Restart??

A couple of days ago when I went to Youtube to play a video it wouldn't play. To get it to work, I had to restart. It happens regularly now.

Sometimes a video plays OK early on, but later in the day they won't play until I restart. Done the usual stuff but what's happened? Is it something to do with the last windows update?

Any ideas?

Win 10 and Edge browser.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Restart??

A bit more info.

My extension speaker port (3.5mm jack) has "failed". Without a jack the internal speakers play OK but the sound quality is poor hence the external speakers.

So, I'm using a USB sound adapter (Dynamode) which is supposed to be plug-and-play. 

After being away from the computer at lunch time I've just opened it up again and nope, youtube won't play and I got the message about needing to restart if the video didn't play.

So, leaving the video with the "circle" going round and round I unplugged the USB plug and the video played through the internal speakers. Then while it was still playing I plugged the USB plug and bingo, it continued playing through the external speakers.

I can't be unplugging and plugging the connector every time I open up or I'm guessing that port will eventually fail?

Is there somewhere that determines whatever controls your sound?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Restart??

@cee-dee wrote:

A couple of days ago when I went to Youtube to play a video it wouldn't play. To get it to work, I had to restart. It happens regularly now.

Sometimes a video plays OK early on, but later in the day they won't play until I restart. Done the usual stuff but what's happened? Is it something to do with the last windows update?

Any ideas?

Win 10 and Edge browser.

Win10 and Firefox browser

All I can say is that sometime in the past week I often had to refresh a YouTube page to get a video to start playing.  (I have autoplay turned off but that had never stopped videos from playing when I hit the play button.)

It's OK today, I just tested it.

On the 24th I got a Windows Update notification that said my current version was unsupported - it turned out to be Feature Update for Windows 1903 and took well over an hour to download and install, and to add insult to injury it did another smaller update not long afterwards!  I have to stop my live cam stream downloads and shut everything else down, it's a dang nuisance, besides I could be missing something "important" (in my birdy world 😉 ).

I have no externals whatsoever attached to this laptop.

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Restart??

Correction - No externals except a USB trackball.
Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent