A question for any Glaswegians!

So I may be moving up to the city next year, I don’t have any first hand experience of it, but was wondering which areas are to be avoided. Is it like Manchester in the sense that students congregate in a particular areas? I am a single professional so would want to avoid those areas if at all possible? Anecdotally i have been told the west end is good, if not pricy, where else may offer reasonably priced rental accommodation (ideally around 30mins by bike from the center)

Message 1 of 2
See Most Recent
1 REPLY 1

A question for any Glaswegians!

good morning Smiley Happy

i suppose my biggest question would be what do you want to have as homelife/spare time?

the west end is fabulous, and yes it has a high student population, but certainly not to its detriment, it also has a higher population of young professionals, the main "street" i Byres road, pedestrian, half quirky shops and lovely places to eat, half useful shops, Ashton lane is just off there, one of my all time favourite restaurants is there, and all of this is off Dalmarnock Road, its more places like Boots/post office etc, and the top end is Great Western Road, lots of lovely little pubs to eat in and nice ethnic shops, both food & goods

i think the areas to be avoided, would be areas you wouldnt consider anyway, geographically, Castlemilk/Toryglen/Parkhead, and for me personally, i wouldnt want to live in  the Queens park/Mount florida areas

we do have (i have been told) a good cycle route along the river Clyde and many national cycle routes

not a cycler myself, so maybe check that out, and it may influence your choices more

i would also consider where in town you will be working, as Glasgow city centre is built on a grid system, many of which are one way, so getting across the city in rush hour can be problematic, ditto getting back out again

i think people vastly under estimate the size of Glasgow city centre

we live outside of Glasgow, but nothing is far away, and easily accessible

all transport links are reliable and plentiful, we have buses, trains and an underground if you need them

1st post here in a while and i have rambled onSmiley LOL

my advice would be to come for a week, travel around and see what appeals

but life is never dull in GlasgowSmiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 2
See Most Recent