Advice re eldery parent

Hi - I will shortly be going on holiday and I wonder if anyone knows of an organisation that could telephone my father or have somebody pop in to check if he is OK whilst I am away and if he needed help then organise to get him to a doctor etc.

On Saturday when I went to see him he was really poorly and I said we need to get you seen by a doctor, his reaction was that we couldn't do that because the doctors are closed on a weekend.  Well obviously I knew that I could get him seen at an Out of Hours GP Unit which we did and I took him and they prescribed antibiotics. 

My concern is that when I am away if a similar thing happened, he would not phone anybody for help.  I know that I can leave him phone numbers to phone for help etc but he didn't even phone me on the Friday evening, so there is little chance that he would phone anybody else.

I have spoken to his doctors and they said that Single Point of Access provide a service whereby they would phone him for the period of time I would be away just to check he was OK or would pop in to see him.  I have just spoken to Single Point of Access and it is not a service they offer at all.

I will, of course, be phoning him every day but just wonder if anyone does know of anyone that provides the service whereby they could get somebody to him, if that makes sense.

Thank you

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Advice re eldery parent

Hiya.   Have you tried Help the Aged or your local Social services?    Not sure if they can help but worth a try.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Advice re eldery parent

Your local carers group maybe able to help.

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Advice re eldery parent

i'd get back on to the doctors  and if the health visitor  or  district nurses if they still have them  can  call or telephone at least  to check  if he is ok after the anti b's

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Advice re eldery parent

If he was in the armed forces either the british legion or SAAFA might be able to organise something.

If he is part of a church community the church might organise a rota so that someone pops in evry day.

Whilst there would be a cost involved, you could arrange for a care agency to make a daily call.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Advice re eldery parent

Many thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions - I will check them out tomorrow.  I really appreciate the help, thank you very much xxx

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

Advice re eldery parent

I was thinking about you recently fluffy...I hope you are well heart

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Advice re eldery parent

Hi Merc - Lovely to hear from you.  It has been an horrid couple of years.  At one point I was attending the hospital 3-4 times every week but finally the appointments are getting less and less.  I have actually gone 3 weeks without an appointment - having said that I have one tomorrow 🙂  

I have planned to go away for a holiday, and I am just trying to find a way to ensure that my dad will have some support whilst I am away.  I feel guilty for going away, but my husband is insisting that we need some "time out".

Thanks to the lovely peeps on here and their wonderful advice, I am now hopeful that I can get somebody to keep an eye on my dad - I will, of course, phone him every day whilst I am away.

I hope you are keeping well xx

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

Advice re eldery parent

Also contact your local Red Cross because some of them offer a buddy service or they may know where else to get help.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Advice re eldery parent

Fluffy, I hope that you manage to get something sorted.  Your OH is right - you do need a break.  Being a carer is not the easiest job in the world.  Good luck and I hope that you get something sorted.

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent