Beds Again

I know we have frequented threads about Beds on here but a spot of advice.

I have a Big Double Wood Bedstead with a filled in Wooden frame and wooden slats which a mattress goes on. I want to get a Mattress but want to get the right one before i front up my money. Are there any particular mattresses you should have or should not have on Wooden Slatted bedframes?.

Also i still have memory foam in mind but the ones i was browsing at online yesterday all seem not very deep?. Their only quite thin looking are they not?. Why?. I suppose their substantial without having to be thick?, what with no springs and that?.

My mattresses springs are all bulging and making it bumpy and their lumpy and bumpy and not comfy at all. When i sit up in bed its quite uncomfortable sitting on a bulging spring. Its had its day???. I think im going to notice a difference with a new one a LOT!!!.Woman Happy

Message 1 of 26
See Most Recent
25 REPLIES 25

Beds Again

Rose the very thin memort foam ones you have seen are only toppers they are suppose to go on top of normal matteresses .our memory foam matteress is about 6 inches thick straight on to divan base and I would never go back to traditional matress.hope this helps.;)

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 2 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

I have a memory foam mattress too and it is soooo comfy, I wouldn't want a traditional one either. Do you not fancy getting the complete mattress and divan,  Rose? I'm not sure a mattress would be suitable to go on the  sort of base you have at the moment. xx

Message 3 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

Rose we have a memory foam topped sprung mattress, I love it it is so comfy and warm in the winter, the one drawback is it is also warm in the summer, our normal summers it wouldn't matter but this year it is soooo warm.  Like Cookie I wouldn't have anything else the next time we buy.

Silentnight Mirapocket 1200 Memory Purotex King Size Mattresshttp://www.tesco.com/direct/silentnight-mirapocket-1200-memory-purotex-mattress/362-2790.prd?pageLev...

Have a read of this one it is recommended for slatted bases.

We have the same make but for a divan,  bit pricey but we bought ours in the sale when it was half price, also we have found with mattresses you get what you pay for.  We have had a number of cheap mattresses over the years and they don't tend to last.

Message 4 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

we used to have a slatted bed and in the end we took out the slats and put a divan in it, so we could still have the wooden frame! the slats will ruin a mattress in no time at all and I don't think it would do a foam mattress any good at all. The slats seem to put grooves in the mattress

Photobucket

Message 5 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

That i think was one that i was looking at. I have a Wooden slatted but a girl just told me the slats are very wide apart (12cms) to suggest anything. But i have been sleeping on this bed with a normal open coil mattress and have been fine apart from now when the mattress has worn and got lumpy bumpy you see.

Only thing is i get very HOT in bed(stop laughing) so a memory might not be for me!

I was looking at one very similar to the picture above though. I cant afford Pocket Sprung and did think about getting a divan but this wood bedframe is Gorgeous and it would be a shame not to use it. It must have been quite expensive i think and the slats are very thick and very firm although as i said 12cms apart.Woman Happy

Message 6 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

I have an orthopedic mattress which is brilliant.  It isn't a memory foam one but I don't think that it's pocket sprung.  I've had my mattress for about three years now and it's still good.

Message 7 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

Rose could you not fill in the gaps of the slats with some more wood, maybe ask CG if you could borrow Eddie to do it!

Message 8 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

Yes thats what i really want to do as the Wood is thick, firm and nice whoaaaaaa(no comments please). It would be a shame to abandon my wooden bed frame its Beautiful. Yes then i can get a nice mattress and get comfy. Its comfy just bumpy at the moment thats all!. Soon sorted out.Woman Happy

Message 9 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

all you would need to do is cover the entire slat area with thin ply .would not cost much.

.................................................................................................................
Message 10 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

@cookiecookuk wrote:

all you would need to do is cover the entire slat area with thin ply .would not cost much.

Please be VERY careful about putting a sheet of ply over wooden slats - the gaps in the wooden slats are designed to allowmoisture to evaporate and the mattress to breath. If you put a sheet of ply on top you could find that moisture gets trapped between the mattress and the ply and that this causes mildew.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 11 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

You can get sprung slats on their own.

They come in various widths and it will depend on whether you have a full length central bar so you can have two narrowish sets, or you have one full width one.

This will obviously add to the price but it's what IKEA have been selling for decades and they do help enormously.

A good pocket sprung, firm edge mattress should give you no difficulties if used with a slatted base - I've had my 2000 springs orthopaedic one for over 10 years but now I do need a new one because I need the extra support with my arthritis.

I don't know about the foam ones as I've tried them in a shop but really do not like them.

Get to a good retailer if you can  or more than one - and try the beds out.  Get them to move a mattress onto a wood frame so  you can feel the difference to a divan base.

The number of springs and the layers of padding are what makes the difference.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 12 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

@stroppy*cow wrote:

@cookiecookuk wrote:

Please be VERY careful about putting a sheet of ply over wooden slats - the gaps in the wooden slats are designed to allowmoisture to evaporate and the mattress to breath. If you put a sheet of ply on top you could find that moisture gets trapped between the mattress and the ply and that this causes mildew.

sorry.i stand corrected.i was only trying to be helpful.angle.gif

Message 13 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

Cookie - I am terribly sorry if I have upset you, I know that you were trying to help.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 14 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

If it's any consolation, many years ago I used an mdf base on top of the slats of my sons' bunk beds because the slats were so wide apart and pretty poor quality..

I was advised about the moisture issue, so I simply got busy with a drill and put loads of holes in the bases at random and we never had any probs.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 15 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

Matresses are a very personal choice but here are my thoughts.

My wife suffers from a bad back - scerliosis and osteo arthritus - (spelling optional!).

We now use a Dormeo Octaspring on a slatted base and have had no problems with it for the last 5 years - still going strong and with another 10 years life left in it hopefully - the matress, not the wife - hopefully many, many more years left in the wife as I have still to learn how to cook etc.

Try this link - http://www.octaspring.co.uk/products/Octaspring-8000.html

Yes, I know they are expensive but , for some reason, Dreams are selling them at around half the website price.

The way we look at it is that you only get one back and a good night's sleep is priceless for a good day following and, as you spend around a third of your life in bed - more if you get lucky - then the expense is worth while.

Hope that helps a bit.

Message 16 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

@cookiecookuk wrote:

@stroppy*cow wrote:

@cookiecookuk wrote:

sorry.i stand corrected.i was only trying to be helpful.angle.gif

Thank You Cookie,, for your help.heart

Message 17 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

I appreciate everyones help,,,,,,,,,,,,, i have been scanning the Dreams Site yes as they have things Half Price at the moment. With one woman online telling me the slats are too wide, i had another one sent me an e.mail this morning theres no problem even if they are 12cm apart. They are VERY STURDY,, so im not too worried and there is not but the tiniest bit of saggage between the slats of the mattress when i look underneath. But as i said its a very old thing.

One more thing i have heard people say you have to unwrap it and let it breathe before putting it on the bed?. Whats that all about?. For how long?.

Message 18 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

shrugs shoulders, I wasn't told that, but I suppose it might be something to do with chemicals and being wrapped up for however long or maybe damp, no idea I aired mine anyway because they can smell a bit funny so maybe it is just that.

Message 19 of 26
See Most Recent

Beds Again

regarding not putting mdf on the slats because the mattress can't breath what happens on a divan, there are no holes in that, not being funny, just asking.

Message 20 of 26
See Most Recent