Help !!!! 'Your connection is not Private' Google Chrome

Hi all,

Not being no computer expert I'm having a bit of a problem and need some advice/help. It looks like Chrome has updated as certain things have changed on the tab/tool bar ie font & colour but, when I go to certain sites like parts of ebay and banking some of the pages have a letter ( i ) in a circle and it says 'Your Connection is Not Private' and yet other sites are fine.

Even now on  (community.ebay.co.uk/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/21004) it has the symbol and yet the signing in page has the padlock symbol. Sorry to sound so stupid but, any help/advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks in Advance Conway 

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Must say, the idea of Chrome (or anything Google) complaining about one's browsing not being private did make me smile. But I digress.

Hopefully somebody will be along with the requisite expertise. In the meantime, a couple of things to try.

Run AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes (see post #25 on the pinned thread at the top of the board for more information if needed.) Remove any nasties found.

(I'm a little concerned at the changes in appearance you mention. As you say, it might just be a Chrome Thing. But still.)

Check that the date and time on your computer are set accurately.

Have a read through these, if the above suggestions have no effect:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6098869?hl=en

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-fix-Your-connection-is-not-private-problem-when-opening-Google-with...

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-fix-the-privacy-error-in-Chrome-Your-connection-is-not-privatehttps... (useful-looking additional links in this one)

If you are using a Netgear router, this might just prove relevant:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7055/~/your-connection-is-not-private-in-google-chrome...

I'd be inclined to try the scans and time/clock setting first just to check the system for any potential hassles in any case; no bad thing to do so from time to time.

If you've no joy, post back with more information - your operating system and antivirus would be useful. (I seem to remember reading somewhere that Avast! has been known to cause this behaviour. If you have Avast, don't turn it off - among us, I'm sure we'll find which component needs zapping.)

Time for a walk before dark. *Sigh.* Coffee appeals more than exercise.

Let us know how you get on.

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Hi,

Thanks for your reply firstly anti virus is Avast never had any problems so far and I'm runnung Windows 7. I have done a scan with Avast & Malwarebytes all clear and removed cookies etc.

Just turned on my wife's laptop and her Google Chrome is exactly the same, so make me wonder if it is a problem with Chrome.

to give you an example if I open eBay I have the 'Your connection is not Private' icon but, when it goes to the sign in page I have the so called secure padlock icon. Once I have signed in it returns back to the other icon, it does the on my banking and several other sites. 

I was wondering if its worth uninstalling chrome then re-installing as I now think this is where the problem lies especially as it also the same on the wife's laptop.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

AFAIK, the padlock should show on HTTPS sites. HTTP sites don't show it. (HTTP = Hypertext Transfer Protocal, HTTPS = same sort of thing with added security - lots of gen on the internet if it's of interest.)

Interestingly, erBay provides HTTPS for logging in (quite rightly), but, along with Lithium, doesn't seem to bother on the forum pages - which are just plain old HTTP.

Thus, you'll get the padlock on logging in, but not on navigating to the forums (and that might be what's causing the excitement.)

Just for interest, you might try opening your Avast! user interface, click on "Settings" (the gear icon thingie), go to Components, then Web Shield > Customise. UNtick "Disable HTTPS scanning."

In case I sound vaguely knowledgeable - I actually found this on the internet, in more than one place - eg:

http://www.zerodollartips.com/your-connection-is-not-private-chrome/

If you have installed the Avast Free Antivirus to protect your PC then you will have to turn off HTTPS scanning in Avast. To do so, go to Settings → Active Protection → Web Shield → Customize, and finally uncheck the “Enable HTTPS scanning” box.

Sparking up my Windows 7 laptop, which has Avast! Free, I found this setting easy to find.

Might be worth a try.

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

This post made me look at this. I'm getting this "not secure" in "site information" on Chrome and Firefox (latest) on ebay and some other sites.

I'm running Windows 10 and Norton Security. Norton bar says sites secure.

I think this is a book keeping rather than security issue.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Hi, anti. I had no problems  when I tried on Windows 7/Avast!, using Firefox (installed, and whatever the current iteration is) and SWRIron(sort of de-googlified Chrome - the portable version.)

Hopefully, it's nothing more sinister than Chrome and Avast! falling over each other trying to do the same job - quite a lot of similar complaints on the internet from time to time over the past few years.

At least Avast! and Malwarebytes seemed to give the offending computer a clean bill of health, although I would have been inclined to run ADWCleaner, too - the visual changes to the Chrome user interface concern me a little, but might just be something Chrome has done.

With a bit of luck, conway117 will be back to let us know how he got on.

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

I'm the same as you anti in both Chrome & Firefox on Windows 7 using Avast. Everything is up to date Smiley Frustrated

not secure.png

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

I've run ADWCleaner, nothing relevant found and no change

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Hi, anti.

I was actually thinking of conway117's computer, as he mentioned changes to Chrome's appearance. I couldn't help wondering whether the odd toolbar/browser hijacker or something had installed itself. AdwCleaner seems to do a good job with that sort of thing, if my reading's correct.

It's certainly easy to be alarmed by browser warnings which later turn out to be unfounded. Trouble is, you just can't take a chance on today's internet, can you?

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

stumble to search in the internet to look for a solution for this error finally found one that works for me ehh gonna share this to youll guys after clearing some cache and what now... i did this
Solution No. 2 from this website those proxy thingies 
https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/your-connection-is-not-private-chrome-error/  hopefully this gonna works as well to you'll guys cheer's.

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

I used to get this problem recurring annoyingly - I found that, somehow, the Proxy Server setting had been ticked, so I unticked it and ticked "Automatically detect", then all OK.

Not seen the problem for some time, but I don't use Chrome much these days.

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Google Chrome warns you whenever it finds out any abnormal tracks taken while you browse things on the web. Take the Your Connection Is Not Private  message, while many consider it an error, it’s actually a warning. There could really be a problem with the site’s certificates. Or the issue is actually caused by your settings. Logging in to an unsecure site is not recommended. Let’s explore possible solutions to ending this annoying error:

Check System Date and Time
Disable Antivirus SSL Connection
Clear Cookies and Cached Files
Reset Chrome Browser
Open Chrome in Incognito Mode
Expired SSL Certificates
Update Chrome Browser

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent