eBay hangs and crash error "A problem with this page caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen"

I keep getting this error frequently and eBay pages become very slow loading then hangs and Internet Explorer crash with this error "A problem with this page caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen"!!! CPU usage is also very high. I tried Chrome but also very slow and heavy loading with high CPU too. This only happens on eBay for me and its become very annoying to the extent that it has become very troublesome to use eBay! I updated Java and flash but didn't make any difference.

Anyone knows why and how to fix it?

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

eBay hangs and crash error "A problem with this page caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen"

Sometimes I get another message "A script on this page is causing a propblem" then I click on Stop Script but sometimes it just hangs!

Its very annoying to the extent that it has become unusable!

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

I suppose the problem could be at eBay's end, on your computer or a bit of both. Some combinations of computer and website just don't seem to make friends. (I find the Amazon site just about unuseable, for instance. Most folk seem to find it better than eBay. Just one of those oddities.)

Your opening post gives little information (OS and version, browser version and so on.) Perhaps you could post back, supplying more information about your set-up, and somebody might be able to come up with something useful.

A couple of little things you could look at:

You mention Internet Explorer. According to eBay's "Help" pages, they only support the latest version of most browsers - more here:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/browser.html

As far as IE is concerned, it looks as if you should be OK if you're on version 9 or later. (Odd that the newish MS "Edge" browser isn't listed there yet.)

It might do no harm to run full scans to check for viruses and other nasties. At a mimimum, I'd suggest scans with your antivirus, with Malwarebytes and with AdwCleaner (the pinned thread at the top of the board has more information - dated now, but I think it still applies - take a look at post #25 for links.) Ensure that you read up how to use each of the tools correctly.

Having removed any nasties found (and not before), you might like to consider using ad blocking software if you don't already do so. This often improves page loading by preventing adverts from wasting resources. I find uBlock Origin very good on Firefox. AdBlock Plus is pretty good, too, but a little heavy on computer resources - better for more powerful computers, I suspect.

Consider trying Firefox. I would say that, as it's my preferred browser, but judging from these boards, it does seem to cause fewer problems to eBay users than other browsers do.

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Hi. Thanks for replying.

I dont think there is anything wrong with my computer. I have IE 11.09600.18537 with all windows updates, and I scanned with Avast and Malewarebytes and all clean. I am running an Intel quad core Q9650 @3.0GHz (Stock). 8GB DDR2 RAM on an ASUS P5QSE (Intel P45) and Nvidia GTX760 GPU and Crucial MX200 SSD. My computer is quite fast and play heavy games with no problem on high res. However since I upgraded my monitor last year to a QHD running @2560x1440 resolution I noticed that my CPU started work harder than before and browsing slowed down a bit. Pages use a lot more CPU to load on all browsers but they didn't hang or crash though for a long time!

The eBay crashing problem started a couple of months ago especially on the Selling page and it got worse since then. Maybe there is a script running on this page that is causing a memory loop or something which is now conflicting with a late IE security patch? or it could be something to do with a Java script not compatible with the new java runtime? This issue might have started after a Windows security update that was installed in the past months, because even after my monitor upgrade last year it was runing fine. I dont really know and I am just giving food for though here.

Sometimes it also crashes in Chrome and I also tried Firefox before but I found it also very slow and uses high CPU as well on eBay, and honestly I find that IE displays the best font and colours on webpages so thats why I like it. I remember eBay had a compatability problem before on IE11 with the old listing text editor before when you couldn't  change the font colour and font formating, and eBay support told me they knew about it and they were working on a solution. Then after they upgraded to a completely new listing editor and everything worked great for a while until this recent page not responding crashing.

Regarding new technology I was wondering if its time to upgrade my rig. I have read somewhere that the new Intel i7 & i5 cpus have a new advanced technology features like SSE4.2, AVX 2.0. Do you think browsers can benefit from such technology and will it be better in browsing todays webpages?

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

topdealseeker

You have answered your own question in your last post.

The new monitor you have installed requires a far superior graphics card to run than the one you currently have in your computer.

I would recomend upgrading your graphics card to a Radeon RX 460 4GB Windforce Graphics Card.

This should solve your problems.

At the moment your computer does not have sufficient on board memory to run everything and is generating its own 'virtual memory' from space available on the hard drive.

This will cause anything and everything to slow down to the point that web pages will time out before they can load causing the problems you describe.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent