(Google) YouTube (and Twitter?) scandalous behaviour

Suddenly I stopped getting notifications of uploads by YouTube channels that I'm subscribed to.  For 2 days I googled but results were swamped by "how do I stop email notifications", but eventually I found one individual, also based in the UK, who was querying the same problem.

Today, after searching the Google/YouTube forums, I found that they have actually stopped sending notifications because:

(1) Fewer than 0.1% of the emails are opened.

(2) Users have told them that the emails cause Inbox overload.

You don't get these emails unless you have asked for them.

But you can still get them, say YouTube, if you use the YT app on mobile or if you use Chrome browser on PC.

And that, IMO, says it all.

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

@*scyllabub* wrote:

But you can still get them, say YouTube, if you use the YT app on mobile or if you use Chrome browser on PC.

And that, IMO, says it all.

My mistake - you won't get email notifications if you use Chrome browser, you'll just get pop-up notifications - a nightmare!

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

SOLUTION for the time being...

I've installed the add-on Feedbro (RSS feeder) in Firefox and imported my YouTube subscription list into it, and now I can get the alerts in a tab.

Downside - it doesn't know which channels I've asked for email alerts for, so has downloaded links to all the videos uploaded by every channel I've ever subscribed to over the past 10 years and I've got 3,200+ alerts Woman LOL

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent