Photobucketyes the light stuff that do'nt stick together

have the loose stuff and a plastis scoop

the clay stuff is heavey once used

thank God for a balcony and three semi wild cats

Petal
Message 2 of 15
See Most Recent

Cat Litter, Clumping or non clumping

I live on the 9th floor, no balcony, and one 8 year old house cat.

She is very clean and always uses the litter box, but I can never decide if the clumping or non clumping is better.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 15
See Most Recent

Photobucketi know you mentioned it before on RT, forgot to say buying a big bag is cheaper too

i could'nt get on with the clumpy stuff to hard to empty and lift

Petal
Message 4 of 15
See Most Recent

I use the Grey gravel one at the moment but i find the cheaper it is the more the gravel is bigger so i tend to get a middling price thats comfortable on pussos feet. I presume this is non clumping!!. Its ok but as i said before tends to travel a little to other rooms still but not badly.Woman Happy

Message 5 of 15
See Most Recent

I use white crystals with little coloured bits in it. The coloured bits are perfumed (eg lavendar) and all the crystals absorb odour instantly, it seems to last a long time if you scoop out the solid matter. I have to send away for it, don't suppose I can name the brand on here? It does cost a bit more than some other brands but lasts ages so I think it works out cheaper. It is non- clumping, my cat manages to make it travel a bit but she is so enthusiastic scratching in her tray that she would shoot anything across the floor.

Message 6 of 15
See Most Recent

I don`t get problems with litter travelling, as she always wipes her feet before leaving litter box.

And nothing scoots across the floor, as I use a large deep plastic storage box as a litter box as opposed to a tray.

At present I am using supermarket everyday value litter, and supplement it with litter freshener which absorbs odour.

I scoop out any solids and tie up in nappy bags (30p for 300)  then put it into carrier bags with other rubbish.

Just wondered if the clumping variety would enable scooping out of pee

Photobucket
Message 7 of 15
See Most Recent

I can never understand why they make litter boxes so small, I have always used a small storage box as well, about 7 inch high does a much better job. I prefer the non clumping although I have just bought a cheap bag of the clumping stuff from aldi because it was convienient, I will probably end up moaning about it though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
No sig can't be bothered.
Message 8 of 15
See Most Recent

The one I use is 21 inches x 13 inches and 10 inches high, with a shallow layer of litter in the bottom.

No matter how much she scratches, it all stays within the box.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 15
See Most Recent

no matter what tray or box I use Coco manages to make the litter fly, I did try a lidded one but she wouldn't use it, but apart from that she will use most types. I tried a deep storage box but she perched on the edge and fidgeted around until she managed to tip it over. I'm used to clearing it up several times a day now and it's no big deal really.

Message 10 of 15
See Most Recent

I find the sawdust compressed into pellets best..no smell and turns back to sawdust when used so you can see when it needs emptying as you can`t tell by odour as there is none.

Why bag the solids ?  haven`t you got a loo...flush it away (NOT in a bag, just from the scoop)...if you keep the litter tray in the bathroom it makes it easier also as they don`t like a tray near their food.

Message 11 of 15
See Most Recent

myra, I have a couple of pieces of paving slab in the bottom to weight it down, so that it doesnt tip up.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 15
See Most Recent

I use (well my cat does) wood pellets, litter tray is in the downstairs loo & "solids" get flushed.
I have had cats constantly for over 30yrs (only 4) but my newest little fur baby is the only one that doesn't kick litter all over the floor 

" I do love knitting patterns.”
-- Dumbledore, The Half-Blood Prince (2005)
Message 13 of 15
See Most Recent

The sawdust is easy to vacuum up though..I tried that heavy Asda stuff, could barely carry the box (its a large tray with a clip on shield about 4 extra height and slanted in, absolutey no overspill, Last 4 cats have used it ).......the clay stuff trod into the carpet .

Message 14 of 15
See Most Recent

I use non-clumping and just scoop out any poo with a pooper-scooper.

Have to say though that the tray is rarely used, it's only down at night when

cats are inside, or when we leave them occasionally overnight.  Any longer

than overnight somebody would come in and mind them.

The non-clumping stuff is generally cheaper and lighter to carry.

Message 15 of 15
See Most Recent