Buy in advance and take a chance?

Browsing through a card shop looking at Valentine cards for my wife, I espied some very nice boxed 50th. anniversary  cards.  I know it's fourteen years to go but while I have a (very!) little bit of money I was actually tempted to buy it there and then and then put it aside out of sight where it would never be seen.  If God spares me that long I'll be coming up to eighty and may not even be ably to get about.  Come the time the card would also be a lot, lot more, and they might not even have the same style.  My daughter is mortified, saying anything could happen in that time and not to tempt fate, but barring accidents or worse we're not likely to part company!  I'd bought a card three years ahead on a previous occasion and nothing untoward happened, or maybe I should just concentrate on my ruby, four years from now..

Is it taking a chance - tempting fate?  Have you bought stuff in advance, and if so, by how many years?

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Lovely idea--go for it !!

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

I had a card especially made in advance for my husbands birthday, about 6 years ago. When his birthday came around I forgot I had it and bought another. I've forgotten every year since too and it's languishing in by bedside drawer, sad, lonely and forgotten, and yearning for the mantlepiece.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Awe - heartSmiley Very Happy  As long as it didn't have a specific year.  Somebody said to me to tie a knot on a handkerchief, but I use the cuff of my shirt!Smiley LOL and even if I did, I'd forget what I was suppose to remember!

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

How lovely to see a gentleman of mature years buying his wife a Valentines card.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Mature years?  Ho hum!Smiley Very Happy  Very diplomatically worded!  Smiley LOL  

In actual fact where I worked in the City - London's square mile where all the big business is done, it is nigh on impossible to buy a "normal" Valentine card.  They're all smutty joke cards, full of sexual innuendos - it's just not on.  It takes me a long time to find an appropriate card.  Officially it's meant to be from an unknown admirer but that's been turned on it's head by the fact that some of the more presentable cards actually say "To my beloved wife." or "To my wonderful husband."  

On the rare occasions I have a few pounds to spare I can either buy myself a drink which I'd enjoy, buy my wife a couple of snowballs - she's not a heavy drinker, or buy a small bunch of flowers which we'd all enjoy for at least a week, so I usually go for the third option.  Buy them before they open up fully and they represent the growing contentment of married life.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Aah, what a sweetie you are, hope your wife realised that she's got a good 'un!

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Well Fred, wish you had been around to influence my husband.  Took years to convince him not to buy the first card he saw.

With persuasion (and a few tantrums) I now get big stonkers, with interleaved pages, 'To The Best Wife In The World', with bonny sentimal rhymes, Valentines, Birthday, Anniversary and Christmas. Woman Tongue  Quite right too!

Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

You wanna clone me? Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Am I meant to buy a card EVERY year? You're havin a laff!
Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

It would be no use me buying in advance - when I wanted the item it would have disappeared without trace and "him indoors" would swear blind that I had never purchased it, had never asked him to put it away safely. It would turn up 3 months AFTER I wanted it, when looking for something else having been put anywhere except the place that I asked for it to be put!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Good job I didn't buy in advance. Had been looking at Ruby wedding stuff for next year though 😕
Photobucket
Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent