American "English"

As Americans call a lot of things by different names, and spell a lot of words wrong, why do they call their language  English??

Should it not be American

Photobucket
Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

American "English"

So? Brasilian Speak portuguese....

Also Portuguese doesn't speak Spanish

Smiley LOL

One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

American "English"

It's called American English!

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

American "English"

Australians also speak English. We don't call it Australian language. I think it is because we are derived from English backgrounds. That is the mother language for our countries.I am American born.

Life is too short so enjoy it while you can!
Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

American "English"

Gee, shocks man!  It's a subject that drives me crazy!  I was quite happy with my server, but no - I suddenly get a pop up telling me I have to use a different server because there was no longer a short cut to place ads up on the net, forcing me across to Chrome.  Being an American set-up almost one word in three is underlined in red as "Incorrect spelling" which forces me to check taking me three times as long to send a text as it would normally.

Here are some perfect examples:  I cant write somebody a cheque - no: it has to be a check!  I cant use a disc - it has to be a disk!  I can't write about the honour of a regiment - it has to be honor!  Colour has to be written color.  Even more irritating than that though, is the fact that if somebody sends me an email about an item I have up for sale, I cannot even thank them for their enquiry - no, you've guessed it, I have to thank them for their INquiry.  A chequered floor design - checkered floor design.  I'm still coming across perfect examples in my daily life.  It ain't funny. Man Frustrated My late father used to tell me they had great fun teasing the Americans about the difference between correspondent and co-respondent - "Sean was the correspondent for the co-respondent in the Wilson v Wilson divorce case."  Anybody stuck with Chrome will know what I'm talking about.

Any other words out there which I can epitomise/epitomize on?

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

American "English"

I use Chrome through coice as it is very good. I get no American spelling corrections.. Sounds like you need to change your Chrome settings. In advanced settings you can have UK or American English.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

American "English"

I use chrome on my phone and laptop and I don't have any problems either.

There are of course words that mean different things in the two countries,  ie fanny and fanny, pants and pants, fag and fag but it is only how it has evolved over the years,  bothers my OH but not me, takes allsorts to run the world.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

American "English"

Frederick just needs to chanege his Chrome settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

American "English"

Thanks for the tip - I never realised there was such a facility.  The other thing Chrome don't seem to have the facility to do is for me to make a donation to a chosen charity.   With aol and bt it came up automatically.  Annoying in a way, because then people see the charity donation "band", it helps with the sale.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent