Trojan warning pop up on my Linux laptop....

Hi wise ones,

I'm using Linux Mint xcfe on this laptop, just clicked on a website and got a pop up warning to contact Microsoft on the given number as my banking info is in peril due to Trojan.

This is quite obviously one of those ransom scams, I axed the page and have had no further issues but have a couple of questions..

1/ Should I be worried

2/ If so what should I do

The website was duckduckgo, which showed as a source of traffic for my items on another website I sell on and I was curious, wish I hadn't been!

Not had anything like this before and have been using Linux happily for quite a while now.

Thank you.

*************************************************************************************
Reach for the stars, it stops you sagging xx
Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Hi, SL.

Interesting. I don't suppose you can remember the URL of the offending site, by any chance? It would be interesting to take a look at that.

The baddies are getting so good at their nastiness these days that I don't think we can take anything for granted - but I'd be surprised if you have managed to pick anything nasty up.

DuckDuckGo is really a search engine, and has its own home page - I use it occasionally, but became a little wary when they started using Yahoo for their searches. Probably still safer than most of the other search facilities, mind you.

The real DDG is here:

https://duckduckgo.com/

if you want to compare it with whatever you saw.

The website was duckduckgo, which showed as a source of traffic for my items on another website

- sorry - I'm feeling more than a little dim today. In what way did it show as a source of traffic - eg was it the information that appears at the bottom left of the browser page when you mouse over the link to whatever caused the pop-up? I'm just trying to get my horribly sluggish grey matter to visualise exactly what happened. (I'm sure my brain worked better when I spent the evenings over a few beers instead of this going for walks nonsense. Maybe it just seemed that way.)

Still, if you could let us know exactly what happened, and ideally let us know how to replicate it (might force a beer to stimulate the necessary courage...), I'm sure someone will come up with something useful. Obviously, you don't want to post clickable links - but if you could write URLs out in a form which makes it easy to see what you mean (https://duckduckgoDOTcom, or stuff like that), it could well work.)

And I suppose I'd better step out for a walk before it rains again.

*Sigh*

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Hi OE, thanks for your reply

The other site I sell on has just made a lot of changes and we now have a new shop stats page which I was exploring when I noticed that my shop had received some visits originating with duckduckgo, I've not seen this before so thought I would have a look. The stats page just tells us where the traffic visiting our shops originates, some from search on the site, some from social media etc.

There wasn't a link, I typed duckduckgo into search (yahoo) and clicked on a link. Having now looked again I see the URL I clicked says duckduckgoDASHcom.com  and not duckduckgo.com. For DASH read -

Immediately I got a pop up with the message I described (can't remember exactly what it said but it was along those lines) and when I clicked to close it another pop up popped up saying same.  It also says not to shut down browser or computer will be locked, ring Microsoft on .... whatever the number was.  At this point I just axed the page.

If I had a windows computer it might have locked it? not sure but son had something like this a while back and couldn't do anything at all, in the end I just pressed the off button and held it until it turned off. We were then able to scan it with everything I could think of, it survived.

*************************************************************************************
Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Sneaky. I wonder how they managed to get that URL into the search results.

I sincerely hope I'm not being complacent, but that doesn't look too scary. It looks as if you actually need to ring the telephone number given to start bad things happening - a premium rate number, perhaps, or connection to one of the old Microsoft "support" scams. A real cheek if they've found a way of getting their victims to bear the cost of telephoning them, isn't it? Their usual speciality seems to be telephoning random numbers and trying to talk people into letting them take their computers over on the pretext that a problem has been found.

They must succeed every now and then, as the basic "support" scam just seems to keep going. It's one of the very few regrets I have about the fact that I simply don't answer my telephone. It would be great fun to see how long I could string one of the fake MS support types along, and I believe their language when they discover that you're actually playing games with them is really quite spectacular.

Presumably they've taken advantage of all the recent publicity afforded ransomware to use that as an attention-getter - expecting you then to run up a telephone bill contacting them in case your computer is locked is such an outstanding cheek one can't help but wonder whether these people couldn't actually do quite well in something legitimate, if they put their minds to it. Audacity can, occasionally, be an asset. I'm told.

I couldn't find the fake site on the search engine I'm using, but if I have an idle hour in the next few days it might be fun to fire up a live DVD and try the URL from that. Shame about the premium rate risk. It might have been fun to string them along for a bit, as well as watching them trying to take control of a Linux session running from a live DVD.

As far as your son's computer is concerned - as you say, it sounds as if you got away with it. I suppose that that was probably an actual infection - hopefully it wouldn't have worked on a Linux machine. Odd that it didn't persist after the forced restart - perhaps it only installed itself in memory. Or something.

I wonder whether DuckDuckGo uses some sort of a crawler to explore the internet and index sites. I think this is common practice among search engines, and might explain DDG randomly coming across your site. I'm right out of my depth here, though - might it also be possible for visitors who found your site via DDG to show up as DDG itselft? Perhaps they make a few tenths of a penny per "referral," or something.

I'm waffling again. It would be nice if someone else could venture an opinion, but I'd honestly be surprised if you've come to any  harm. It might be worth alerting your site host to what's happened, though.

Nice to see some general computing action on this board, too!

PS - it might just be a good idea to clear cookies and cache (everything) just to ensure that no irritating remnants come back to life to annoy you in future - unlikely though this might be.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Thanks OE, I've already cleared cookies etc and all seems ok, was looking for confirmation really and you seem to have reached a similar conclusion to mine 🙂

I suppose I just worried because I've been pootling along in the safe little world of Linux for a while now and not had to think about viruses and other nasties. Took me ages to make the change but I wouldn't want a Windows pc now, which is something I never thought I would say!

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent