Any Bumble Bee experts about?

I'm back again with another querie.

Yesterday I found a large Bumble bee on the ground, very still and lethargic.
I picked it up, nicknamed it 'Buzz' and put it on some Lilac growing in the hedge.  Buzz immediately started trying to get the pollen and was busy for hours.  After a while Buzz stopped but remained on the lilac.

Today, I went
out to check to find Buzz just half hanging off a flower and again very lethargic.   I introduced some sugar and water but Buzz wasn't interested, so I put her back on the lilac where she proceeded to try and get nectar again. 

I've searched on the internet for advice but nothing much helps.  Is this the end of the road (before it's begun)  for Buzz?  I assume she's a queen after reading about it a bit so that would be a shame if she doesn't survive.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

I think bees need to soak up the sun to get energy from the heat, and as it isn't very warm at the moment that could be why it is lethargic.  I could be wrong but I have just seen 3 out on our south facing wall soaking up the rays.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

I've seen a couple in as many days, I thought they were dead.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Buzz may just be a little cold, but if his days are numbered then he will have been kicked out of the nest and there is not much you can do about it - just the way nature takes care of things. We have loads of bumbles on the heather at the moment but often find one that isn't too well and have never managed to do much for it sadly. How kind of you to try though, fingers crossed for him.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

I found this interesting.

A possible cause for poor old bumblebee not flying.

http://www.uksafari.com/bumblebees3.htm

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Next mood swing in 6 minutes
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

poor Buzz...did she manage to warm up?

I love bees.

Photobucket

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

You said that you introduced sugar and water, but how.

When I have found lethargic bees, I mixed up sugar and water and put it in a spoon or other small container

Then put the container on the ground, and put the bee`s front end into the syrup, so she knows what it is.

On nearly every occasion, the bee sucked up the syrup, then suddenly flew upward, gave me a buzz before flying off.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Hi Mustard, yes that is what I did, but she just didnt seem to know it was there, then proceeded to walk over it.

This morning Buzz is still clinging on to the lilac.  Its a horrible grey and damp morning here so I guess she's not likely to move.

I love Bees as you all have probably guessed!

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

I know they sting but they are Lovely litle things. Beautiful colours to look at!!.heart

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent