Do you know about foil and cling film?

Just wondered when I mentioned it on the Film thread. You probably all know this and I grew up in some rural household where nobody knew. I discovered it about a year ago.

At the ends of the boxes that contain the devils they call cling film and foil are perforated tabs. If you actually push these in, hard, your products will wiz of the roll like fairy gossamer. Never a tangle, twist, or that really annoying thing foil does when only the middle pulls out.
Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

Well i never knew that!  well spotted.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

hmmPhotobucket

Petal
Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

Thanks for the tip--will try it !!Cat Very Happy

Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

Well I actually DID know that, (I can't help being brainy!!) but I don't use them.    Woman LOL

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

I don't use cling film but I do use kitchen foil. Is that what the OP is on about?

If so, a new roll of foil has the centre stuck down so how that would "whizz off the roll" if you opened the end I dunno?

Also, after getting the foil to unroll, you've gotta tear it off on the serrations.

Can someone explain what is meant by what the OP said?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

I meant I don't use the rollers not I don't use the film and foil.

What she means is, you open the box along the long edge as usual, and discard any tape holding the edge of the foil in place.

In the small ends of the box there are push-in bits that when pushed in, go inside the cardboard tube.  These form a roller to keep the tube in place in the box.

I don't find they work as well as she says, but perhaps that's just me!   Woman LOL

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

I just tried the push ins on mine & it's really good.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

Oh, I see what you mean now. Thank you.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

i have just looked at mine.mr t's  the short foil has them but the wide one does not.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

I've just been and pushed my 'little ends' in but now I've got nothing to wrap to test it
Photobucket
Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

It does work. Sometimes (mutters if you don't use Waitrose) the ends go a bit floppy but a bit of Sellotape puts it right. Should I start a Huggles Domestic Tips thread?
Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

Ooooh yes, we await your words of wisdom.
Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

yes, i did know that, but it doesnt work on the cheaper rolls that i buy cos the cardboard container is cheap and nasty ! lol

Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

Found mine never knew they were there.
Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

I'm afraid I buy "value" versions - and you don't even get a box! Smiley Frustrated

Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent