Beta Blockers

I have been prescribed these by my doctor and as with my Amitryptyline am nervous of taking them. Another doctor actually prescribed them as my own was on holiday and i needed to see this other one about arranging my chest xray. She thought its like double protection to try and prevent my Migraines i suppose.

i am going to see my doctor and speak to her about these before i take them but i wondered if anyone else has had them or knows how they make you feel ect? Their modified release ones. they can be for anxiety but doctor said they are good at helping Migraines too. Any advice would be welcome. thanks.Woman Happy

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Beta Blockers

Some useful information about Beta Blockers in the link below:

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/beta-blockers

Gen

Genesis 1.31 NIV The sixth day.
Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Beta Blockers

I was prescribed Propranalol for migraines. I dis feel they helped with the frequency of my migraines but they also slowed my heart rate down from 80 bpm to about 55 bpm which left me quite tired and a bit breathless. I spoke to my dr regarding this and she adjusted my dose which helped 🙂

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Beta Blockers

I have them for as and when for anxiety - though as I'm supposed to take them when I have a panic attack, and they take about an hour to work, I don't use them all that often! They work by lowering your heart-rate mainly, I think, which is why they are used for blood pressure (which is what my dad has them for).

You can't take them if you have asthma I know - but if you go to this website http://www.webmd.com/interaction-checker/ you can type in exactly what they are and check. I know they're often used round here for migraine so I wouldn't be worried!

One thing, though - I find that pharmacists are better at drug interactions than the GPs (at least at my parents surgery!): but I find the web md interaction checker has been spot on for my dad so far (who has to take a lot of meds, but needs sometimes also OTC remedies).
Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Beta Blockers

Yes i thought they did that slowed the heart rate but thats what i dont like about these tablets. Sometimes i get very fast heartbeat but only if i get panicked or anxious about something but thats not all the time. I feel like the Amitryptyline is working enough and controlling the migraines enough for me to cope with, and i want to say this to my doctor when i see her to see what she thinks. I take my Immigran aswell when i get my migraines and this makes me feel a bit strange but they work well. You cannot take them too often i dont think though, thats probably why they think maybe everyday meds are better.Woman Happy

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Beta Blockers

I used to have beta blockers for migraines and I found that they did help for a while.  My mum has a heart condition and she takes beta blockers for that amongst other things.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

Beta Blockers

Did the doc tell you you have to take them every day?  I know I only take them as needed (in practice, that's pretty much never!) but because dad's are for his heart and bp, he takes them every morning.  I don't know how they work on migraine, but perhaps you would just be able to take them if you're at increased risk for some reason- like if you tend to get migraines after bright sunlight, you'd take one in the morning if you were going to be outside all day, maybe?  (I used to suffer a lot from migraines, but I've luckily not had one for years now - turned out chocolate was a big trigger... 😞 )  

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Beta Blockers

Oops, just looked it up and reread your post - seems for migraines, they don't know why they work, but they do need to be taken every day. I reckon you should have a chat with your regular GP to set your mind at rest, if you can, before you go away - from reading the magic internet, it seems the dose for migraines is quite low, so hopefully you won't have any of the side-effects, and with a bit of luck, it will act as a preventative so you won't actually need the stronger stuff that you use when you actually have an attack. I can't remember what they were called, but I used to use something that you could get OTC and came in pink and yellow tablets- but I know if you used them too often, they would actually *cause* migraines too, so I guess that's what they're hoping to prevent in your case?
Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

Beta Blockers

I found that they made me really tired, I was taking them for BP. Also you can't just stop them, you have to be weaned off them! I just went on holiday and forgot to take them with me. I hated the things made me feel awful, but if there is a side effect to a tablet, I'll have it!!!

Photobucket

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Beta Blockers

@hefzi wrote:

Did the doc tell you you have to take them every day?  I know I only take them as needed (in practice, that's pretty much never!) but because dad's are for his heart and bp, he takes them every morning.  I don't know how they work on migraine, but perhaps you would just be able to take them if you're at increased risk for some reason- like if you tend to get migraines after bright sunlight, you'd take one in the morning if you were going to be outside all day, maybe?  (I used to suffer a lot from migraines, but I've luckily not had one for years now - turned out chocolate was a big trigger... 😞 )  

The prescription for the Beta Blockers is Propranolol 80mg Modified release, once a day.

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent