Days for girls

As a lot of you know we have been raising funds for Days for Girls to enable us to buy materials to make kits up.

There is an order going out in October that we have been helping with, here are some photo's of our makes.

Message 1 of 27
See Most Recent
26 REPLIES 26

Days for girls

Message 2 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

Message 3 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

Message 4 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

Brilliant! I shall post my photos too.:)

DFG 001.JPG

DFG 002.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

DFG 001.JPG

DFG 004.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

Selfless dedication, both of you.  You deserve medals!  I really mean that!  heart

Message 7 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

yes, hear hear!!! well done both of you, that's an amazing amount of kits.

Photobucket

Message 8 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

@chickengrandma-2008 wrote:

Selfless dedication, both of you.  You deserve medals!  I really mean that!  heart

I second that heart
Imagine all those lives your efforts will change heart

" I do love knitting patterns.”
-- Dumbledore, The Half-Blood Prince (2005)
Message 9 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

Truly fantastic - you are both superstars!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 10 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

I agree with what has been said.  That's brilliant work that you have both done.

Message 11 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

Thank you everyone, it is nice to be able to see what we are doing in the background.

I must add as I know Maggie will too that without people like you donating money or goods this would not be possible for us.

The materials needed are expensive in this country and I know for a fact I could not afford to do this alone. I dread to think what it has cost so far but with the help that is forthcoming (we hope) finances will get easier.

There is a FB page now for days for girls uk, lots of photo's and info on there if you like to keep up to date.

Thank you for taking the time to read and we truly are grateful...xxx

Message 12 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

Well said Dairy.:) For those on Facebook this is the link to the DFG page.:)

https://www.facebook.com/DaysforGirlsUK?fref=ts

As Dairy said there is no way we could do this without your support. As well as the bags, sheilds & liners that we make each kit has two 'Ziploc' brand bags, a face cloth, a pair of pants & a hotel size bar of soap. All these have to be purchased along with tape for the drawstring bags & fabric. Thanks to friends I have a lovely basket of soap that lives in with my fabrics so they all smell lovely when they are made up! 

Message 13 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

Well done ladies, I am impressed,  you both work so hard, and I am sure it is appreciated.

Message 14 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

Well done you!!!!!!!. Your Marvelous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Woman Happy

Message 15 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

Just an update for some members who dont see us writing elsewhere.

Massive things are starting to happen with Days for Girls UK, we are seeing packs being made up across the uk and we now have the use of a functional spreadsheet we update each day or when items are made. 

Maggie has opened a private group for the people who sew or help with organizing, very useful as we can swap ideas and just last week I know 2 of the ladies sat sewing like bats out of hell into the night to get an order finished quick.

On Friday Pam (my sister who helps sew too)and I took a big box of 40 DFG kits and met up with a lady Vicar (Chaplain) who is taking 200 kits along with 3 other ladies to Malawi, fly out this evening. We met at a hotel in Canterbury and had a coffee together and lovely chat. Come along girls she said we must have something sweet with it and the treat is on me as you have been so kind to sew all these kits! Latte coffee and apple pie with lashings of cream was enjoyed!lol

Really lovely interesting lady and she hopes to continue helping us in future.

The DFG advisors have asked us not to make face cloths anymore or buy the thick flannels, they seem to be harbouring germs so they said the cheapie flannels are best.  We know some of you lovely peeps like to send us flannels so we just wanted to pass on the info to you, dont want any money wasted and it is kind of you all to keep helping us out. I found some lovely bright coloured ones yesterday in £land, packs of 3 for £1, nice and thin just what they asked for.

As its MDCC weekend we thought you might like to catch up on where we are in the UK sewing and packing as usual. Lots going on behind the scenes with DFG and after meeting with that lovely lady Vicar we know next year we are going to be busier than ever.

Good luck this week girls with MDCC and thank you for all your help and kindness shown to us.

Maggie Yvonne & Pam..xxx

Message 16 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

There are going to Malawi, they are taken out of the box and suit cases are filled.

Message 17 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

@dairyview123 wrote:

The DFG advisors have asked us not to make face cloths anymore or buy the thick flannels, they seem to be harbouring germs so they said the cheapie flannels are best.  We know some of you lovely peeps like to send us flannels so we just wanted to pass on the info to you, dont want any money wasted and it is kind of you all to keep helping us out. I found some lovely bright coloured ones yesterday in £land, packs of 3 for £1, nice and thin just what they asked for.

The Asda Smartprice - when they have them are 3 or 4 for under a £1 but they only come in white.  They are very thin, serviceable and do take a while to resemble cardboard(have a family who think wet facecloths belong in a heap in a hidden corner of bathroom!!!).

Message 18 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

Great post Yvonne.:) White isn't very practical. We need bright or dark colours. Same with the knickers we send out. My 35 are on their way to Malawi too. I think it's Tanzania & East Sudan next! 

Good quality coloured/patterned flannelette fabric is getting hard to find at affordable prices too. The American ladies who make for DFG have the advantage of gorgeous flannel at cheap prices. I don't find dyeing the flannel is very sucsessful so must find a supplier as Yvonnes has sold out! lol 

I shall be MDCC listing for DFG this month to raise some more pennies to buy fabric. 

DFG 001.JPG

DFG 002.JPG

Message 19 of 27
See Most Recent

Days for girls

Wow, just spotted this

Such dedication and kindness. xxx

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye