is really silly as it will take ages to sort out who has and who has not got tax discs.must be traffic wardens nightmare...

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 15 of 23
See Most Recent

If you read that link, it will explain that anyone can check whether a car is taxed or not by going to the dvla website, so I would presume that their fancy equipment they carry now will have that ability to do so when it all kicks in.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 16 of 23
See Most Recent

The road tax for my car is due at the end of October so I'll be one of the first not to need a tax disc.  Hope that I don't get fined for not displaying a tax disc from 1st November.  As has been said though, traffic wardens must have some way of finding out whether or not a car is taxed.

Message 17 of 23
See Most Recent

One of the first 3 million anyway Chris!!  Woman LOL

Message 18 of 23
See Most Recent

Just create your own little circular disc which fits in the holder and says something like:

"Proud to be a trailblazer for the new disc-free Vehicle Excise Duty"

"Effective from 1.10.2014"

That should give them something to read, at least.

Message 19 of 23
See Most Recent

Traffic wardens have always been able to tell if a vehicle is taxed.

My disk arrived recently with a letter saying I only needed to display it for a month - it will stay in the windscreen as it will act as a visual reminder to me!

Message 20 of 23
See Most Recent