Bread Pudding recipe

Anyone got a really old fashioned bread pudding recipe from yonks ago!

Have googled it but they are all new recipes even though some have got my grans old recipe! TUT cos they aint like the old taste.

We are looking for one thats made in an oven tin, dark brown stodge that would hold a house up!

Dont want any nuts or oats in it, and not bread and butter pudding either, thankyee very much so type awaywow

Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

Bread Pudding recipe

Ingredients

• 6 slices stale bread
  • 6 oz Mixed dried fruit
  • 6 oz Suet
  • 3 oz Demerara sugar
  • 1 tspn Ground mixed spice
  • 1 egg

Method

1. Cut the crusts from the bread and soak in a bowl of water.
  2. Strain the bread through a sieve to remove as much water as possible. Put the soggy bread into a bowl and beat with a fork.
  3. Add the suet, egg, mixed fruit, sugar and spice and mix thoroughly.
  4. Put in a bread tin or similar and bake at 180ºC or 350ºF Gas 4 for about an hour.
Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

Thanks for the reply mecan man but I saw that recipe and its not an original one, no egg or suet is used.

Message 3 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

My gran always used suet and an egg, that recipe is as close to hers as a written recipe can be.

Hers was a loaf of bread a couple of handfuls of suet as much dried fruit as she fancied and an egg to bind it all together.

Made the most delicious stodgy pudding as I've ever tasted!

Message 4 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

Dairy what about this one, this sounds like the one my dad used to make when he was a baker, no suet used, and you slice it and eat it like a cake.

I have emailed dad to ask him for the recipe but he doesn't usually look until later.

http://www.netmums.com/family-food/family-recipes/a-z-of-family-recipes/bread-pudding

Message 5 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

The bakers here actually sell it in the shops,  we used make it at the end of the day where I work, but shamlessly they throw the old bread away now.

Message 6 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

I am sure the one my mum used to make also contained black treacle !!

Message 7 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 8 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

@ed_blackadder_1 wrote:

Dairy what about this one, this sounds like the one my dad used to make when he was a baker, no suet used, and you slice it and eat it like a cake.

I have emailed dad to ask him for the recipe but he doesn't usually look until later.

http://www.netmums.com/family-food/family-recipes/a-z-of-family-recipes/bread-pudding

this one looks good and to get the water out of the bread i put it all in a clean tea towel gather up the corners and twist top till all the water has gone then mix it with all the other ingrredients.my ,mum use to make this and we loved it..i can make it but it never tsates as good as my mums.but could be the carp bread they bake now opposed to years age.(loads of carp added)

.................................................................................................................
Message 9 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

Thanks everyone, my Mums recipe was in her head and sadly she aint here now 😞

The one we are trying is one whole sandwich loaf cut into chunks into the big mixing bowl. The pour at least half pint boiling water over the bread, place a dinner plate with weights on to squash it down.  Go and make the beds! lol, come back an hour later and mash the bread with spud masher, add 6oz butter stir well then 1 breakfast cup white sugar, add 1 breakfast cup SR flour, 2 tbls mixed spice,1lb sultanas or more. If the mix is too wet add a little more flour.

Place mix in greased baking tin, smooth over and put greaseproof paper on top. Oven 3-4 for hour and half, last 15 mins take paper off to burn the fruit thats on top!

Sister has tried this recipe but not 100% right yet, she baked it at No 5 so a slower oven may have given a darker pudding.

Message 10 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

i saw a recipe that suggested using  black treacle a tbspn  i think it was

that would give a darker colour ,  i remember my mum and grannies always having it in the cupboard, never remember it being used  lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

i think lots of old recipes were handed around,  may originally have come from a magazine and copied out time after time

my mum had an old notebook she had recipes from school in,  i remember copyiing it out when the pencil  became faded

she had a fab  xmas cake recipe that she used for years

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 12 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

i think the colour also depends what soft brown sugar you use the darker the browner your pud will be

Message 13 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

My "recipe" uses suet instead of butter - never used to weigh or measure, just used to fling everything in and it just used what was to hand.  If there were any stale rolls or teacakes they got thrown in. If there was stale brown bread that would get used too. If I had it I would include a tablespoon of malt extract, or a tablesppon of treacle. If there was (by some miracle) any stale malt loaf lying around that used to get broken up and added to the soaked bread.

Always a generous sprinlking of demerara sugar on the top to give a crunchy topping.

Requires a very large mixing bowl and a large roasting tin.

About the equivalent of a large loaf of assorted stale bread, torn into chunks into the big mixing bowl. Pour at least half pint boiling water over the bread, place a dinner plate with weights on to squash it down.  Leave for at least an hour and mash the bread with spud masher squeezing out any excess moisture, add a tablespoon of black treacle or malt extract, 2 to 4oz suet stir well then beat in a beaten egg. Add 1 cup soft brown sugar, 2 cups SR flour, 2 tablespoons mixed spice, a teaspoon of ground ginger, a good grating of nutmeg, about 1lb of assorted dried fruit, about 2oz candied peel and the grated rind of an orange and a lemon. Should be a soft dropping consistency, if the mix is too wet add a little more flour.

Place mix in greased baking tin (usually the big roasting tin), smooth over and sprinkle demerara sugar generously on top. Oven 3-4 for hour and half.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 14 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

I've never heard of bread pudding. We had bread and butter pudding though.

I like the sound of anything that sticks to your ribs!!!

Photobucket

Message 15 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

they sell it in  trianles in our Greggs

about 70p a piece

Message 16 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

you want to try it cb its lush....

Message 17 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

I never add any fat or eggs. Just stale bread soaked in a little water so you don't need to strain it, mixed dried fruit, mixed spice & soft brown sugar. Put into a greased tin & mark the top with a fork & sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 minutes. It's gorgeous.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 18 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

that's the trouble Cookie and Maggie......

it's gorgeous so I'd eat loads of it, and just put more weight on.

funny how all things that are fattening taste so lovely!!!

Photobucket

Message 19 of 23
See Most Recent

Bread Pudding recipe

My son in law loves a chunk when he is out cycling. Energy food! lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 20 of 23
See Most Recent